Do you care about story ratings

imouthaloliocn

are low story ratings on scribblehub a big nasty turn off? Or do you just read it and not care about whatever those stars are

LordJoyde

To put it bluntly, the answer will always be ambiguous. One the one hand, a reader might see a 1 star story and instinctively dump it without any attempt at reading, while others will actively seek out such stories just to see if the rating is true, or just born from a slew of haters.

For an author, it depends on your vision for the story. If its full of shock value, one might reasonably assume that a low rating means the story achieved its goals.
If you want a lot of good ratings, you should probably write the classics, such as boys love or some other form of fetishism unleashed. In my case, this was yuri futa twincest~, so its not like there's not enough degeneracy to go around.

A particular author on this site even makes it her favorite pasttime to get as many low rate ratings as possible!

Personally, I don't care about the rank a story has before reading it. If it interests me, I'll be reading it anyway, and having a ton of haters attack the author while I support them will only be a fun challenge for me, so that's a plus.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Ratings are absolutely necessary when I gauge whether I want to read a story. As an author, ratings help to determine where I can improve and how to better my story in the long run. It also helps if the ratings have a written review for possible readers to look at so that they can see what problems or praises other readers have.

imouthaloliocn

Ratings are absolutely necessary when I gauge whether I want to read a story. As an author, ratings help to determine where I can improve and how to better my story in the long run. It also helps if the ratings have a written review for possible readers to look at so that they can see what problems or praises other readers have.
From what rating value and below would you decide not to read certain story

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
My taste is abhorrent, so lots of stories I personally enjoyed had ~3 stars. I used to read on NU a lot and ratings there mean nothing, reviews are really where it's at. I'll read the description, disclaimers and, if I'm really on the fence, some of the story too.

BlackKnightX

At first I kind of did; now I pretty much don’t give a fuck no more.

Some ratings are trolls, some are for petty reasons. I find no reason why I should give a flying fuck about people who don’t like my story. We just simply have different taste, that’s all. The rating doesn’t mean shit to me, what does is the comment. That, for me, is the real rating.

GreenHexagon

Error: Forbidden
Yesn't

To explain, do I care that i'm getting 5 stars? Absolutely. Do I care that I am getting 1 stars? Absolutely. Do I care about how many stars everybody else is getting? maybe.

Some ratings are unfounded, so then i'll care, but if it's say a 4.4 star rating? i'm more likely to just leave the book alone and go on with my day.
Edit: accidentally hit CTRL+Enter

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
From what rating value and below would you decide not to read certain story
If the rating is lower than a 2.5/5 and there are more than 10 ratings (the quantity of ratings is important to know whether it's troll reviews or not) then I wouldn't consider reading it. Otherwise I'll read 5 chapters to see if it's good or interesting enough to add to my reading list and continue reading it.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
Not so much. I would still read it based on early chapters and synopsis, and if its managed to attract my attention then I will continue to read it even if it's got rating below 2* lol.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Do I care about the ratings? No

Does having a 5 star make me happy? Yup.

Is having a 1 star scary? Unless its someone who has a contract with Zeus, cut off not only the powerline but also the internet as well for 3 days straight, I am definetly scared as hell(it is not like I experience this first-hand or anything you know.)

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
As an Author
At first I told myself I wouldn't care.
Then the 1 stars came and I got upset.
Then I shamelessly asked my readers in an authors note for a high rating.
Now... I realized I'm not profiting off writing in an anonymous format, so why should I care? I'm writing for myself.

As a Reader
I've found that high rated stories and low rated stories don't really tell me much in terms of quality. The same author can write two different series, one is highly rated and the other is low rated and the quality of writing is similar. Ratings only tell me how much the story appeals to Scribble Hub readers and not my particular tastes.

As another poster said, reviews tell a better story... if they're detailed. The rating of the review doesn't matter, what matters is the content of the review.

LillyanaKabal

As an author, I want to but I feel they are so perfunctory at times. I've got this one chapter fic that I got inspired to start when reading an awesome wuxia novel. Nothing to it, just five pages of characters meeting and starting the journey. I just wanted to get it started because bubbling muse.

It got two 5 stars in a week. Like...I know I am not so good that a mere 1000 words is worth two 5 stars, which makes me super apprehensive.

PancakesWitch

I often get bad ratings for the most stupid of things that people complain about, a little misshap or something and they write you a 10 paragraph review about how angry that made them. The system si kind of shit though, one bad rating can lower your rating when you had over a hundred 4 stars or above ones, so just because one guy just disliked your story, youre doomer to have your story rated lower

iamchangingthissoon

custom title! yay
No, it does not come with criticism, so it can range from being someone who thinks that you did not do a good job to some random troll that wants to bring your ratings down. All that and you wouldn't know a thing

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I don't focus on ratings. Instead I focus on reviews. On a review, people actually articulate why a story works for them or doesn't, and through that, then I'll decide if its worthwhile or not.