Differences between GameLit and LitRPG??

nanchengnv

I like to think of LitRPG as stories that track stats that are typical in RPGs while GameLit is just anything to do with games/gamelike things in general.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I think the difference between GameLit and LitRPG is that GameLit is the main concept of the game Literature, as in speaking more into how its based on the Game Mechanics of a novel. It mostly talks about FPS, RPG and etc as in that everything that has game mechanics is GameLit. LitRPG on the other hand, its a sub-genre that mainly focuses on the Game Mechanics which is on the RPG system. Mostly talking stat based, skill system and etc that has game mechanics that is close to the RPG mechanics in games.

I'm not knowledgable about this but I think this is what others had said.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I like to think of LitRPG as stories that track stats that are typical in RPGs while GameLit is just anything to do with games/gamelike things in general.
Does mine count as GameLit because it is about game developers?

AncestralIdiot

Does mine count as GameLit because it is about game developers?
Nope. Being a game developer is, like, a character's hobby, so it doesn't count as a genre. But if it's about game developing, I think it will most likely end up in the Slice of Life genre (I'm unsure because it really depends on the story)

This is just my observation so I might be wrong.

GameLit is a lighter version of LitRPG. It consists of game-like features but you cannot entirely interact with them (Ah, I can't get the right words). Unlike LitRPG; you can level up, upgrade skills, gain spells from experience like "Poison Resistance", etc.

Don't know if that helps, but that's what I think. I have a fiction that is GameLit, but I'm also not sure if it actually belonged to that genre.

Reisinling

I didn't get it before reading this post. I get it even less now.

I thought that it's the same thing, just different names? Or maybe GameLit is about all the stories set in games (people are professional gamers) and stuff?

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
GameLit would probably fit my fan fiction Traveler; obviously it’s not LitRPG because my story doesn’t go into the nitty gritty numbers and stats of characters. It does however lightly touch upon the game aspects of fighting, dungeons, quests, and other miscellaneous things one might expect to see in a game (but written as literature instead).
I would totally use the GameLit tag if it was available as a genre tag... is it?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Gamelit can be thought of as mainly taking place in a game-like world but does not necessarily need to get into specific numbers. LitRPG can be thought of as mainly taking place in game-like world, but you’re working with specific numbers and status tables.

So for example in a Gamelit, you may see more of a focus on describing a fight scene, while LitRPG you see more numbers like:
-X HP
-X HP
Healed X HP
Attack +10%
Speed +10%
LitRPGs you may also see actual damage calculation formulas, etc.

In summary, a true LitRPG is just a pain in the ass to write. I tried writing one like that once, that was over 2 years ago when I first started writing, and it was just exhausting, time consuming, draining mentally, and feels very restrictive in general. You have to keep track of stats from chapter to chapter which eventually becomes a nightmare. Especially when you take a break for a while and try to come back to it.

Last edited: