Do yall prefer martial or caster Mcs?

Caster or Martial?

• Total voters

rain-090

Do yall prefer main characters who wields weapons or a character who uses magic, when reading a novel?

Luxican

I'm still searching for a well executed mage novel to this day.

Usually the mage protagonists are either Harem Master mysoginists or begin dual wielding some weapon. (Maybe even both, looking at you Warlock of the Magic World)

And there are no badass female mages, they're always damsels in distress that pose as girlbosses.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Caster MCs lol

*Edit: I just realized that this comment sounds kinda salty, but I'm actually a big fan of Caster MCs lmao

rain-090

Usually the mage protagonists are either Harem Master mysoginists or begin dual wielding some weapon. (Maybe even both, looking at you Warlock of the Magic World)

And there are no badass female mages, they're always damsels in distress that pose as girlbosses.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Caster MCs lol
Other than the harem, weapon, and damsel thing, how do you thing a mage novel should be executed?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm not into violence in general, and casters can heal, so they make things better.

Luxican

Other than the harem, weapon, and damsel thing, how do you thing a mage novel should be executed?
There are so many different tropes to choose and mix from!

The magic school, using science in combination with magic, different magic systems with interesting restrictions...

You can do a lot, but most authors take the easiest and laziest way out, slap a flashy name on top and make the MC plot-armor OP at magic in general.

But I remembered a few exceptions that help me continue to pray for a good pure mage novel (possibly even with female MC :,))

When a Mage Revolts
A chinese novel I translated for some time but can't remember the name of because it was so long
And finally, a mage novel written by the author of Lord of the Mysteries
There are so many different tropes to choose and mix from!

The magic school, using science in combination with magic, different magic systems with interesting restrictions...

You can do a lot, but most authors take the easiest and laziest way out, slap a flashy name on top and make the MC plot-armor OP at magic in general.

But I remembered a few exceptions that help me continue to pray for a good pure mage novel (possibly even with female MC :,))

When a Mage Revolts
A chinese novel I translated for some time but can't remember the name of because it was so long
And finally, a mage novel written by the author of Lord of the Mysteries
Honestly as long as there is no harem, it's already better than most others

Especially, since I feel like mages should have something scholary about them

SuperHeiyan

Dresden Files. Noir/modern fantasy drama/comedy/adventure. Quite good. Basically classic.
Choice of Games/Hosted games have plenty of interactive CYOA/Gamebooks with magic casters in different range of styles.

Luxican

Dresden Files. Noir/modern fantasy drama/comedy/adventure. Quite good. Basically classic.
Choice of Games/Hosted games have plenty of interactive CYOA/Gamebooks with magic casters in different range of styles.
:blob_aww:
Thank you, I take any recommendations

I'm mage content deprived since the last mage novel I thought had potential suddenly started calling women 'females' (Mages are too OP)

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
I've mentioned this in a thread about power systems and comparing magic systems and the 'knight' systems and such, but in any fantasy(well, mid-to-high fantasy) once you get to a certain level in the martial system of power, you might as well just be performing magic. Aura blades, projectile attacks, elemental aura attacks... It's all just the people who couldn't become mages mimicking them, since it's the only way to match them. And it is described as such in multiple novels, how aura users create ranged skills and other techniques to be able to kill mages, because mages are just fucking op.

How the fuck a bunch of muscle monkey brain mage wannabes can even try to compare with them, I've got no idea. While writing this I had this sudden comparison of the generic aura/knight system of power to Orks from Warhammer. They believe, and so they can. Suuure, it's a different energy source... but it's all the same in the end.

Also, xianxia(xuanhuan? wuxia? i dont fucking remember the difference, and they all apply here) is pretty much the same 'issue'. Not that I really have a problem with it, since I like my MCs muscular(I'm of the belief that any caster should have a pretty solid and supernatural body if they're running Worldly Energies through it) but yeah.

So yeah, I'm Caster all the way. Because any other form of power is just a mockery of spellcasting(in most stories I've read, I'm sure there are authors who've made stories that either have a system of power so different/original that it doesn't matter, or just have some solid lore for the powers in their world-building).

Anyways I think I forgot something I was gonna write and now I feel unsatisfied, so I'mma just stop this weird mini-rant?

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Physically-inclined characters are easier to read, because at the end of the day people get bogged down in the details with magic and forget to write the story.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I'm more physically inclined personally, as I feel a lot of casters (or magic reliant) mcs just tend to pull out a lot of rabbits from empty hats- I prefer it when the magic has consistency but considering most of these muscle-lacking protagonists are supposed to be power trip self inserts that rarely gets acknowledged or used properly

Mephi

Beneath the Dragoneye Moons for a decent litrpg isekai web novel with a female caster.

As for the OP?
Crafter. My pick is actually crafter. Blacksmith, alchemist, farmer, weaver... Even merchants are fun.

Esper

I prefer both, making a mix, but I will lean more caster as it gives variety to how they fight, and you can express quite a bit about them with how they cast and fight.

LordJoyde

The body is the greatest weapon. Magic can only ever be a supplement, but I don't prefer an mc that can't do both lmao.