Do readers like the abusive female character trope?

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I'm concerned by the amount of western fantas fiction featuring overly aggressive and just plain abusive female characters that are, for some reason, tolerated by the male protagonist. I won't claim to know why the author writes these things but why do consumers of such content continually read it?
Dislike especially the unreasonable ones.

Schwab

They're quite possibly just bad at writing women. Some guys think we're like an alien species and they can never understand us, thus they can't write us well. (Or some think they do understand us and then demonstrate that they don't.)

Probably relying on the "women are over-emotional and always angry for no reason" myth, too.

It could be that they're inspired by tsunderes in anime too. A lot of people on SH are life-long anime fans, so they pick up tropes from them.
Totally agree. It's like one gender can't write the other without relying on harmful or just plain wrong stereotypes.

OvidLemma

*feels like her post was completely ignored, despite it mentioning points later posts brought up*
:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

...x...
I think the appropriate response, in this context, would be to brutally beat whomever you think slighted you.

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Like what everyone else said. That whole trope stems from anime and manga. I don’t really like it much, but others do for reasons only known to them.

Stratothrax

why do we, as western readers, with presumably different social and cultural mores, embrace and uplifting this trope so chronically.

Because people who want a shonen animes vibe in their work replicate terrible anime tropes to achieve that. It's for the same reason the stupid back of head scratching and pushing flashing glasses up nose with middle finger tropes get used.

It's why whitey mcwhites who only speak English and only know about Chinese culture through wuxia webnovels will write their own cultivation webnovels without critiquing the inherent change their own cultural background -- and lack of cultural background and internalised knowledge of Confucian values -- will bring to the story*. It's just blind replication.

If they don't like it they won't include it. If they do include it then they are looking to achieve a more authentic shonen anime vibe, adding in an SJW style critique or lecture in the middle of that would spoil the authenticity from their pov. There is no reason they just have to write a critique of the culture they are writing about, being from a different culture is not a reason.

Also, I find it amusing that you feel the need to insult white people for failing to attack another cultures way of life. 🤨

Last edited:

Schwab

Because people who want a shonen animes vibe in their work replicate terrible anime tropes to achieve that. It's for the same reason the stupid back of head scratching and pushing flashing glasses up nose with middle finger tropes get used.

If they don't like it they won't include it. If they do include it then they are looking to achieve a more authentic shonen anime vibe, adding in an SJW style critique or lecture in the middle of that would spoil the authenticity from their pov. There is no reason they just have to write a critique of the culture they are writing about, being from a different culture is not a reason.

Also, I find it amusing that you feel the need to insult white people for failing to attack another cultures way of life. 🤨

No one was talking about SJWs here. That name is so overused it's not even funny anymore. And the Western writers who include this trope certainly don't add their 'style critique', as you say.

And I don't think 'attacking another culture's way of life' has anything do with 'hey, maybe you shouldn't beat kids for literally any bad thing they do'.