Do you get more interested in a story by how the chapter numbered?

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Hello, as the title suggests, does different ways authors numbered their story affect/influences your chance of reading them?
For examples, here's a few I've seen:
Chapter One: [Title]
Chapter 1: [Title]
1: [Title]
Act 1: [Title]
CH 1: [Title]

...And more
It sure influences me to in ways that I don't know, I expect the title to looks professional even though that's a stretch and a pain in the arse to do.

skillet

a frying pan
Don't know for anyone else but I usually don't really care, as long as it does have a chapter number, since some don't. :D

Macrendil-Ysmir

My personal favourite is:
Arc I: ... - Chapter 1

So with named Arc's to give a bit of info on what happens, but without spoilers and then the Chapters being just numbered. Chapter titles are often either misleading or a major spoiler.

DubstheDuke

I like to name the chapter that starts each volume like Volume 1: (Title) Chapter 1 (Title)

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
It mainly depends on how interesting the novel and not the chapters. While titles on chapter can hook a person, if the title or the novel has NTR genre, it might steer off the readers. So, after some thoughts, Its best to make it simple rather than showing off the titles chapter since reader's rather prefer to know what novel it is than the chapter.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
I like when people number their chapters (though often forget to do it myself) but the format never really took my attention. The names of the chapters though, can make me give the story a try or a pass

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I didn't like the spoilery titles when I read Second Coming of Gluttony.

Would titles pull my attention? Maybe but not as much as cover and titles.

I don't like chapter numbers written in words because you cant see the full title on update page.

Putting act or arc can be nice too. Macrendil-Ysmir's suggestion is the best I like

Putting titles for short chapters like 1k words sounds weird to me. Because the chapter could be more than one scene but less than a sequence, so the chapter's title can't exactly match a meaningful section of the story

CookieCrumble

Well, no. But that's because I searched what novel to read by ranking them based on their total published pages. I like my story had at least 300 pages count at least (I'm a binge reader). So in the case that ranking by the pages unavailable, then yes the chapter count mattered to me.

Kenjona

I have steered away from stories that have Not Safe For X type titles/chapters, up to banning the authors works on my lists. Just because I think the Author is trolling everyone with them by making them show up in searches or the main screen and because I do not need other people to see what I am reading. Otherwise I may perfer Arc/Book#, Title and finally chapter #; I do not honestly care one way or another.

strayCat0

Other
I think it works the other hand. No one really get more interested on how you name your chapters, but they can be put of from reading your story because of it. I know this is uncommon, but there are people in SH who never bother to number their chapters, so they just use them chapter titles. Literally just 'PutYourTitleHere'. It's so annoying because it makes me anxious. What if they sort the chapters wrongly and I'm not even able to know the right sequence? I'm not good with Chapter 'One', 'Two', 'Eleven', etc either.

D

Deleted member 45782

Not too picky about it, but it would be nice to have a Chapter 1, Ch X, and so on because it makes it easier for the reader to see where they have left off and what order are they're in.

Mephi

For me? As long as it has a number and a recognizable title, I'm fine.

Actually, doesn't even impact how I feel about reading the story. Its more... I occasionally like to browse backwards to find some bit I only half remember, and want to find again. Numbers and titles (ones that are related to the chapter contents, at least - random titles are worthless) make that easier.

"Easy to reference" is basically it.

Derin_Edala

I don't look at the list of chapter titles unless I want to see how much I have to go. I pay no attention to this.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I don't really care myself. I just want the chapters to have numbers.

I like them having titles too though, but that's just a nice plus.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
And that's the best way as long as the title does not give away too much about the content of the chapter.
There are plenty of webnovels that aren't really separated into volumes though, so I dunno if this is very useful for most.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'd say that if the author goes the extra effort to number their chapters or hell, even make volumes or OMBIBUSES, then that says something about their care to their work.

It's like the Return The Cart situation. It's as simple as pushing the cart back into the pile. It's also as simple as leaving it there. Would you do it?

Same thing goes for numbering chapters. It's not the BE ALL END ALL to whether said work has any actual effort behind it, but it's a decent indicator. If you won't number your chapters, despite it being as simple as slotting one number and a : after that, it sort of gives a preliminary example of what's to come.

Or maybe I'm just a judgemental cunt, who knows?

sabazurc

There are plenty of webnovels that aren't really separated into volumes though, so I dunno if this is very useful for most.
Obviously, you can omit the volume part if there no volumes. Generally, it's nicer to see both title and a chapter number.