Deleted Story Questions

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
How exactly does a deleted story get 'deleted'? I mean, is it still cached somewhere? Or is it that after pressing the 'delete story' button, you have wiped it off of the face of the universe completely. If so, how?

Agentt

Thighs
Why just stories? Where do any of the files that you delete go?
It turns into the magical stuff that makes babies cry when you can't figure out why they are crying.
This reminds of a story I read which said moths are made of magical dust and they revert back to dust as soon as you touch them.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
How exactly does a deleted story get 'deleted'? I mean, is it still cached somewhere? Or is it that after pressing the 'delete story' button, you have wiped it off of the face of the universe completely. If so, how?
Fugging hell, just go cache it, I wanted to reread the stupid story of gunmage but is too lazy to do so.

Remember, whatever on the net stays on the net.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Not sure if serious or trolling...

But it's good practice to do backups in case something catastrophic happens. Depending on the size of the server, the backup could be weekly, daily or hourly, and the backups could go as far as months in the past or just a couple of days. In many cases, the server service provider themselves handle the backups without any involvement from the site owner and will only perform the rollback (the act of returning to a previous backup) by the request of the site owner.

So in essence, if your story was deleted like 20 minutes ago, there is surely a backup that it can be rolled back to. However, depending on how the server is set up and who handles the backups, it could be a total pain in the ass to return your story. If Ai-chan were the site owner and you ask Ai-chan to return your recently deleted story because of your mistakes, Ai-chan would say "Fuck no!" Aren't you glad that Ai-chan doesn't own scribblehub?

Though it could also be that the site is programmed so that individual entries are keys which can be recalled at any time. In that case, until the deletion period happens, you can still get the story back.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Not sure if serious or trolling...

But it's good practice to do backups in case something catastrophic happens. Depending on the size of the server, the backup could be weekly, daily or hourly, and the backups could go as far as months in the past or just a couple of days. In many cases, the server service provider themselves handle the backups without any involvement from the site owner and will only perform the rollback (the act of returning to a previous backup) by the request of the site owner.

So in essence, if your story was deleted like 20 minutes ago, there is surely a backup that it can be rolled back to. However, depending on how the server is set up and who handles the backups, it could be a total pain in the ass to return your story. If Ai-chan were the site owner and you ask Ai-chan to return your recently deleted story because of your mistakes, Ai-chan would say "Fuck no!" Aren't you glad that Ai-chan doesn't own scribblehub?

Though it could also be that the site is programmed so that individual entries are keys which can be recalled at any time. In that case, until the deletion period happens, you can still get the story back.
It wasn't me trolling, but an actual question, so thank you for answering an actual answer.