Details

Fanfictasta1

When you make a horror novel it's always long because if you wanna make it frightening enough you need alot of details but on a scale of 1 to 10 how frightening do you think I should take the novel so far the bigger of the scale to more details there is

LostLibrarian

If you can get a 10 on the horror scala, then got for it. Why would you settle for a 5?

That said, I personally disagree that more details mean more horror. One of the biggest fears is the fear of the unknown. The whole "monster" subgenre lives from as few details as possible. Just look at the great horror stories/movies. A lot don't even show the monster for a long time. If the reader has to fill the blank, the result will often be more impactful than if you write everything in detail.

I would say, a good horror isn't giving as much detail but giving the right detail. The important things. And leave out the rest.....

Fanfictasta1

Great Feedback that is true it's just that it's a ghost story and I'm used to like slashers, and dolls and serial killers the name of the novel is Secret Safe

Owl

Nervous writer
Well Horror isn't the same as Horror, right? :blob_sir: If you write something gory that's supposed to freak people out using disgust, then a lot of details make sense, if you want a sense of fear that gives you chills then I agree with LostLibrarian, since that's usually creepier than knowing what's exactly going on (At least that's my experience with horror so far)

Leti

The most crucial part of any horror story is its fear factor. The more it terrifies people, the more interesting it is. The right amount of details for your story depends on what kind of horror you want to write. But no matter what type of horror you're working with, it should at least be able to terrify yourself. If you can scare yourself with your writing, then you're ready to scare your reader. Have fun!

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Ya don't have to rate anything as long as it can keep on my feet for a few minutes its good enough. Letting me feel the scariness or thrill or suspense would make me follow your book for a long time. :blobtaco: