Cultivator in RPG world - choose your MC xD

Choose your protaonist! Please read the full post before voting!

• 1. Shy, awkward and weak-willed but likable and somehow cute MC

• 2. Mature but cautious with the potential to go berserk when provoked

• 3. Battle junkie with strong sense of justice

• 4. Ancient cultivator with vast experience

Results are only viewable after voting.

ConstanTeen

So, I plan to write a story about a powerful genius cultivator who, when trying to ascend to the higher realm, ends up in an RPG world that is governed by the system with levels, classes, etc. But I'm not sure what type of MC I should choose - so it's up to you, readers.

First of all, I want to say that he would be OP, but not to the point of being invincible. Most of his cultivation would be restricted because of his low starting Level 1, but he still would be much stronger than anyone at the same level. Considering this, I have a few types of personality and backstory for the MC.

1. The protagonist was abused as a child and so he grew up very cautious, socially awkward, and is afraid of blood and killing. Almost all of his life he spent cultivating alone, addicted to the feeling of absorbing Essence and this is his main motivation. When in the new world, he can't absorb Essence and it makes him extremely depressed. Mentally he is at the level of a 15-16-year-old because of his circumstances and he's afraid of fighting even if he's OP, but at the same time, he wants to level up because it gives him Essence which is his biggest pleasure. So he should overcome his weak mind to complete Quests given by the system.

2. Has similar background to the first, but he's more mature and is socially active. He can talk to people fluently but still dislikes killing. When he was a child he killed those who abused him and since then he becomes berserk if forced to kill. He conquered his previous world to make it a better place for mortals, but he never truly fought anyone because he could just suppress all his opponents with his cultivation base.

3. Completely different guy from the first two - this MC is a fighting junkie like a typical cultivator. He wants to fight strong opponents and so he challenges those of higher level than him even if everyone underestimates his power. He's arrogant, but also compassionate and has a strong feeling of justice. A little bit foolish - just your typical xianxia protag. xD

4. The last MC I consider is a scholar-type - the one who's interested in learning about dao and the secrets of cultivation. Unlike the previous guys who were young geniuses, this one is 1000 years old monster with boundless experience. He's calm and calculating, cautious but not too much. He uses both his superior intellect and power to dominate his opponents both morally and physically.

Please choose your MC in the poll! Also if you have any additional ideas for the protagonist of such a story then feel free to tell me in the comments!

Agentt

Thighs
I think I am in minority since I am not chuuni like most people here, but it's none of above for me. For me, a protagnist should be at same level of intellect as the viewers. This doesn't mean he can't have personality Thom he can have tons. I have modified your options to my needs to explain your point
1. Shy because he was good and taught not to fight
2. Fought for justice as a childhood game and gets angry when adults impose on him.
3 okay, that one remains unchanged.
4 This one also remains unchanged but his superior intellect is pretty much a plot armor so that the author doesn't have to explain the pill making, armor enchantment etc.

I know they are boring, but it's me, I guess.

LotsChrono

So, I plan to write a story about a powerful genius cultivator who, when trying to ascend to the higher realm, ends up in an RPG world that is governed by the system with levels, classes, etc. But I'm not sure what type of MC I should choose - so it's up to you, readers.

First of all, I want to say that he would be OP, but not to the point of being invincible. Most of his cultivation would be restricted because of his low starting Level 1, but he still would be much stronger than anyone at the same level. Considering this, I have a few types of personality and backstory for the MC.

1. The protagonist was abused as a child and so he grew up very cautious, socially awkward, and is afraid of blood and killing. Almost all of his life he spent cultivating alone, addicted to the feeling of absorbing Essence and this is his main motivation. When in the new world, he can't absorb Essence and it makes him extremely depressed. Mentally he is at the level of a 15-16-year-old because of his circumstances and he's afraid of fighting even if he's OP, but at the same time, he wants to level up because it gives him Essence which is his biggest pleasure. So he should overcome his weak mind to complete Quests given by the system.

2. Has similar background to the first, but he's more mature and is socially active. He can talk to people fluently but still dislikes killing. When he was a child he killed those who abused him and since then he becomes berserk if forced to kill. He conquered his previous world to make it a better place for mortals, but he never truly fought anyone because he could just suppress all his opponents with his cultivation base.

3. Completely different guy from the first two - this MC is a fighting junkie like a typical cultivator. He wants to fight strong opponents and so he challenges those of higher level than him even if everyone underestimates his power. He's arrogant, but also compassionate and has a strong feeling of justice. A little bit foolish - just your typical xianxia protag. xD

4. The last MC I consider is a scholar-type - the one who's interested in learning about dao and the secrets of cultivation. Unlike the previous guys who were young geniuses, this one is 1000 years old monster with boundless experience. He's calm and calculating, cautious but not too much. He uses both his superior intellect and power to dominate his opponents both morally and physically.

Please choose your MC in the poll! Also if you have any additional ideas for the protagonist of such a story then feel free to tell me in the comments!
The first one is the one most likely to turn people off from the story. (1) The logic of a cultivator reaching as high as he did while still remaining like that and (2) Most people might just find him innately childish, or dumb. It’s not exactly fun to watch a kid bumble his way through situations and not stick up for himself.

Anyway, in my opinion, any of the other three would be better, unless you modify 1 to only be shy but not exactly averse to fighting.

ConstanTeen

The first one is the one most likely to turn people off from the story. (1) The logic of a cultivator reaching as high as he did while still remaining like that and (2) Most people might just find him innately childish, or dumb. It’s not exactly fun to watch a kid bumble his way through situations and not stick up for himself.

Anyway, in my opinion, any of the other three would be better, unless you modify 1 to only be shy but not exactly averse to fighting.
For now, he's winning, though. xD
In fact, most talented cultivators who aren't MC end up either being sheltered or sheltered AND arrogant because if they are genius then their sect or clan would protect their ass. And if he's a genius who's one big realm above any of his peers, then there would be no real fighting for him, everyone would just give up without resisting. The point is - when it comes to cultivation, unlike RPG-games, there's no really a need to fight to get stronger - you can lock yourself up and cultivate for tens or hundreds of years like a hikikomori. And end up being like the first type of MC. This is one of the things that I want to show in my story.

Draconite

Exist in the void
The first can go support route, but then you have to place him in a team.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

The last one! He'd be really OP, which I think is a good tale.....

Werelynx

How about MC was forced to bitterly cultivate by his parents, both old immortals. He just wants to <insert nonsensical desire like reading books, going to school like other kids, playing games, sleeping, eating whatever>. In order to escape his/her parent's cruelty he cultivated him(her)self up to the point when the world itself forced him out into the new RPG world.
Now finally when (s)he thinks he will live his life the right way.. something happens. His cultivation is locked with RPG system and everyone and their grandma is flinging spells like crazy all the while muttering about levels, XP, Heroes and Demon Lords (Demonic Cultivators?).

Napelynn

I don't really like any of the options, but the first one is the best out of the four to me.

Blugon

I feel like 1) is not realistic for typical xianxia/cultivation settings. A character with that mentality would have gotten killed or pwned, even if he was a genius. If you go with a socially retarded character like that, you need a good reason he didn't wind up as some old monster's puppet.
Also based on your description of 3) I am curious, what novels did you read with goku in them?

LotsChrono

For now, he's winning, though. xD
In fact, most talented cultivators who aren't MC end up either being sheltered or sheltered AND arrogant because if they are genius then their sect or clan would protect their ass. And if he's a genius who's one big realm above any of his peers, then there would be no real fighting for him, everyone would just give up without resisting. The point is - when it comes to cultivation, unlike RPG-games, there's no really a need to fight to get stronger - you can lock yourself up and cultivate for tens or hundreds of years like a hikikomori. And end up being like the first type of MC. This is one of the things that I want to show in my story.
Ah then that makes sense, if that’s the way cultivation works in your, well, universe.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Type four, since it made me think of Arturian from the Divine Dungeon series.

ConstanTeen

(Un)expectedly, the ancient old cultivator won with the second one being a little bit away! xD
I'm not sure about the winner though, as it would mean that there would be no room for any misunderstanding and he would be able to see his OPness right away... on the other hand, it would make sense for him to be knowledgeable not only in cultivation but also in alchemy, formations, and other xianxia things, which could make things really interesting... I guess, in the end, I would make a kind of a mix between the second and the fourth options.