Difficulty in games.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
CiV6? Total War? I took inspiration from those games in creating my character's tactics.

Especially fighting tactics from Rome, Barbarian Invasion, Medieval 1 and 2, Shogun 1 and 2, Empire and Napoleon. (Got to love those battles where I hold off superior armies on choke points like bridges or fjords).

Also got into playing 4x like Stellaris, HoI4, EU4, Vicky 2, CK III, City Skylines. (And send small armies/fleets to defend strategic areas, while delaying reinforcements 😈😈😈)

My main FPS is L4D2, and that space ninja online game.

Any case, I'm just a casual player. I use cheat engines often, since ya know...I prefer to play at a leisurely pace. If I'm up for the challenge, then it's the time when I turn off WeMod and choke my AI enemies. 😂

Err...as for the classics, I still play Red Alert 2 and Girls' Love Revenge and C&C Generals (including Zero Hour).
Red Alert 2... the first RTS I ever played through without cheating. Also, Generals were the last of the great RTS titles from them. Sad...Still one of my proudest childhood achievements :blobrofl: L4D2 was great with friends but we mostly played Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Especially the latter.

I loved Sim City 4 and had a good time with Skylines but I never could get back into it at all by now. EU4 and HoI4 and the like are really tempting but honestly, I find myself way too impatient nowadays and can't get truly into them. Even though I am a sucker for grand strategy titles. Total War games always held my attention when it was about the movement on the map and I usually let the AI resolve the battles :blob_catflip:

Stellaris, Endless Space 2, Galactic Civilization 3, damn. Now I want to play some RTS games again :blob_blank: And then there is the Dawn of War series... the first one. DoW2 was good but different. DoW3 we do not mention... And Company of Heroes... Tsk... titles keep flooding back what I want to play now.:blob_no:

D

Deleted member 54065

Red Alert 2... the first RTS I ever played through without cheating. Also, Generals were the last of the great RTS titles from them. Sad...Still one of my proudest childhood achievements :blobrofl: L4D2 was great with friends but we mostly played Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Especially the latter.

I loved Sim City 4 and had a good time with Skylines but I never could get back into it at all by now. EU4 and HoI4 and the like are really tempting but honestly, I find myself way too impatient nowadays and can't get truly into them. Even though I am a sucker for grand strategy titles. Total War games always held my attention when it was about the movement on the map and I usually let the AI resolve the battles :blob_catflip:

Stellaris, Endless Space 2, Galactic Civilization 3, damn. Now I want to play some RTS games again :blob_blank: And then there is the Dawn of War series... the first one. DoW2 was good but different. DoW3 we do not mention... And Company of Heroes... Tsk... titles keep flooding back what I want to play now.:blob_no:
Ahh...kinda missed playing now.

I've been self-isolating for a month, coz I'm trying to go after my self-imposed deadline for a manuscript. But this talk is making me want to go gaming again. 😁

Anyways, that reminds me. Have you tried playing Frostpunk? Great game with deep gameplay and storyline.

Also, if you're playing HoI4, have you heard of the mod "Millenium Dawn"? It's a great modern day mod starting from 2001 and you get to play modern incarnations of our respective countries. (It's the only time where the Philippines gets to be a respected world power under Manny Pacquiao, for the lulz)

Corty

Ahh...kinda missed playing now.

I've been self-isolating for a month, coz I'm trying to go after my self-imposed deadline for a manuscript. But this talk is making me want to go gaming again. 😁

Anyways, that reminds me. Have you tried playing Frostpunk? Great game with deep gameplay and storyline.

Also, if you're playing HoI4, have you heard of the mod "Millenium Dawn"? It's a great modern day mod starting from 2001 and you get to play modern incarnations of our respective countries. (It's the only time where the Philippines gets to be a respected world power under Manny Pacquiao, for the lulz)
I have Frost Punk, I bought it in some deal if I remember correctly... then never played it. Eh... Typical. :blob_teehee: I'm not really familiar with HoI mods, I usually fire up the game, get a bit overwhelmed, and go play something else... my monkey brain is tired after work and when the weekend comes it is drawn towards easier challenges. Like I'm on a Dragon Age Inquisition playthrough atm, spamming spells because one button flashy effects make my brain happy.

D

Deleted member 54065

I have Frost Punk, I bought it in some deal if I remember correctly... then never played it. Eh... Typical. :blob_teehee: I'm not really familiar with HoI mods, I usually fire up the game, get a bit overwhelmed, and go play something else... my monkey brain is tired after work and when the weekend comes it is drawn towards easier challenges. Like I'm on a Dragon Age Inquisition playthrough atm, spamming spells because one button flashy effects make my brain happy.
Wow...Dragon Age series. One of the best RPGs there is.

I love Morrigan btw. And Solas. 😁

Corty

Wow...Dragon Age series. One of the best RPGs there is.

I love Morrigan btw. And Solas. 😁
I'm grateful for the Fallen Order devs... thanks to the success of their (by the way awesome) game, DA4 was redone multiple times and the stupid live service route was completely canceled, going for a single-player experience. As they should have from the start. Damn EA. DA:O was a masterpiece, on my first playthrough I was shocked that Alistair sacrificed himself so my elf mage could live.

In the next playthrough, I made sure my character would be Queen and have a sexy threesome with Morrigan... So everyone could live of course. Yeah. Yep. Totally. This time around, with another elf mage in DA:I, I'm going for Cullen. Solas is... I get his goals and loved the fact that how it plays out if you romance him, but now I want something more stable. And permanent for my character. :blob_teehee:

That is why I love(d) BioWare since KotOR and then Mass Effect which to this day is my all-time favorite game trilogy. I enjoy an RPG if there is romance in it because I feel my character has another reason that he/she does something. To protect the one he/she loves. Something that is more personal than just saving the world and the usual gaming stuff.

Then they pulled an Andromeda and Anthem game on us in a row... damn. Hopefully, DA4 will be a redemption arc.

SailusGebel

Checked it quickly on steam. Looks like a heroes game at first glance so I am already sold on it. :blob_okay:
A word of caution, don't buy 3d version as it is inferior to 2d version. And use mod(New Horizons), it adds a ton of new content.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I prefer harder games because it adds tension. Once the tension is lost my interest starts to be lost as well.

I also used to enjoy relaxing games and can see the appeal. Sort of like slice of life stories. I'll enjoy them once in a while but will go for challenging games eventually.

melchi

What is a custom title?
What is your favorite\preferred difficulty in games? To add to that question, do you like more challenging, hard games or more relaxing ones?
Depends,

I play a game on a random difficulty and it is fun then I stick with that. If I wipe too much then it becomes unfun and difficulty can be turned down. If I'm playing alien isolation then it is time to load up a trainer after the xenomorph kills ripley for the 10th time in the same mission.

(I'm looking at you medbay level) >:(

Daitengu

I vary on difficulty.
Unfamiliar with the game mechanics? I start normal and am willing to go to easy if my learning curve is slower than the game difficulty curve.

Depending on how good I get and how much I like it, I'll go all the way to nightmare or hardcore.

Example: Guilty Gear X. Loved the game, am terrible at fighters. Started on easiest setting, worked my way up to the hardest setting after playing it for years. After that I was finally able to beat my bro 25% of the time.

Subnautica - normal for a couple runs, then beat it on hardcore.

Mileage really varies from game to game on difficulty.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Ultrahardcore, then download mods to make it more difficult. Like the long dark. You play that on interloper, it just gets boring. But put it on DEADMAN WALKING difficulty, where you cannot regenerate any lost health, now it gets interesting. THEN you turn off the sun so it never rises again? Ooo... now you have my attention.

M.G.Driver

Grand admiral stellaris, or deity civ 6.

AI is a lot better in stellaris now, so it's really giving me a good time. I can almost never dominate the galactic community on Grand Admiral, and I have to play more diplomatic so its more fun.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
All this talk about RTS made me remember the good old days of my childhood, back when I played a lot of Age of Empires 2 and 3, Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3~

I was sooooooooo bad! xD

I remember I always played Age of Empires/Mythology on the lowest difficulty and stomped the AI, but I was scared of moving the difficulty from "Easiest" to "Very Easy", because I thought I might lose then... Child me was really scared of the most pointless things~

I also remember struggling a lot with the campaign of Warcraft 3 and needing to use cheats in a bunch of stages to be able to clear it, because I thought it was so hard! >.<

... Then I tried playing the game again as a teenager/adult (I don't remember anymore when it was. It was too many years ago) and I had a much easier time on the campaign, so I changed it to Hard... It was still easy enough, so I changed it to Very Hard, and I was still managing, though I dropped it at some point and never picked it up again, so I never played the last stages on the hardest difficulties to see if I could manage them.

Overall, I had lots and lots of fun with RTS back in the day, especially playing Warcraft 3 mods online. I spent loads and loads of time playing that in my teen years... I miss playing RTS.

Guess I should buy the Definitive Edition of Age of Mythology later. It would be a nice return to my childhood... Though I hope it has the Portuguese dub. The Extended Edition currently on Steam doesn't have it, and I know that the game had a Portuguese dub back in the day... Sure, I do know English now, so I could play it in English just fine, but it doesn't tick my nostalgia senses if it's not in Portuguese. I want that dub back!

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
I prefer to play games at least on the "Hard" difficulty setting or equivalent. I want the game to force me to use all the mechanics available for what specific purpose is there. Like in Doom Eternal where I'm forced to use certain weapons to deal with enemy types/weaknesses. If I feel like really focusing and going hardcore then I'll play some Sekiro or jump to a "Nightmare" difficulty. I also prefer classic Fire Emblem with permadeath that punishes mistakes.

I do have some chill games (like Nekopara because, um, catgirls), but if there is the option, then I will usually take some challenge.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Depends on the game. If it's action or fps-y then normal since my reflexes are kinda shit. But Turnbased or normal RPGs? At least Hard

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
i'm gonna be the odd duck and say i prefer easyness but never go above normal/medium. i'm on the spectrum so standard difficulty systems arent great for me because most tend to take the lazy path of increasing difficulty and, when i was a kid, i could rage something fierce in games with that sort of laziness. TLOU 2's highly modifiable accessibility settings when it comes to difficulty is, honestly, the best and should be the example of how to make more modifiable difficulty settings so people can play how they want.

Also, easy allows me to fiddle around and experiment and/or enjoy the story without extraneous stress forcing me to rush. i also tend towards a turtle-into-steamroller personality in RTSs and thus only play against AI (Company of Heroes online spoiled me against playing competitive with people.) i will play co-op with people against the AI but that's as far as i'll go.