Do you bother favoriting a chapter

Florestes

A shard of time embraced by darkness.
If I read a chapter I favorite it. And I cannot grasp for the life of me why anyone reading any story would not give a like on a new chapter for a story they bookmarked. IT IS THE ONLY CURRENCY ON THIS FUCKING WEBSITE TO ACKNOWLEDGE AN AUTHOR. YET SO FEW READERS DO IT.

Most don't.
That's the problem. It is a "favorite" and not a "like". I'd hazard a guess that the name is a problem for most casual readers (I have literally have NEVER used it in my however many years on SH).

:blob_cookie: this little fellow is more of a "like" indicator for the smaller novels.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
IT IS THE ONLY CURRENCY ON THIS FUCKING WEBSITE TO ACKNOWLEDGE AN AUTHOR.
That is exactly why I only favorite my favorite chapters of any given story. If I favorited all the chapters I read, then this statistics would be no different than the view count, and would lose its meaning.
The favorite button is my way of saying"good job author, this was one of your best chapters".

Lock

90% of the time. The only times i don't is because I either forgot (mostly forgot) or the read was just that bad.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I favorite a chapter after reading it. If something came up that felt problematic, I don't favorite that chapter. It's sort of the reverse of how you're supposed to use it, I think. But as an author I can't deny seeing the little number next to the heart go up is good, so I want to do it for other authors as well.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
the fug outta here with that boolsheet. As much work as we put into every chapter, just click the button or stop reading the godem story. This aint the Grammies, where you have to distinguish Favs from Likes. Authors want to know you liked the chapter, it doesn't have to be the most favorite of the whole story just click the button to show your appreciation for the hard work the author put in to give you a FREE STORY! fucking ingrates

-_-
Then you might as well just remove that function and just look at the view count. If I read your story, that means I like it enough to continue.

If everyone does as you suggest and automatically favorites every chapter, then the view count and favorite number on each chapter would be exactly the same, and I would be left wondering why both exist. Is it simply there to measure the number of "ingrates" reading your story?

I think the feature is relevant because it can be used by the author to see which chapters are liked or not, which is information he can use to improve his story.

Favorites have no purpose, and they only have value if they are rare. After all, if everything is liked, then that is the same thing as nothing being liked.

As for being an ingrate, that has nothing to do with it. If I want to show my appreciation I will be in the comments, because I value the work of an author giving me his story to read for free much more than that. Even a generic "TFTC '' comment is infinitely more valuable than a mindless button press. That is because human psychology makes us appreciate human praise much more than the rising of a number.

Don’t delude yourself into thinking you have somehow compensated the author for hours of work by pressing a button.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
if it's a novel i'm really into, i'll do it every chapter. if it's a story i follow but not dedicated-ly, i'll heart chapters that i found particularly good.

I do think comments are a clearer way of telling reader interest though.

D

Deleted member 57675

Tried on two. But too lazy to go back and favorite every chapter if haven't done so.

It also poses a problem when you want to find a specific chapter but every chapter is all favorited now, so it serves same function as a table of contents and feels like a needle in a haystack trying find the chapter again.