Dive into the Metadata – A ScribbleHub Analysis of Smut

bloodyWriter

So… I had an hour time and needed sample data for a similar project and I already had the infrastructure up and running, so I thought of crawling ScribbleHub and analyse what I found.

First, to give you an idea what´s possible, a picture of my novel.
Screenshot (25)_LI.jpg

Everything marked was useless or impossible to import. (With impossible, I mean that I didn’t want to or had no use)

Anyway, that’s enough technical things for today. I have everything else of every novel on this site and the results were quite interesting.

There are 4850 novels on this side, although I found some that I wouldn’t really call a novel, for several reasons.

One for example is that 15% of every novel has only one chapter. ONE!

That’s more than zero, but less than a novel should have.

Another sad news is that 75% of novels aren’t updated at all. They have 0 chapters/week and although I don’t know how this is counted, it´s still a pretty large percentage.

On the other hand, we have 2967 authors, so 1,6 books/author isn’t too bad. With one author having written 48(!) novels with around 17000 words average. That’s a feat…
Screenshot (20)_LI.jpg

Here are some other things that I dug out. If you look closely, you see that someone got -1 readers…

I thought my program broke, but here he is:
Inked-1_LI.jpg

Not gonna lie, I´m envious.

Another interesting candidate was this guy:

InkedScreenshot (16)_LI.jpg

One word. 40 Views. That’s a pretty good ratio! (It`s a comic, but I have another question... where is the word??)

Now, towards the tags!

The most popular tag combo is action + adventure + fantasy, counted by the times this combo was there.

Honestly, I only bothered with one tag and compared it to others.

Onwards to the topic of why everyone clicked this: Smut.

There are only 438 smut stories with 10,376 chapters in total out there! I thought it was higher, but I was proven wrong…

On the other hand smut stories have 23,104,457 views in total. That’s a large number, but in comparison to the 110,749,938 views of all novels, it´s not too much. Right? Right?

For comparison, there are 2857 action stories with 61,660 chappies. That’s a lot higher! And they even generate 74,391,240 views in total, so it´s even higher!

Why are there so many smut stories on the trending page then??

It´s simple. They are good. At least, if we go by view per chapter.

Per chapter they get 2226 views while my lovely action tag gets only 1206.

In comparison, the average chapter gets 1181 views, although I suspect that this number is heavily screwed by some novels as I was only able to get the average by tags and not the median. That’s about 1600 for all novels by the way.

Some honorable mentions in the end:

World Keeper with the most chapters, Favourites, Reviews and Views.

The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants To Enjoy Her New Life (since when are these titles so long???) with 4061 readers

and

Azarinth Healer with 1,320,000 words!

I´m open for other ideas about what I can do with all this data, but don’t expect too much as I´m scrapping my novel and write smut now, hopefully I can beat the one with -1 readers.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Interesting insights. Thanks!

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
I’m adding mutated beast smut to my novel from now on. I need views.

LostLibrarian

Why are there so many smut stories on the trending page then??
I think another reason is, that SMUT often is accompanied by LitRPG, Isekai, Gender Bender, Girl's Love, Harem and the like. These tags have an active target audience on this site which will generate a lot of "early" attention, driving it towards trending.

For action stories or other tags they also have a wide subset of stories without a clear target audience at the beginning and often need a longer time to hit trending. And I personally think that a lot of these stories are discontinued before they hit that first trending.

In fact, just based on my personal bias, I would say that "smut" (or these combinations) will give you an early boost, but I'm not really sure how much of an impact it has on long-running novels.

For what to do with the data: based on my thoughts above, a more detailed tag analysis sounds interesting. Like how often do we see "SMUT + LitRPG" or "SMUT + Harem" etc and are smut stories without those tags as popular and trending? Or is "Action + LitRPG" a better combination than "SMUT + LitRPG" and we just don't have as many "pure smut" stories compared to "pure action" stories?

IDreamNovels

A breakdown of tools/libraries/web technologies and programming language etc that you used to achieve this would be nice.
:blob_cookie:

GhostyZ

The Power of Harem and R-18. Now time to write some Yuri Smut.

bloodyWriter

In fact, just based on my personal bias, I would say that "smut" (or these combinations) will give you an early boost, but I'm not really sure how much of an impact it has on long-running novels.

Long running smut novels get more views per chapter than the average as well. For each chapter, there are 2736 smutty views, while only 1609 for the rest.

The data on the combination of tags may not be representative as there are only 65 Smut+LitRPG stories. These generate 3631 views/chapter while the Action+LitRpg tag only generates 1775 views/chapter.

Although if we only take the novels with over 50 chapters into account as well, Action+LitRPG gets 2399 views/chapters and Smut+LitRPG gets 3987.
In the long run, Action gains more, but Smut is still the winner by far.
Keep in mind that these numbers are even more screwed with only 17 Smut+LitRPG novels in total.

The number of tags:

Screenshot (22)_LI.jpg

Screenshot (24).png

Keep in mind that not every novel has 8 tags and that they are sorted by alphabet.

Last edited:

bloodyWriter

A breakdown of tools/libraries/web technologies and programming language etc that you used to achieve this would be nice.
:blob_cookie:
Alright:
Jsoup (Java), then MongoDB (although you can skip this step with this number of novels), then exporting it to .json, then converting to .csv, then to .xlsx to delete the _id field, then back to .csv (dont ask me...) and then importing it to ElasticSearch + Kibana

Ace_Arriande

Good work!
But you implied that these series are getting views because they're good instead of only because they're using clickbait and appealing to the most basic of desires. Therefore, I suggest acquiring popcorn before this thread gets turned into about how you're wrong and they're not good and they're only getting views because they're smut and that none of what you say means anything because it disagrees with some opinions.
:blob_popcorn:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Good work!
But you implied that these series are getting views because they're good instead of only because they're using clickbait and appealing to the most basic of desires. Therefore, I suggest acquiring popcorn before this thread gets turned into about how you're wrong and they're not good and they're only getting views because they're smut and that none of what you say means anything because it disagrees with some opinions.
:blob_popcorn:
where is it that he said the novels are good? I only saw him comparing data and no opinion.

Queenfisher

Bird?
I know it's probably impossible, but is there any way to gather data about deleted books? Like, they remain in our reading lists as links (albeit dead).

Just from the genre category I keep tabs on a couple of times a week, I know that there had been at least 4 novels deleted right above my rank within 3 months. And I think some of them (actually, I believe all 4) were tagged smut. Only one ended up with an edited version later. The rest just vanished.

It made me curious as to why they were deleted and if there was a pattern to their disappearing... (like, if smut authors were more likely to delete their books? Probably not, but still curious).

One for example is that 15% of every novel has only one chapter. ONE!

Another sad news is that 75% of novels aren’t updated at all.

:blob_frown: I wonder why...

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
@Angry_Clown you forgot to put in the whole paragraph.
It´s simple. They are good. At least, if we go by view per chapter.
He's referring to "good" as in popularity, not subjective taste or "writing quality."