Do I have to be like everyone else?

GioBlaze9239

"To be or not to be", is a quote I have found myself looking at and thinking about as I go about creating my own world in my recent novel.

As a writer, I have little experience, having only started writing at the beginning of this year when I wrote three or four novels - that never got finished - with around 150k words collectively over the course of two months. My first book was the typical over-ambitious undertaking that I'm sure all people who are new to the creative scene have tried before, with its only saving grace being the fact that I had decided to use an anime world as a crutch for world-building. In the second book I had decided to write, I had made the very original choice to try doing what everyone else was doing, and I succeeded: my small novel, over the course of thirty or so chapters, raking me in over one million views in a month. Honesty, I had been overjoyed, but I had quickly burnt out, not because of any lack of ideas but because I wasn't happy with it. So, in my third book, I tried to focus on a character I had been passionate about as I had grown up. While not as popular as my first novel, the novel had done fairly well, yet, again, I dropped the book.

So, here I am, one month later, having found my passion for writing again but now stuck with the question "to be or not to be".

Do I risk the uncertainty I know creating an original world and characters will bring if I continue with my novel or do I retreat, returning to something I know I can write and know will be popular?

Edit: to clear up any confusion I would like to say that I wish to make money out of my writing and my question is whether or not I should push on with an original world or go back to something I know will be popular.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
"To be or not to be", is a quote I have found myself looking at and thinking about as I go about creating my own world in my recent novel.

As a writer, I have little experience, having only started writing at the beginning of this year when I wrote three or four novels - that never got finished - with around 150k words collectively over the course of two months. My first book was the typical over-ambitious undertaking that I'm sure all people who are new to the creative scene have tried before, with its only saving grace being the fact that I had decided to use an anime world as a crutch for world-building. In the second book I had decided to write, I had made the very original choice to try doing what everyone else was doing, and I succeeded: my small novel, over the course of thirty or so chapters, raking me in over one million views in a month. Honesty, I had been overjoyed, but I had quickly burnt out, not because of any lack of ideas but because I wasn't happy with it. So, in my third book, I tried to focus on a character I had been passionate about as I had grown up. While not as popular as my first novel, the novel had done fairly well, yet, again, I dropped the book.

So, here I am, one month later, having found my passion for writing again but now stuck with the question "to be or not to be".

Do I risk the uncertainty I know creating an original world and characters will bring if I continue with my novel or do I retreat, returning to something I know I can write and know will be popular?
I say stop being a pussy and just write whatever you want.

Fuck popularity, yo.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

You only started writing at the beginning of this year and you've already got 3 or 4 novels with a collective word of 150k? It's only 17th of March now, which means you, as a newbie, finished 150k words in two and a half months?

Are you bragging or something? Plus, you are having an existential crisis after writing for two and a half months? Something here doesn't add up.

As for what to write, just write whatever you want. It's not like you're being paid to write what your pimp wants you to write. If you're a new writer, this is not something you should bother about.

GioBlaze9239

You only started writing at the beginning of this year and you've already got 3 or 4 novels with a collective word of 150k? It's only 17th of March now, which means you, as a newbie, finished 150k words in two and a half months?

Are you bragging or something? Plus, you are having an existential crisis after writing for two and a half months? Something here doesn't add up.

As for what to write, just write whatever you want. It's not like you're being paid to write what your pimp wants you to write. If you're a new writer, this is not something you should bother about.
I would like to say, that no, I am not bragging; I have no idea if the speed I write at is fast or slow, and neither did I say that those 150k word were quality. I had forgotten to mention that I wish to get paided and I am struggling to justify continuing to creating my own original novel when I am uncertain of the outcome.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
It depends on if what you want to write is retarded or not. Generally I'd say just write popular shit then explore more risky stuff once where you have room to. Practicality first.

ScarletWeeb

Edit: to clear up any confusion I would like to say that I wish to make money out of my writing and my question is whether or not I should push on with an original world or go back to something I know will be popular.
If you are in a dire situation currently, I think you should go with "Mainstream" stories as they will make money, even if they are cliche, people will love them.

But, if you are not in a dire situation, you should do what your heart wants, try experimenting, try new things, make yourself better, and as they say "Surpass your limits". Risk the uncertainty, and create your original world and characters

Yeah, even I was surprised, I started writing a year ago took a few breaks here and there, lost motivation, and everything else and now I only have about 35-40K words, I have no idea in hell, how did this guy do the impossible?

GioBlaze9239

If you are in a dire situation currently, I think you should go with "Mainstream" stories as they will make money, even if they are cliche, people will love them.

But, if you are not in a dire situation, you should do what your heart wants, try experimenting, try new things, make yourself better, and as they say "Surpass your limits". Risk the uncertainty, and create your original world and characters

Yeah, even I was surprised, I started writing a year ago took a few breaks here and there, lost motivation, and everything else and now I only have about 35-40K words, I have no idea in hell, how did this guy do the impossible?
At the time, I was reading novels which produced multiple long chapters a day, and then, when I looked up the average chapter length and it said 2.5 to 5k, I just followed along, trying to put one or maybe even two of these chapters out each day like everyone else.

Reactions: CL

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
An original world can be very popular. If you're forcing yourself to write something that doesn't sing to you, you're going to burn out.

D

Deleted member 57675

1. If you want to be happy, write what you want.
2. If you write for money is it
A. Published - publishers don't like works 30%+ already posted to internet i heard. Rare cases they'll accept and publish that story. So keep that in mind if you post story on internet and want to publish it later.​
B. Patreon/Self-Publish - think you got more freedom to write what you want here though​
C. A & B - Hit or miss on audience (do they like story or not their genre type/controversial/how well written story is)​

No, you don't have to be like everyone else and write same genre, same trope/cliche. There's a choice. It just depends on what your choice is.

XKARNATION

I never really understood people who write fanfics, for me 90% of the fun in writing is coming up with my own world and characters. I think its easier to not burn out when writing an original. Also if you plan to make money I would make an original because if it's really good you can sell it as an actual book on kindle or something later, I'm not an expert but I expect that fanfics aren't allowed to be sold on kindle because of copyright? not sure on that tho.

CL

I never really understood people who write fanfics, for me 90% of the fun in writing is coming up with my own world and characters. I think its easier to not burn out when writing an original. Also if you plan to make money I would make an original because if it's really good you can sell it as an actual book on kindle or something later, I'm not an expert but I expect that fanfics aren't allowed to be sold on kindle because of copyright? not sure on that tho.
Quick response: I've heard that anything written and uploaded on the internet for public view won't be touched by a publisher with a ten foot pole. No idea how factual that is, but I can see where the publishers are coming from when the product they're being offered had already been displayed for free.

PancakesWitch

If you don't write what you like you will eventually feel burned out and you won't like the story at all, feeling like always wanting to write something else. I remember trying to write a lot of mainstream crap and experimenting a lot, but I got burned out of it and it became a painful expereincec rather than an enjoyable one. trying to write for what sells will not always bring you money, its depends in your passion that shows in the writing, the "soul" that you pour into the things you write, and how inventive you can be with the situations. also, to get money with writing you gotta have at the very least decent grammar and also have the incentive to write multiple chapters a day, take everything in mind. If you force yourself what's mainstream wihtout enjoying the story itself, you'll feel just like you just did right now, bruned out, and wihtout the drive to continue the story. Write what you like the most, that's where your soul will show up and make people say "wow!", you have to make the stories you prefer, not force yourself to artificially create ones that will sell. eventually, those that you love writing will earn you money if you put enough attention, world building, character development, and passion... Unless it is some weird genre nobody reads like horror, scribblehub is into more teen stuff, but im sure that's what you wrote anyways

D

Deleted member 57675

Quick response: I've heard that anything written and uploaded on the internet for public view won't be touched by a publisher with a ten foot pole. No idea how factual that is, but I can see where the publishers are coming from when the product they're being offered had already been displayed for free.
I have heard something similar too. First time i think might have been Wattpad, cause some got picked up by publisher but the story they publish is different and some authors were discussing about it vs a program or something. And two others made threads here bout it though it was quite awhile ago.

Derin_Edala

If you have little experience, and haven't finished your previous works, then you have two things to consider. Which is going to appropriately stretch your skills and help you become a better writer? And which are you most likely to finish? The answer to your question is different for different people, depending on the answers to these questions. If you're more motivated by recognition, go with the one that gets you recognition so you'll finish it. If you're more motivated by creative freedom, go with the original world so you'll finish it. Be honest with yourself.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Not true at all. Whoever told you that either worked in the industry in the 1990s or doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. That means he's either severely outdated or outright has no idea what he's talking about. Reluctance is not the same as refusal. There are plenty of published novels that started out as web novels. Where do you think Twilight, The Kissing Booth, 50 Shades of Grey, Mortal Instruments, Light As A Feather came from? They were all originally online fanfictions, some of them from Wattpad.

What actually matters is not whether or not it's online fiction, it's whether or not the publisher can make money from the story. While it's true that they won't touch online web novels as is, they would give the author conditions in order to traditionally publish the exact same story. Basically, they will read through the novel and specify areas that they want removed or they want emphasized or added as authors are not really the most commercial-minded people in the world. The book can be republished under either the same name or a different name, but it's still technically the same story.

And also the story must be good. When a good amateur web novel is popular among readers, that means there's a huge market potential there. The publishers won't even need to do promotions. The newly published book would sell from the start, like how Ai-chan's book was. The fans of the web novel will not disappear, they will be the first buyers and therefore the people who would sing praises to the work of an unknown author.

InfantryTerminator

If you rack you million/month, you're on site that fakes amount of traffic like Webnovel by bumping up numbers. Even on Royal Road, the writing site with one of highest traffics, is impossible.

As for earning money - It depends on how would you like to handle this. 70k/month is enough to pull off five chapters per week schedule which most of successful webnovels on RoyalRoad follow. If you REALLY need money then go for Patreon milking, which is striking popular genre and pulling off endless escalation to keep the farm going.

I suggest you to simply do something original with what you can write, revolving around popular themes/genres/tags. This is how I got my 500k reads on Wattpad for first story, and 100k for second story without breaking a sweat. Sometimes you need to give readers what they want, not what they ask/think they want.