"Discovered"

HazaraTayamoto175

Hey, does anyone know an actual person who was "discovered" on this site, and went on to publish a book? Not trying to do it, just asking out of curiosity.

Agentt

Thighs
Cinnamon Bun is a work here which is available on Amazon. There is a guy whose name I forgot who made it to New York bestseller. Many others here have their work on Amazon but they aren't that recognised.

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
Publishing isn’t always the desired result. I had someone reach out about publishing my Barista novel when it finishes, but that isn’t something i personally wanted.

Before i closed my patreon due to moving stress i was making more monthly from that than my friends who went the traditional pub route.

D

Deleted member 45782

Only heard something like that through Wattpad. But seems like some here publish their works on Amazon.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm in a position to discover people, but I'm on maternity leave. I'm not sure if I'll ever edit another book, actually. It's entirely up to me, though. I'm waiting for a story that blows my mind.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Hey, does anyone know an actual person who was "discovered" on this site, and went on to publish a book? Not trying to do it, just asking out of curiosity.
Discovered as in given a contract by a major book publisher? No. If that's your goal here, Ai-chan is sorry to say that your chance of being discovered is closer to zero.

D

Deleted member 29316

Don't even try or expect to. Just write want you want to write and improve your writing skills.

Then once you think you could let your story out there, find publishing contests, or self-publish.

The world of literature nowadays is too highly competitive, and with a lot of options to choose from, the chances of 'discovery' are slim.

Well, there are those who'd sought you out and give you a contract, but from my experience, these contracts are too rigid and would enslave you as an author.

Reisinling

Discovered as in given a contract by a major book publisher? No. If that's your goal here, Ai-chan is sorry to say that your chance of being discovered is closer to zero.
It's an interesting characteristic of the current english speaking market. Most people who are here know some stuffs about light novels etc, and they are discovered, nearly universally, on the japanese equivalens of SH/RR, pretty much everything that gets published has to be beta tested that way. In western market the opposite seems to be true (50 shades of gray an exception, though if I recall correctly they were published by a very low brow publishing house)

Actually, it also seems to be true in Korea (as I understand many novels are also first web published) and China (qidan seems to actually publish books and make movies basing on them if I remember correctly)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'm pretty sure @CupcakeNinja started writing on Scribblehub and that he already published at least one book... Not sure if it was self-published or traditionally published though.

I do remember him being contacted by Webnovel though, they wanted to sign a contract with him IIRC, but he refused.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I'm pretty sure @CupcakeNinja started writing on Scribblehub and that he already published at least one book... Not sure if it was self-published or traditionally published though.

I do remember him being contacted by Webnovel though, they wanted to sign a contract with him IIRC, but he refused.
I believe that a Webnovel contract is under Chinese law, ir am I just mistaken?

AliceShiki

I believe that a Webnovel contract is under Chinese law, ir am I just mistaken?
I'm no lawyer and I genuinely have no clue about it.

What I do know is that they'll offer a contract to you in English, and what you should do if you receive it, is to ask a lawyer to look over said contract before signing anything.

CadmarLegend

I'm no lawyer and I genuinely have no clue about it.

What I do know is that they'll offer a contract to you in English, and what you should do if you receive it, is to ask a lawyer to look over said contract before signing anything.
Yeah, cuz after signing, I heard that they get to own the rights to the novel. Like, you are only allowed to post it on WebNovel and stuff...

D

Deleted member 45782

Yeah, cuz after signing, I heard that they get to own the rights to the novel. Like, you are only allowed to post it on WebNovel and stuff...
I heard Webnovel pretty bad. But about signing an agreement to only post to their platform...well iirc, Wattpad Paid stories- part of the agreement was that it was not being published elsewhere or something if you want to participate in their paid program where readers buy coins to read your story.

CadmarLegend

I heard Webnovel pretty bad. But about signing an agreement to only post to their platform...well iirc, Wattpad Paid stories- part of the agreement was that it was not being published elsewhere or something if you want to participate in their paid program where readers buy coins to read your story.
Ah, but WebNovel is more famous for its dastardly deeds... so that's why it seems that it is more nefarious than Wattpad.... besides, who even uses Wattpad anymore? You barely get reader feedback....

D

Deleted member 45782

Ah, but WebNovel is more famous for its dastardly deeds... so that's why it seems that it is more nefarious than Wattpad.... besides, who even uses Wattpad anymore? You barely get reader feedback....
Actually a lot still use Wattpad. And yeah, definitely heard about WebNovel being really shitty to its writers. But restricting it to one platform, I don't think they're the only ones that do, ofc, they probably do a far worse version of it as I heard they can sue you for taking it elsewhere or something. Idk.

AliceShiki

I dunno if they own the rights for the novel after signing the contract, but exclusivity contracts are totally normal. I mean... They're paying you to write, the minimum they expect is that you won't profit another website with what they're paying you to do.
Wattpad is still the most popular online writing platform by a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin.

Like, if you look at Alexa's site popularity rankings, you can see the following:

Wattpad: #724
Royalroad: #27580
Scribblehub: #59346

Wattpad is quite literally two digits ahead of us. It's on a totally different scale.

CadmarLegend

I dunno if they own the rights for the novel after signing the contract, but exclusivity contracts are totally normal. I mean... They're paying you to write, the minimum they expect is that you won't profit another website with what they're paying you to do.

Wattpad is still the most popular online writing platform by a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin.

Like, if you look at Alexa's site popularity rankings, you can see the following:

Wattpad: #724
Royalroad: #27580
Scribblehub: #59346

Wattpad is quite literally two digits ahead of us. It's on a totally different scale.
But the reader feedback is wayyyyyyyyyy less than some other sites if your novel is still only starting out ....

AliceShiki

But the reader feedback is wayyyyyyyyyy less than some other sites if your novel is still only starting out ....
Well, AFAIK, it's quite possible that you write for months in Wattpad without getting a single view, as they don't have a very good system for advertising new stories.

From what I heard, you kinda need to get more involved into their community and hopefully get a shout out from one of the popular authors to start establishing a big readerbase...

So uhn... It's quite different from something like Scribbly, really.