Do you guys still care?

muhyumi

Personally I stopped giving a crap about how "detailed" my descriptions are. I've lost all of my ability to care. This is probably something I'm gonna regret later on but eh.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I actually am the opposite because I didn't care about descriptions at first but now I care about them a lot.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Ascend and be based like most chinese writers.

"This is Fairy Lin Wan Er, her beauty is like that celestials..."

There, you got like, a detailed description of a person. Is the 'fairy' based on a beautiful japanese lore fairy, or the one from germanic lore who eat children, had hunched back, and drool like a gremlin? Nobody give a fuck.

No, I have no knowledge of germanic lore.

Topgun1908

I can't identify people irl by their faces so I instead identify people with hair style/colour and body shape. So that's the most description I bother giving about how a character looks because It's the only way I identify people irl.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Is the 'fairy' based on a beautiful japanese lore fairy, or the one from germanic lore who eat children, had hunched back, and drool like a gremlin?
Ngl, the based fairy, preferably living in a house made out of gingerbread, is so much cooler

Mortrexo

Having a glossary, at least of the main characters of your novel can help a lot. Especially if you are writing a novel with many skills. You can write quite a lot in the glossary. The main drawback is that you can't write more than 500 words per section.

My glossary.

ArkKitty

I wrote what my imagination is depicting the things .... and sometimes it just says 'Shiny' or 'Pretty' Heheheheheh

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I only make very simple descriptions of things, because I can't remember any descriptions when I'm reading something, so I'm not gonna put effort into writing them as an author when I don't care about them as a reader.

I write stuff aimed towards my tastes first and foremost. And description is not something I care about, so I only give the bare minimum~

Toripuru-S

Having a glossary, at least of the main characters of your novel can help a lot. Especially if you are writing a novel with many skills. You can write quite a lot in the glossary. The main drawback is that you can't write more than 500 words per section.

My glossary.
This ❤️

I just try to describe what needs to be explained without going overboard/monotonous/snoooooooze fest mode :sleep:, and save any heavy exposition bombs for the Glossary or in-between chapter content.

It also helps that I cheat a little by getting illustrations made for important characters and key scenes, to go along with my descriptions.

K_Jira

I usually describe things that I want them to have a certain image. If I want them to seem beautiful, I would use flowery words. If I want them to be scary, I would describe what made them that. But if there is nothing particular about the thing/person, I won't give much description on that.

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
On one hand yes I do care cause blue shirt red eyes is not too original and doesn't make him stand out on the other hand books be making three pages dedicated to this dudes bloodline like the bible and I'm like "Is this about Yellow or Yellow's Family tree"

lambenttyto

Personally I stopped giving a crap about how "detailed" my descriptions are. I've lost all of my ability to care. This is probably something I'm gonna regret later on but eh.
Mostly I don't use that much description, when you say "description" do you mean what things look like? Because I'm constantly trying to add in more sounds, smells, the way things smell, etc. Often I don't really have that much description, but at times where I feel like I want more, I'll spend several paragraphs describing something, like how sexy Amelie is in Jeanbleau the Evil Adventurer.

yurinium

There's 'details' and then there's 'necessary details' , I am trying to write the latter. About what's necessary, I think reading more gives me an idea of what kind of details to write.