Curious Random Question of Dark Genre Writers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

Is it weird if you feel creeped out writing in dark genres?
Probably a silly question. I don't really like horror, but then some stuff I write is horror bit dark...

I guess we writers may not always like the genre we write in. Something fun to read is not same as something fun to write maybe...

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
Not at all. I've written a few chapters that have left me shaky or depressed. Really getting to the core of your characters and how depraved they could ultimately reach is a bit thrilling sometimes.
Which is why yuri exists as a healing genre.

D

Deleted member 45782

Not at all. I've written a few chapters that have left me shaky or depressed. Really getting to the core of your characters and how depraved they could ultimately reach is a bit thrilling sometimes.
Which is why yuri exists as a healing genre.
Interesting.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Probably a silly question. I don't really like horror, but then some stuff I write is horror bit dark...

I guess we writers may not always like the genre we write in. Something fun to read is not same as something fun to write maybe...
Not exactly. When I write a dark character I make sure I can comprehend their actions in an empathetic way, so I can make them DARK, not straight up comically evil. They have a reason, it's just that I only know it, not understand it in an intimate. Remember that "EDWARD" moment from Full metal Alchemist? That's dark writing, where they aren't simply villains but actual characters with personal goals and their own set of circumstances. A good dark characters has to have actions that can be justified, not by you but by the merits of the characters themselves.

When I do it it doesn't feel like I'm writing horror story but a tragedy of my own creation. Here's a character at the wrong time being done the wrong things at the wrong place. They are who they are simply from the ill-fated cogs of time. Perhaps if they're a better person, they wouldn't be what they are now, but alas, reality is often disappointing. I also need a villain so sorry bro, you gotta be dark

LotsChrono

Although I don't publish dark fantasy, I've written many dark stories and short stories before. Certainly, I've felt creeped out, but only in so far as disagreeing internally with the darkness of the story. You recognize its something bad but, perhaps, that's why it can be so enjoyable to read and write.

Plus. . .it's fun watching your characters struggle and sometimes suffer, like chess pieces to your carefully constructed whims.

D

Deleted member 45782

Although I don't publish dark fantasy, I've written many dark stories and short stories before. Certainly, I've felt creeped out, but only in so far as disagreeing internally with the darkness of the story. You recognize its something bad but, perhaps, that's why it can be so enjoyable to read and write.

Plus. . .it's fun watching your characters struggle and sometimes suffer, like chess pieces to your carefully constructed whims.
i see, cool. that's an interesting take to it.

Spica66

Jemini

I view writing in darker themes as just being honest about the world. It's nice to have power fantasies or light fluffiness, but it's always the ones that go dark that are able to make people think, make people examine themselves, and put out the important social commentary.

Dark writing always requires honesty, because if you try to go down those social commentary roads without really understanding the issues or you are trying to push some agenda your lie will be incredibly transparent just due to the nature of the dark genre. It has a way of making those lies stick out.

Really, what you are doing when you are writing the darker genres is you are writing a nightmare. A nightmare is a type of dream. A dream is the way in which your brain attempts to interpret the world by stripping away all the specific minutia that bogs us down and prevents us from seeing the truth. Instead, it gives us an interpretive view that strikes so much deeper at the core issues of the world that you are forced to look it in the face.

In my own series, I have decided to give my characters a completely overpowered set of abilities, and then repeatedly throw them into situations where power is absolutely not the answer. I give them exposure to intractable problems, like racism and this world's equivalent of Israel Vs. Palestine. Issues for which using the powerful abilities they have will either make them become hated, cause the problem to become far worse, or both at the same time. Very similar to the US trying to solve the world's problems. They are a super power in this world, but that doesn't let them solve these complex problems, and every answer they can possibly think of is wrong. The idea is to write it such that the reason why the reader identifies with the characters is because they are left every single bit as unable to figure a way around this problem as the protagonist cast of the story is.

I do not give easy answers either. The entire point is that there really is no solution, so the main cast just needs to find a way to live around it even though it's causing them a huge amount of strife.

D

Deleted member 29316

My indication that my story is going dark, is that I always have a headache whenever I write.

And I always have a headache recently.

D

Deleted member 45782

I'm curious...is there a difference between dark and horror genre?

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
I'm curious...is there a difference between dark and horror genre?
I'd say horror inspires more fear. Just as a general thing of course, but what's horror if you're not...horrified in some way?

Dark themes can deal with generally "heavy" topics too, which I expect veer into psychological topics and/or mind-screwing plots. uou

D

Deleted member 45782

I'd say horror inspires more fear. Just as a general thing of course, but what's horror if you're not...horrified in some way?

Dark themes can deal with generally "heavy" topics too, which I expect veer into psychological topics and/or mind-screwing plots. uou
That was what got me to question some stories I wrote. They may not exactly make one feel horrified (then again, its probably bc im comparing it to other stories out there that are more horrifying).