Do you care about story ratings

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I have shit tastes. Recent example, I actually enjoyed works that were rated 3/5 on NU with hundred ratings. I generally check out things by words of mouth.

If you don't enjoy mainstream stuff, you can't rely on ratings at all. Even reviews aren't that informative.

Bobple

Not really. When it comes to reading I'm basically just a blackhole that consumes anything and everything regardless of quality.

But the main reason I don't care about ratings is that everyone does them differently. For some people good = 5 stars, bad = 1, Etc, Etc. For me 3 stars = good, but has some issues. 4 stars = great but has small issues OR I just really enjoyed the story (Which means I have reread it). 5 stars = Perfect OR I just enjoyed it so much I don't care about the flaws, OR I was just in a really good mood when rating a 4 star story. Then sometimes I rate a story 5, if it has potential but change it later. And the type of story it will also change the harshness I rate.

So basically, understanding a rating is mess cause everyone has their own taste.

If I ever start writing, I'm not sure if I would care about the rating my stories would get, cause it would be mostly doing it for fun. But who knows, that could change.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
are low story ratings on scribblehub a big nasty turn off? Or do you just read it and not care about whatever those stars are
i check the bad reviews first, so yeah, they do. I gotta see what elements i might not like, such as elementary school level writing or a pussy ass MC or a number of other shit. Not always do i get turned off from those bad reviews tho.
So basically, understanding a rating is mess cause everyone has their own taste.
yeah but thats why i read the bad reviews first, cuz they usually list (bitch) about what they hate about the story and that gives me enough info to go either, "you know, i can tolerate these things myself, im fine with it" or "alright yeah i aint gonna waste my time here"
Dont trust good reviews...trust the bad ones lol

Last edited:

Bobple

yeah but thats why i read the bad reviews first, cuz they usually list (bitch) about what they hate about the story and that gives me enough info to go either, "you know, i can tolerate these things myself, im fine with it" or "alright yeah i aint gonna waste my time here"
Dont trust good reviews...trust the bad ones lol
Yeah that's one way to go about it.
I do that sometimes, but also sometimes bad reviews they can make a problem seem way worse than it actually is.

K_Jira

Rating is the fourth thing I look at when finding something to read. First and second are the cover and title (whichever caught me first), second is the synopsis, third is the review, and lastly is the rating. I've read something once without looking at the rating and was surprised by how low it got since it was very good. So yeah, it all comes down to each of the reader's taste instead of the rating.

SternenklarenRitter

Honestly I find wordcount and chapter number more useful. Having at least ten chapters weeds out most of the poorly written works here. Other than that, most of my favorites tend not to be extremely well liked, and tend to target demographics I am not part of. Instead, many of the best rated stories are often too violent for me to enjoy much.

Erivva

Sometimes. But I realize some people tend to give a low rating without even reading the story.

aattss

If enough ratings are given, I find it generally indicative of writing quality, but not necessarily of how good the story is. A story with a 4.8 is probably better written than a story with a 4.2, but that doesn't mean I'll enjoy the 4.8 story or not enjoy the 4.2 story. On this site and RR, below 4 probably means that the writing is at least poor and awkward, though depending on the premise and stuff it might still pass the time.

HappyVainGlory

are low story ratings on scribblehub a big nasty turn off? Or do you just read it and not care about whatever those stars are
Depends on the number of ratings. If a story has 100+ ratings and the average is low, that's probably a fair gauge of the quality. If it's 40 or less, it's probably worth taking a look even if it has a low rating.

Akasora

First and second are the cover and title (whichever caught me first)
Speaking of Cover, there are so many authors using arts without getting permission first and some authors just put something like "the cover art don't belong to me, credit to the artist" without actually putting the artist name or link to their social media.
I mean people are generous with 5* rating here so if a story got under 3.5*? It will probably a bad story so, I wouldn't give it a chance.