Do you have a movie playing out in your head when writing a story?

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
There are many ways to tell a story. For me, my first and natural instinct will always be visualizing or imagining the movie scene in my head and then writing it down—or telling it with an engaging voice. “Watch the movie in my head and tell the story,” that’s the best way to describe how I write.

But I also noticed that some authors write in a way that’s more of an oral storytelling kind of way. Like, you sitting down on a chair, looking straight at your audience, and then telling them a story—recounting your life experience or telling jokes and funny anecdotes like a stand-up comedian.

Some only see texts and think of telling stories as simply relaying information.

There seems to be many ways to tell a story. The different styles and techniques always fascinate me.

What about you? How do you usually write? Do you imagine a movie in your head and weave it into narrative like I do, or are you telling it like oral storytelling? Or maybe you have your own unique styles? Please, broaden my horizon.
It’s a must for me since my fighting scene is more detailed to the position of the attack.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
There are many ways to tell a story. For me, my first and natural instinct will always be visualizing or imagining the movie scene in my head and then writing it down—or telling it with an engaging voice. “Watch the movie in my head and tell the story,” that’s the best way to describe how I write.

But I also noticed that some authors write in a way that’s more of an oral storytelling kind of way. Like, you sitting down on a chair, looking straight at your audience, and then telling them a story—recounting your life experience or telling jokes and funny anecdotes like a stand-up comedian.

Some only see texts and think of telling stories as simply relaying information.

There seems to be many ways to tell a story. The different styles and techniques always fascinate me.

What about you? How do you usually write? Do you imagine a movie in your head and weave it into narrative like I do, or are you telling it like oral storytelling? Or maybe you have your own unique styles? Please, broaden my horizon.
I think in pictures, mostly. So, I imagine a movie.

D

Deleted member 57675

Happens like character going through the emotions/scenes.

for me, i kinda prefer to see it like playing a game.

when i watch movies, it doesn't feel that interactive and that aspect makes it kinda boring. like no matter what i do, if i don't like it, i can only stop watching it.

BlackKnightX

for me, i kinda prefer to see it like playing a game.

when i watch movies, it doesn't feel that interactive and that aspect makes it kinda boring. like no matter what i do, if i don't like it, i can only stop watching it.
That’s a great way to approach it. Visualizing the story this way forces you to stay in one POV at a time, which will please a lot of critics and the writing teachers. But then again, who give a shit about critics anyway~? lol

Vladarius

Tis but a scratch. Tis but a flesh wound.
I tend to plan out a storyline, and then think of the storyline as a long-ass-video, but when I actually start writing the video, rewinds, stops, or simply resumes from a selected part.

ED. the videos tend to be animations, and usually those tend to be high quality thanks to all of the knowledge I have about the fundamentals of drawing and animation.

SkippyForfex

The way I write is more descriptive than than it is conversative. I like to describe the characters feelings, emotions or their surroundings more beautifully and I spend a lot of time on it.

Here's a piece from my unpublished novel.

"Noah Callisto", a loud voice, broke the atmosphere in the court. "Are you aware of your crimes?"

Silence was the answer they got from Noah.

He was kneeling on the floor, his arms and legs bound by thick iron chains. His once beautiful white hair, was now dirty and has lost its color. His gleaming light blue slit eyes had lost their shine and looked dull and dead.

The sunlight escaped through the gaps on the window and fell on his face which made him squint his eyes.

The ministers and soldiers in the room glared at him with eyes full of bloodlust and hatred.

"Noah Callisto! You have been asked a question. How dare you stay silent in the presence of the emperor!!"

He still stayed silent. He barely had energy to speak. Even if he could, he had nothing to say to the raging faces of the nobles.

With the little strength he had, Noah lifted his head and looked at the person in front of him. The sound of the chains clinking disturbed the flow of emotions around him. He saw a blurry black haired figure sitting high above him.

Sitting in a throne, was the 9th Emperor of Florentina, Arthur Aeneas Valentius, glaring at him with intense golden eyes. Noah flinched as their eyes met. He gritted his teeth and averted his gaze.

(I don't know if it helped but here)

As for the movie thingy, I guess you could say that. What I do is put myself in the character's shoes and play out the scene in my head. I think for a while and then get to writing it out. I do use google a lot, for synonyms of the words. Rather than repeating a word, a use different words with the same meanings so it doesn't get too awkward(?)

And I get people to read it for me so that they can criticize on it. I get to know my mistakes and improve from there on.

I hope this helped you out!

Happy writing~

BlackKnightX

The way I write is more descriptive than than it is conversative. I like to describe the characters feelings, emotions or their surroundings more beautifully and I spend a lot of time on it.

Here's a piece from my unpublished novel.

"Noah Callisto", a loud voice, broke the atmosphere in the court. "Are you aware of your crimes?"

Silence was the answer they got from Noah.

He was kneeling on the floor, his arms and legs bound by thick iron chains. His once beautiful white hair, was now dirty and has lost its color. His gleaming light blue slit eyes had lost their shine and looked dull and dead.

The sunlight escaped through the gaps on the window and fell on his face which made him squint his eyes.

The ministers and soldiers in the room glared at him with eyes full of bloodlust and hatred.

"Noah Callisto! You have been asked a question. How dare you stay silent in the presence of the emperor!!"

He still stayed silent. He barely had energy to speak. Even if he could, he had nothing to say to the raging faces of the nobles.

With the little strength he had, Noah lifted his head and looked at the person in front of him. The sound of the chains clinking disturbed the flow of emotions around him. He saw a blurry black haired figure sitting high above him.

Sitting in a throne, was the 9th Emperor of Florentina, Arthur Aeneas Valentius, glaring at him with intense golden eyes. Noah flinched as their eyes met. He gritted his teeth and averted his gaze.

(I don't know if it helped but here)

As for the movie thingy, I guess you could say that. What I do is put myself in the character's shoes and play out the scene in my head. I think for a while and then get to writing it out. I do use google a lot, for synonyms of the words. Rather than repeating a word, a use different words with the same meanings so it doesn't get too awkward(?)

And I get people to read it for me so that they can criticize on it. I get to know my mistakes and improve from there on.

I hope this helped you out!

Happy writing~
That’s pretty good. I can see the scene play out vividly in my mind. Well done.

I write in a similar way, but I tend to focus more on the narrator’s voice and the flow of the story than the descriptions. Doesn’t mean that I don’t describe, though. I do describe a lot, but I usually just paint the picture with a brushstroke, highlighting only the important details, and then move on with the story.

SkippyForfex

That’s pretty good. I can see the scene play out vividly in my mind. Well done.

I write in a similar way, but I tend to focus more on the narrator’s voice and the flow of the story than the descriptions. Doesn’t mean that I don’t describe, though. I do describe a lot, but I usually just paint the picture with a brushstroke, highlighting only the important details, and then move on with the story.
That's a great way too! Keep it up!

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

no. My mind doesn't have the hardware