Custom Color for Default Covers.

TunTun

Hey, this is similar to the other proposal. But I am not asking for new covers.

Instead, it would be nice if the default SH cover just changed color based on the main primary genres:

1.- Fantasy - Blue
2.- Adventure - Red
3.- Romance - Pink
4.- Mystery - Purple

Napelynn

Instead, it would be nice if the default SH cover just changed color based on the main primary genres:

1.- Fantasy - Blue
2.- Adventure - Red
3.- Romance - Pink
4.- Mystery - Purple
Many don’t associate those genres with the same colors you associate them with. So if this does get implemented it would be better to have the different colors be chosen by the author instead of being based on the genre.

D

Deleted member 45782

1.- Fantasy - Blue
2.- Adventure - Red
3.- Romance - Pink
4.- Mystery - Purple
I could see this in a way. Not new covers, but different colors so make it easier to differentiate, but still one default cover picture so its not too many variations. But will mean have to pick very contrasting colors for each genre (ex: Red and pink tend to be with romance. Green seems nice with adventure). However, for accessibility concerns, what if an author/reader can't differentiate the different colors, like say they have varying levels of colorblindness? A red cover and a pink color may not be so easy to differentiate or red and green in some cases.
Many don’t associate those genres with the same colors you associate them with. So if this does get implemented it would be better to have the different colors be chosen by the author instead of being based on the genre.
I agree with the first half of the statement, but disagree on the second half.

That will cause a lot of variations so how will you know which is which? Red is Adventure for one artist but means Romance for another. Since its too many variations and don't follow a specific standard and since it bases on what each author wants, then what is the point of that? How would that be any different from an author picking up a different picture to go on their cover?

TunTun

It doesn't have to be those colors specifically. But whichever colors are picked, eventually will grow to be associated with such genres within the website.
I could see this in a way. Not new covers, but different colors so make it easier to differentiate, but still one default cover picture so its not too many variations. But will mean have to pick very contrasting colors for each genre (ex: Red and pink tend to be with romance. Green seems nice with adventure). However, for accessibility concerns, what if an author/reader can't differentiate the different colors, like say they have varying levels of colorblindness? A red cover and a pink color may not be so easy to differentiate or red and green in some cases.

I agree with the first half of the statement, but disagree on the second half.

That will cause a lot of variations so how will you know which is which? Red is Adventure for one artist but means Romance for another. Since its too many variations and don't follow a specific standard and since it bases on what each author wants, then what is the point of that? How would that be any different from an author picking up a different picture to go on their cover?
Yes, I agree with you. If an author wishes to particularly choose a specific color for his cover, he is more than welcome to instead upload a custom cover.

Napelynn

Yes, I agree with you. If an author wishes to particularly choose a specific color for his cover, he is more than welcome to instead upload a custom cover.
Alright, I was putting less emphasis on genres and more on different colors so that’s why I said what i said.

Anyways if this happens we should put up a poll or something to figure out what color to use for each genre. The colors chosen will be associated with each genre over time but it would still be better to choose colors that people already associate with that genre.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I second that! I like romance, but I don't like pink.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

1.- Fantasy - Blue
2.- Adventure - Red
3.- Romance - Pink
4.- Mystery - Purple
Ah, better idea than mine.