Writing Prompt D&D-like Story

Leekt222

Ok SO, When I said D&D the novel. I didn't mean the dnd systems...I meant the storytelling style which is the DM and the Player(s). The DM controlling the world and the Players usually controlling one person.

The novel version is like this, an author controls the world and someone else( not necessarily an author) controls the MC. And none of that audience voting shite...

Of course, such stories might take a while to do but I think it'd be interesting and give a great deal of writing experience for the participants.

Also honestly, I'm suggesting this because I wanna try being the MC and I don't have the knowledge, experience and confidence to write the world like the rest of you people do...

Please give me a link to your story if you do try the idea out with someone else.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Ok SO, When I said D&D the novel. I didn't mean the dnd systems...I meant the storytelling style which is the DM and the Player(s). The DM controlling the world and the Players usually controlling one person.

The novel version is like this, an author controls the world and someone else( not necessarily an author) controls the MC. And none of that audience voting shite...

Of course, such stories might take a while to do but I think it'd be interesting and give a great deal of writing experience for the participants.

Also honestly, I'm suggesting this because I wanna try being the MC and I don't have the knowledge, experience and confidence to write the world like the rest of you people do...

Please give me a link to your story if you do try the idea out with someone else.
You mean tabletop games right? Roleplaying in a sense?

Leekt222

You mean tabletop games right? Roleplaying in a sense?
Oh, just without the dice rolls...and it's not like it has to use TRPG rules...
edit: or stick to fantasy, for that matter

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Wait so you want a campaign just written out basically? Someone writes the general world and another writer acts as a PC/MC going through it?

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Bruhhhhh that would take tooo long. Best bet would be to just watch some podcasts or campaigns. TAZ is good for some drama and funny bits, and so are basically any of the CH shows for DnD. Their crew even did a crossover show for a campaign called Tiny Hest ( though this one is only avialable on their app rn). NAAD (Not another DnD Podcast) is also good and free by some of their crew as an independant series. Critical role is just fun to listen to if you want a straight DnD game

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
This is asking for too much, I think. As Phantom said, this will take too much time. Plus, it sounds like you want to be one of the characters instead of the actual DM. You're basically requesting for someone to take lead on a very heavy world-building task and ride along with it. There was a roleplaying game somewhere in line with this though but not sure where it went to in the end. I think it was this:

Daitengu

Well, just go through a D&D module book on your own. The story is premade, so you can just ghost the DM and follow the plot with your self made characters.

Sager

That basically what my novel is.
People put commands in the comments and the MC follows them

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
The small village of Grupenhaber awoke to the sounds of armored feet shuffling down the empty street. Waiting at the crossroads at the town's exit point was a large, bearded armored man at arms who had a bright smile on his face as he took sight of the magnificent party he bellowed out in his jovial, gregarious yet gruff voice, "My friends! It is good to see you up and ready. As you know.."

Suddenly one of the party raised his longbow and shot an arrow between the eyes of the shocked man at arms who cried out, "Why??" as he fell and gasped his last breath.

Every member of the party turned and glared at the ranger as the beautiful red-haired enchantress screeched, "F**k you, Jake! How are we supposed to know where to go for the quest now? Thanks for ruining another campaign a**hole!"

The ranger tugged his hood forward and growled out, "My name is Adolf Trumpler, you harlot."

A large armored Paladin stepped between them and tried to calm them both, "Jake, Karen, can we please try to stay in character and get back to playing the game?"

"Screw you, Randy! This is b*llsh**. Jake always does this, he goes all murder hobo and kills all the NPCs and we just wander around aimlessly with nothing to do but kill random NPCs." The enchantress screeched again.

"Adolf Trumpler." The ranger growled once more.

A short pudgy bard stepped forward and coughed, "Gwendalyn, mayhaps we listen to Ser Jumanilyn and continue with our adventure? Ahem, Adolf, perhaps we attempt to speak to the next one we meet?"

The ranger looked off into the distance and said in a quiet voice, "Adolf Trumpler is the best he is at what he does and what he does isn't pretty."

"Can we retcon to leaving the Inn?" The paladin asked while staring up into the sky only to be met by silence. "Fine, fine can we at least meet an NPC he can't one shot?"

"Adolf Trumpler is the best he is at what he.." The ranger started to growl out once again.

"Ok, I agree, this is stupid. All he ever says is that line he stole from Wolverine and kills everything he sees. We played for four hours last week and all we did was wander through the forest killing bugbears and deer. You even gave me that stupid Deer Hunter title." The skinny young mage blurted out.

The ranger smirked and then said, "I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of.." The rest of the party each unleashed an attack on the ranger at the same time only to watch in amazement as each of their attacks missed. The ranger then pulled arrows and shot them in a rapid-fire manner killing each of the other members of the party.

With his last dying breath, the pudgy bard said, "Ok, screw you both. His stats are clearly cheated up. This is the last time we are letting your brother DM Jake."

Last edited:

shotaboy

The small village of Grupenhaber awoke to the sounds of armored feet shuffling down the empty street. Waiting at the crossroads at the town's exit point was a large, bearded armored man at arms who had a bright smile on his face as he took sight of the magnificent party he bellowed out in his jovial, gregarious yet gruff voice, "My friends! It is good to see you up and ready. As you know.."

Suddenly one of the party raised his longbow and shot an arrow between the eyes of the shocked man at arms who cried out, "Why??" as he fell and gasped his last breath.

Every member of the party turned and glared at the ranger as the beautiful red-haired enchantress screeched, "F**k you, Jake! How are we supposed to know where to go for the quest now? Thanks for ruining another campaign a**hole!"

The ranger tugged his hood forward and growled out, "My name is Adolf Trumpler, you harlot."

A large armored Paladin stepped between them and tried to calm them both, "Jake, Karen, can we please try to stay in character and get back to playing the game?"

"Screw you, Randy! This is b*llsh**. Jake always does this, he goes all murder hobo and kills all the NPCs and we just wander around aimlessly with nothing to do but kill random NPCs." The enchantress screeched again.

"Adolf Trumpler." The ranger growled once more.

A short pudgy bard stepped forward and coughed, "Gwendalyn, mayhaps we listen to Ser Jumanilyn and continue with our adventure? Ahem, Adolf, perhaps we attempt to speak to the next one we meet?"

The ranger looked off into the distance and said in a quiet voice, "Adolf Trumpler is the best he is at what he does and what he does isn't pretty."

"Can we retcon to leaving the Inn?" The paladin asked while staring up into the sky only to be met by silence. "Fine, fine can we at least meet an NPC he can't one shot?"

"Adolf Trumpler is the best he is at what he.." The ranger started to growl out once again.

"Ok, I agree, this is stupid. All he ever says is that line he stole from Wolverine and kills everything he sees. We played for four hours last week and all we did was wander through the forest killing bugbears and deer. You even gave me that stupid Deer Hunter title." The skinny young mage blurted out.

The ranger smirked and then said, "I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of.." The rest of the party each unleashed an attack on the ranger at the same time only to watch in amazement as each of their attacks missed. The ranger then pulled arrows and shot them in a rapid-fire manner killing each of the other members of the party.

With his last dying breath, the pudgy bard said, "Ok, screw you both. His stats are clearly cheated up. This is the last time we are letting your brother DM Jake."
can I be in this story