Did You Go To College?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Did You Go To College?

Have you gone to college? If so, what was it like? And what course did you go for?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I prefer to call it university because I went straight to a 4-year university. I loved most of it and met amazing people there.

I spoke with a friend who went to community college, and she said it was just like high school. My husband tried community college too and got frustrated. It could be more about your mindset going into it than anything else. You get out of it what you put into it.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
Yes, and it was a waste time I got a bachelors in a STEM field and I'd have better career opportunities if I had just spent three months getting a certification for a few hundred dollars.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
yes and also waste of time - I did fashion design. It wasn't what I wanted. The other students bar a couple were talentless (and fattist*) snobs. Opened my eyes to the industry though.
*One fat girl on course, they mocked her as they didn't think a fat person could design fashion. She was better than any of them. Hopefully things are more inclusive and less 'ist' now than back then - this was 20-odd years ago.

EternalSunset0

Yes, I did. Probably the most fun years I had in my life. It's there that I found some communities that I felt very comfortable in, mostly "geek" hobby related ones like anime or card games or creative writing. It also helps that you don't spend more than a semester with the same group of people mostly, so the only ones that really "stay in your life" for those four, five years are your handpicked friends/acquaintances/gaming buddies. Also, people mostly mind their own business instead of caring or making fun of the way you talk/your mannerisms, etc.

My family also stopped putting super high expectations on me academically, and I got a lot more freedom to decide things like how to spend my money (no more asking (and mentally planning lines or what to say) for permission to get a new handheld or to spend on hobbies) or what part-time jobs to get into so needless to say, it's a very welcome phase in my life. Probably the only "era" in my life that I was happier in are the first two or three years after graduating.

As for my course? Went for psychology. I started out in engineering, but I quickly realized I'm terrible at it, and I would likely hate the career path that lies at the end of it, so I shifted.

As for how it ended up? I didn't land a job in a medical field, but for me, college is about the experience and not the memorization/monetization.

I also got to meet a lot of accepting people. Sure, I have never been a people person, and I'm sure a couple of people looked down on me/thought I'm a geek/found me overbearing/whatever else, but in college, you get the chance to not care about them unlike elementary/high school where you're stuck with those people for years without a way to not give a damn.

The feeling of finally having autonomy, having the opportunity to decide things for yourself, the fact that you are now responsible for your actions and such, and that's the part I love about it the most.

ACertainPassingUser

Yes I did, graphics design in a cheap ass university. Definitely not a proper graphics design lectures like those high end university.

Idk if I regret it or not. I still hasn't figured my own goal.

or maybe I already figured my own goals, but most of them were too much and none which were attainable. So I'm trying to change my current go and find another goal that's attainable and reachable ? I guess ?

But Im still failing at finding attainable and reachable goals because I'm simply more lacking than I thought ?

Plus I'm still too stubborn to accept my weakness and still cling to useless shit memories form past ?

Yep, that sounds right.
So that's it.

FiendsForHire

I went to a few different colleges, but none of them ever felt right. I eventually got a Computer Programming degree from an online school.

Lissi

Currently going! It's been fun so far, not sure about exams in a couple months though :sweating_profusely: