Do you know visual novel?

Ace_Raven

So, as a fellow reader and or writer.

Do you read or at least know some visual novel?

First a bit of context for this post.

Me as a reader, read a lot of visual novel.

And i think "wow this is beyond impressive. How i tried this just now!?"

So what about you guys?

Sure not all of them is unique or masterpiece and the 18+ gimmick sometime annoying.

But thinking about the concept of a vn i think it something that should have been more popular (logically speaking) it's like reading and or watching novel, manga, and anime at the same time.

It's middle ground of imagination and visual treat. (At least that what i think.)

So what about you?

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
:blob_aww:Steins Gate, perhaps the only Visual Novel I know of.
It's freaking great. After playing through it multiple times, my soul literally died in depression and happiness.

There's also :blobspearpeek:Danganronpa, which is also just as good. But from my experience, I am not sure if it is a Visual Novel or not due to its unique takes on Visual Novel elements, which aren't bad in its own way. Anyhow I'mma just put it here because technically it is also a Visual Novel as well.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I like this one:

consiano

I m a fan of visual novels.
They're really great. Right now, I read 9-nine episode 2.

I remember my first time read VN was a really old one and just about 500MB space named private nurse. Also, read Clannad until 3 A.M crying in my bed even though I need ready for high school at 6 A.M.

My favorite was Muv-Luv Alternative. Especially I played this trilogy. I played this VN still play dozen of VN and read it without knowing anything. After finished two main heroines and unlock the Unlimited one and story was just blow my mind. Also, the first one that VN uses many special effects. Like the movement of view from the protagonist's view.

Sometimes I read the Japanese one with machine translation, even though not understanding all of the stories. I still can enjoy it. I read Rui wa Tomo o Yobu in Japanese. It was a great one. Too bad no one translate it...

yunano34a1

But thinking about the concept of a vn i think it something that should have been more popular (logically speaking) it's like reading and or watching novel, manga, and anime at the same time.

It's middle ground of imagination and visual treat. (At least that what i think.)

I have experience in game dev and I kid you not it takes a lot and time to make games especially if you're on your own.

In terms of creating VNs you need a bunch of illustrators, coders/programmers, sfx/music composers, and etc in which makes it difficult to pay for them or have a company/studio support you (again money is needed)

It should be popular if it weren't too costly to make

and yes I agree they're good for stimulating your imagination and visual treat

P.S. Luckily I know how to code for VNs and draw really great but I won't gamble my time for this lol (yes I'm also a starving artist lol)

EternalSunset0

I played some of them. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm is one of my favorites. I also finished all routes for Hakuoki. Just the original one and none of the spinoffs.

I also played The Devil on G-String.

Do anime tie-ins count? Because a lot of the games that are based on anime have a VN-like section regardless of the genre. If they count, then I have also played through the Madoka Magica and Date a Live Playstation games. Currently trying to get a hold of the Re:zero games.

Ace_Raven

I have experience in game dev and I kid you not it takes a lot and time to make games especially if you're on your own.

In terms of creating VNs you need a bunch of illustrators, coders/programmers, sfx/music composers, and etc in which makes it difficult to pay for them or have a company/studio support you (again money is needed)

It should be popular if it weren't too costly to make

and yes I agree they're good for stimulating your imagination and visual treat

P.S. Luckily I know how to code for VNs and draw really great but I won't gamble my time for this lol (yes I'm also a starving artist lol)
Yeah that is exactly why.

Vn creation is costly. It should had more consumers?

Like i am wondering why vn not as popular as that (harem full of bloodshed, waifu wars which one girl win and those who bets on the losing team would rage turned to the dark side of the force kind of situation).

Damn brother, stop watching that kind of anime. And start choose your own path by playing vn.

Take clannad (or shuffle) for example and imagine the anime released now a days. There will be a bloodshed.

If you play vn, you can choose Tomoyo, choose Kotomi, choose Ryou and nothing can stop you.

Sometimes i left wondering why vn not as popular as manga at least.

There's also a reasons why anime like one room gets 3 season. People likes vn, but they simply just not know it yet.

*Sad face* to the dying japanese vn industries.

But at least *smile face* to the growing vn interest on the international market.
I played some of them. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm is one of my favorites.
Yeah i knew right!?

I like the fact that it's english release, revived the whole company.

The RIP and the Revival of sprite.

EternalSunset0

Sometimes i left wondering why vn not as popular as manga at least.
I think it's because VNs are huge timesinks. The stories are great and all, but not many people are willing to spend 50 hours or so typing and picking decisions.

In those 50 hours, you could have finished multiple manga series, so many 12 episode anime, and such. For gaming, those 50 hours could have been spent finishing around 1 or 2 JRPGa already, where you actually get to pay something rather than just read text.

Ace_Raven

I think it's because VNs are huge timesinks. The stories are great and all, but not many people are willing to spend 50 hours or so typing and picking decisions.

In those 50 hours, you could have finished multiple manga series, so many 12 episode anime, and such. For gaming, those 50 hours could have been spent finishing around 1 or 2 JRPGa already, where you actually get to pay something rather than just read text.
Yeah...

It's sad knowing that.

Like, even on the fan side(translation and fansub) anime, manga, and novel is more popular than vn.

But at least i know that vn translation is not non-existing.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
Visual Novel is technically a game, as such you need to gauge it as a game and we all know what is populer in game market, and that is online games, AAA games, unique indie games, casual games, etc.

Against those type of games, visual novel is not very appealing. Outside Japan, VN has a rather limited circle of player. Especially with the stigma coming from the standard plot used the majority VN that is School Haromcom with NSFW content. Naturally that is not the only genre for VN, but those are the first impression I had when I first heard about VN.

Ace Attorney and Danganropa are one of my favorite VN. While they're technically VN, I didn't realize that at first because they aren't very VN-nish. But that only shows of how people perception of What is VN?, making them not very popular.

As for why they arent very popular vs anime and manga... It's actually pretty simple:

—Anime is fully animated, VN is not

—Manga focuses on more visual with some text, the most VNs have more text and less visual except for events

—Anime and manga has simpler easy to follow plot, VN tends to have branched plot and many hours of gameplay to follow, that can be tiring

—Anime and manga broke the border of language with many, both official and fan translation... While the most VNs are only translated to either chinese or english, translating VN is also super hard because they got ton more text

—Not everyone like playing game, especially if that game is a hell of text

So, yeah, as you can see, with a few exception of a few popular series....

"VN market is dying" —Jun Maeda aborting Angel Beat ~2nd BEAT~ to make that crappy rushed anime for Odin-sama!

Last edited:

Ace_Raven

Visual Novel is technically a game, as such you need to gauge it as a game and we all know what is populer in game market, and that is online games, AAA games, unique indie games, casual games, etc.

Against those type of games, visual novel is not very appealing. Outside Japan, VN has a rather limited circle of player. Especially with the stigma coming from the standard plot used the majority VN that is School Haromcom with NSFW content. Naturally that is not the only genre for VN, but those are the first impression I had when I first heard about VN.

Ace Attorney and Danganropa are one of my favorite VN. While they're technically VN, I didn't realize that at first because they aren't very VN-nish. But that only shows of how people perception of What is VN?, making them not very popular.

As for why they arent very popular vs anime and manga... It's actually pretty simple:

—Anime is fully animated, VN is not

—Manga focuses on more visual with some text, the most VNs have more text and less visual except for events

—Anime and manga has simpler easy to follow plot, VN tends to have branched plot and many hours of gameplay to follow, that can be tiring

—Anime and manga broke the border of language with many, both official and fan translation... While the most VNs are only translated to either chinese or english, translating VN is also super hard because they got ton more text

—Not everyone like playing game, especially if that game is a hell of text

So, yeah, as you can see, with a few exception of a few popular series....

"VN market is dying" —Jun Maeda aborting Angel Beat ~2nd BEAT~ to make that crappy rushed anime for Odin-sama!
Well you are right about that.

But people have the tendency to be wrong about the future.

And actually i am hopeful about that.

Hell, i still even remember when hideaki ano said in 2015, "anime industries life is just 5 years."

Maybe we as human is not stupid to be so oblivious towards fact. But, the future is not as predictable as when the first snow will falls.

After all, Human can only be so right towards bad things that they will get happy when they realized that they are wrong.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
So, as a fellow reader and or writer.

Do you read or at least know some visual novel?

First a bit of context for this post.

Me as a reader, read a lot of visual novel.

And i think "wow this is beyond impressive. How i tried this just now!?"

So what about you guys?

Sure not all of them is unique or masterpiece and the 18+ gimmick sometime annoying.

So what about you?
Making a visual novel is expensive. Sure it's nowhere near as expensive as a full-fledged game or an anime, but those are needs to be paid for. Ai-chan has two visual novels in the back burner. Almost completed, but the price for the art is prohibitively expensive.