Deciding on a story title

Kaguro

The worse your story title the better it will do.

Watchman

Yo!
Sorry for the Yo! Up there but you know, I find it so hard to choose a good greeting( I've only used dear sirs which was when writing emails)
Anyway, I've been thinking that my story title 'Ray: The Ultimate Mage' wasn't compelling enough.
So I was wondering how do you come with compelling titles usually?
And is it normal to change the title casually? I mean, the readers won't get upset or lose the story?

Have you tried pulling a japan and posting your entire synopsis as the title?
On a more serious note it might help to make sure the title you’re using doesn’t already exist on the site

hastalavista

Have you tried pulling a japan and posting your entire synopsis as the title?
On a more serious note it might help to make sure the title you’re using doesn’t already exist on the site
It's true that japanese lighnovels are the ones that pulled me to writing, but I feel no dignity in their titles. Sometimes I feel like a dingle word is enough.
For example, Berserk
Amazing title. And it's so perfect with the story... But, it was made in the late 80s. Now the competition is so hard that I even need to write a unique title for every chapter.

TLCsDestiny

Some scary factors there...
I am a reader and writer and as a reader there are +'s and -'s to title's.
With the 'Fifth young miss, blah blah blah' it was telling which books were reincarnations and transmigrations, which made them easier to find. The title didn't really state what the story was about but it got an audience.
As much as we all hate to admit it, a title does get attention, as well as that as the picture.

Being a writer, I don't like it. I think it's ridiculous! lol
I regret naming one of my books 'The Doomed and Blessed, 13th Young Miss', sorta...I regret it because it's not a title to me but as I wrote it, I tried quite diligently to make the title about the book lol. I tried to come up with a 'doomed and blessed' thing and made a deal about her being the 13th 'unlucky' miss...So, the title is now bound, as much as I like it or not but...It was something I did start 'just because'.
*Writer mode still* I want my titles to be unique (as in never used before), somewhat dedicated to the book and nice rolling of the tongue...

But

Everyone is different.
I'm sure there's writers that don't care about how to pick up readers, then there's those who want the attention straight away. Who are you?

Me? I've slowly become a writer that doesn't care for making a title simply to get the attention of readers. I like my stories and I like typing them. I hope you don't depend on other's to 'make your story', otherwise your worst work may be seen to first.
Just saying, be proud of your work!

Solstice1309

Are there any complications when one changes the title of their novel??
I’m thinking of renaming mine that’s why...

OvidLemma

Are there any complications when one changes the title of their novel??
I’m thinking of renaming mine that’s why...
Readers who haven't added your story to their reading list may miss the story due to the name change. I'd recommend keeping the cover the same, at least for a while, to minimize attrition.

RimuThighHighs

My title is a meme and the actual name is just the condensed version of it Kodomajo: