Did you prepare for you first novel?

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
I didn't know what I was doing when I started writing. I already had an account here, so when I thought "hmm maybe I should write a novel" it only took me half a second to click the create button.
So, did you prepare for your first novel?
I did nothing, no research beforehand, no chapters written, didn't download any tools like Grammarly, didn't even think about what I wanted to do.
I used a trashy title (I changed that), didn't use a cover image (later I made a trashy one, a day later made it slightly less trashy), had a horrible synopsis (changed 10 times, still shit), have a trashy prologue (thinking about writing a new one).

Having made all mistakes, I learned for my next novel at least.

Now, I'm wondering if I'm the only idiot that didn't prepare for their first novel or if there are others like me. What were your experiences when you first started?

KrisVFX

God of Creation
I didn't know what I was doing when I started writing. I already had an account here, so when I thought "hmm maybe I should write a novel" it only took me half a second to click the create button.
I did nothing, no research beforehand, no chapters written, didn't download any tools like Grammarly, didn't even think about what I wanted to do.
I used a trashy title (I changed that), didn't use a cover image (later I made a trashy one, a day later made it slightly less trashy), had a horrible synopsis (changed 10 times, still shit), have a trashy prologue (thinking about writing a new one).

Now, I'm wondering if I'm the only idiot that didn't prepare for their first novel or if there are others like me. What were your experiences when you first started?
Yeap, I was the same. Didn't prepare at all, just came up with an idea and started writing.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨

I wrote mine on a different site. But not much preparation, maybe a bit more than you did, but not a lot. But considering how I spent two months re-writing my novel, I did not like that. It’s best to prepare. Even just a little.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Made two... four short works and decided that the next one will stick. Made sheets for characters, plot routes, the magic and fighting systems and then, never touching it again after squeezing out 20 chapters that is stuck in editloop.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
No, I just go with the flow. Honestly, at the time I was really filled with ideas and motivation, though I was pretty much naive.

But still, to be able to write around 200k words without a plan is quite an achievement for me.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I spent a lot of time writing random thoughts down. Eventually I got my current idea, and I didn't hate it that much. Over a year, I wrote more random thoughts and world building, and eventually I got 5k words that were actually in order. So... Yeah, I guess I had a plan.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Was bored one day. Wrote 30K words, then pretty much never touched it again except for a promised rewrite that will never continue past the first chapter.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Nah, I put ROTGC out so I can start committing to writing something rather than going on and off. And well, now it has a planned sequel, hurray

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I prepared my body for my first novel.

Plantorsomething

Lmao I tried

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I attempted my first original novel 10 years ago, and I actually did some research into Chinese history before I wrote it, but it only took 9 installments for me to realize that I was out of my depth. The premise was good, but the story itself was too big for me. I just didn't have the experience to pull it off, so I left it as a fragment. I'll pick it up again when I'm more confident, but that was my first attempt.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Dude same. Except the trashy bits. I think I did well on all those points, tho nothing spectacular. I just had examples from other stories on how to do my own decently. My true enemy is laziness

Fainswift

I've written hundreds of thousands of words since my teens, bought and read a ton of "how to write books" from famous authors, watched hours of YouTube vids from authors and editors and PR gurus.

I still have zero idea what I am doing... you are not alone feeling sort of "whhhhaattt?", is what I want to say.

Sometimes I would do world and character building to death, or plot out each chapter and scene in flowcharts and swim-lanes, or researched the core idea for months, or made full blown outlines as if I was preparing a doctorate....

Sometimes that worked out, and I got something a bit decent.

But most of the time I ended up getting fed up with all the planning and just couldn't get myself to actually do the writing.

So this time, the current work I have here is 100% by the seat of my pants (sort of doing it for a last minute NaNoWriMo entry... heh, never gonna make that 50K goal in the next 3 days, lol...)

And I have to say, I am having a blast right now, not knowing what my characters will do in the next chapter - maybe this will actually get finished this time :D