Disgraced 10 Minutes After Arrival

lilyWhiteRose

--> LINK TO NOVEL <--

um.... this one is still fairly in its infancy, but incredibly promising! (i really like it, a lot lol)

Genre tags: Action, Boys Love, Comedy, Fantasy, Martial Arts
In the world of the novel “Black Path of the Proud Immortal”, Xu Jian was a scum villain famed across the lands for his power, ruthlessness, raw talent, and heinous behaviour. He tormented the protagonist all through his youth, and when he was publicly executed, it was rewarding enough to make the readers cry. Now, a transmigrator from modern-day Earth has taken over his body at the height of his renown.

10 minutes after arrival, he stood before his sect looking up at him in worship, and imparted some good information: Sexual harassment, abuse, manipulation, lies, torture, and attempted murder. He had committed it all, without remorse.

SYSTEM: +100 POINTS +100 POINTS +100 POINTS […]

In order to rack up his score with a system that rewards “honesty” and “destruction”, the new Xu Jian diligently took the easiest path, and cheerfully brought destruction down on his own head. Is there a threat? He could cling to the thigh of that egoistic cannon fodder demon lord. Is it too difficult to increase his score? he could commit an atrocity or two.

The earnest transmigrator marches forward blindly, motivated only by his personal mantra: “One cannot afford to worry!”

elevator pitch rec:
read this if you like traumatized morally ambiguous characters doing bad things but with the expectation that they'll improve as people eventually!

my recommendation/review so far:
(written as of chapter 11, minor expositional spoilers)

to be fair i haven't read many transmigration novels, so i don't know the popular conventions of this genre. the premise is pretty straightforward, though: guy somehow finds himself transmigrated into the body of a cannon fodder villain, and tries to survive by using his knowledge of the plot to circumvent his pre-written demise, with interesting results. seems par for the course, right? tons of transmigration novels are like this.

what caught my interest though is the personality of the MC, xu jian. the writer put a lot of effort in alluding to his previous life before transmigrating, sprinkling in details about some minor, but tragic facets of his life. it's a good background to his reactions to everything that happens to him as xu jian... you know that every choice he makes is a result of his past experiences, which i don't think a lot of transmigration novels take into account. he's obviously traumatized; he's uncomfortably desensitized to the awful stuff he's subjected to at the beginning of the story, and his narrative pov often refuses to acknowledge instances where he feels frustration at his misery, since this is how he learned to cope. Because of this he's also an incredibly unreliable narrator; he's not oblivious for the sake of being oblivious, he actually refuses to see the whole picture. "one cannot afford to worry" is a good motto when interpreted healthily, not by numbing perfectly valid emotional reactions to bad shit that happens. consequently, his detached emotions enable him to use other characters as pawns for his own gain as well. overall, i'm very impressed by this introduction!

the ML ying long was only recently introduced so there's not much about him yet, but xu jian seems to know a bit about him from reading the original novel. his most glaring character flaw as of now is his "interest" in human culture and his objectification of it, and namely xu jian after taking him in. this is me just straight up guessing wildly now but i'm also assuming that this is rooted in the "trauma" that xu jian vaguely alluded to... he mentions that ying long is "slow to trust" so i feel like his warped interest in humans is just a way to avoid developing any kind of meaningful bond with another person.... or idk maybe i'm looking way too much into this.. he just might be an asshole. either way i think xu jian is going to take advantage of ying long's condescending view on humans eventually which is gonna lead to a turning point in their relationship.

overall, the writer does a great job depicting both the MC and ML's flaws as negative, and something they need to fix. i'm very amused by their current dynamic so far tbh; i'm very interested in how they'll develop. the only way from here is up, i suppose!

other than the characters, the writing and pacing are all very good from a technical standpoint. i can't comment it on it in depth, but the prose flows well and the chapters are nicely organized.

... anyway take a chance on this webnovel if you havent already! the main characters are really promising!!!!!!! i wrote so much about it and frankly i'm a little embarrassed!!!! :blob_no:

Last edited:

lilyWhiteRose

You really like this book, Lilly.

okay I'll give it a try looks like fun
in all honesty i am VERY embarrassed about it 😭 i got most of what i wanted to say about it out of my system though, so i'll be able to put my attention on other things now

i'm currently in midterm hell so i had write a review or i would've been distracted the whole week

lazyredragon

Nothing to be embarrassed about honey, we all have our interests and do you know how difficult it is to find a fellow human being who enjoys Chinese Bl Transmigration novels, more specifically Wuxia type?
this fandom is young and growing unnaturally fast plus its members are awesome I'm Thrilled at that, so as soon I read up you'll probably have a fellow fanart enthusiast