Do you like Chemistry?

• Thread starter Deleted member 52382
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52382

I don't. I have a burning hatred for Chemistry that can only be solved by going back in time and murdering Jabir Ibn Hayyan(popularly known as the 'Mediterranean Loli Hated by Everyone', or the 'Father of Chemistry' but I know it won't do anything.)

Just now I discussed Pseudorotaxanes synthesis/application with someone and my brain literally died in the middle of the conversation. I actually wish I had spent as much time on Physics as I did on Chem because the former has robust, well-reasoned models that can actually be used for things other than answering questions. Chemistry on the other hand is just another field of Chinese Kamasutra where the complexity of each topic is too high for a human cumbrain to process.

So, do you like Chemistry?

Last edited by a moderator:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I think I had classes on chemistry. I'm gonna remember what hap-

*ArcadiaBlade.exe has stopped responding*

[This is a pre-recorded message from Arcadia Blade in case brain has died:

If people are listening to this, that means that i probably just blew out my brain and needed to readjust my brain waves while stopping the riot inside my brain which is currently in anarcy as we lost the leader. I might be sane in about a day or two but as for novel writing, maybe a week as we might need a new replacement for the author that might had died during the riot. Thats all.]

D

Deleted member 49654

Not too much in to chemistry, but it was ok. Especially organic chemistry, as it can be pretty interesting. Biochemistry as well. I liked that one quite a lot.

skillet

a frying pan
uhhh from high school I liked chemistry best out of all the sciences, but also I disliked science most out of all of my subjects, so I'm not too sure if that counts :sweating_profusely:
One thing I do know for sure is that I loathe physics and that is a fact :D we are therefore probably opposites on this end! ahaha

D

Deleted member 53101

When I spend my time trying to understanding chemistry, I realized that it is something I shouldn't touch. But stoichiometry is fine, I'm quite good at them, and redox, oh, acid-base titration is also fun.

Lentin

Same feeling with the comment above. Biochemistry and organic chemistry was alright, but out of all the branches of the subject, I found physical chemistry a pain in the ass. I hated thermodynamics and always will hate it.

lazyBeast

I like chemistry somewhat because you just have to memorise the reactions,

such as if someone accidentally drops copper sulfate powder in water, I know how to turn it into copper you just add Sodium hydroxide to it, and then after heating you get copper oxide and then heat it with carbon and finally copper. or put a piece of iron in it and when copper ions touch iron it turns to copper

Yamemai

It was alright, didn't like how we had to memorize all these names, words, how they paired, and such.

Probably would have liked it better if we were able to actually do chemistry, like in some of the movies/tv/shows.

D

Deleted member 49654

Same feeling with the comment above. Biochemistry and organic chemistry was alright, but out of all the branches of the subject, I found physical chemistry a pain in the ass. I hated thermodynamics and always will hate it.
Yes, I don't like thermodynamics as well. xD
It was alright, didn't like how we had to memorize all these names, words, how they paired, and such.

Probably would have liked it better if we were able to actually do chemistry, like in some of the movies/tv/shows.
Therefore organic and biochemistry. You have to memorize some stuff at the beginning, but later, when you delve deeper, you can see more logic in it.

D

Deleted member 52382

I have a master's in chem bruh I feel offended. :blob_catflip: :blob_catflip::blob_catflip:
It's interesting, but chemistry is very hard to master. The thing is, in practical research chemicals NEVER behave the way you want them to. It seems like almost every genuinely cool/interesting/useful discovery is serendipitous.
When I spend my time trying to understanding chemistry, I realized that it is something I shouldn't touch. But stoichiometry is fine, I'm quite good at them, and redox, oh, acid-base titration is also fun.
That's not even even the tip of the iceberg, my friend.
uhhh from high school I liked chemistry best out of all the sciences, but also I disliked science most out of all of my subjects, so I'm not too sure if that counts :sweating_profusely:
One thing I do know for sure is that I loathe physics and that is a fact :D we are therefore probably opposites on this end! ahaha
PepeYikes.png

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Of course, I quickly assumed you were referring to the physical science of chemistry. Not so.

Every day I find myself finding that these rabbit holes of bizarre genres go deeper and deeper...

Agentt

Thighs
I think I had classes on chemistry. I'm gonna remember what hap-

*ArcadiaBlade.exe has stopped responding*

[This is a pre-recorded message from Arcadia Blade in case brain has died:

If people are listening to this, that means that i probably just blew out my brain and needed to readjust my brain waves while stopping the riot inside my brain which is currently in anarcy as we lost the leader. I might be sane in about a day or two but as for novel writing, maybe a week as we might need a new replacement for the author that might had died during the riot. Thats all.]
A really good excuse to not post another chapter for another month

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
It's interesting, but chemistry is very hard to master. The thing is, in practical research chemicals NEVER behave the way you want them to. It seems like almost every genuinely cool/interesting/useful discovery is serendipitous.

That's not even even the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

View attachment 7332
The model of chemistry are just plain not as good as physics. I am in highschool (it's india so on practical terms it's more like first year of BSc cause of jee advanced)but the models in chemistry feels like excuses someone came up after seeing the experiments. Just best guesses.
While in physics it's mostly explained by the models. Except a few thing which still feel made up. Like surface tension making the meniscus bend from forces. Everything except that makes sense.

It's either someone is making excuses to explain shit OR
they are just so many axioms and so many things which don't correspond with reality and just help with visualization that i just can't remember them all.
CH2=CH-(CH3)2 is more stable than CH3CH=CHCH3
you would think that CH3 being on diffirent atoms would make them more stable cause they won't push each other but turns out
that first one has inductive effect after hyperconjugation which destabilizes it.
How is someone supposed to remember that. No one would even guess it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 52382

The model of chemistry are just plain not as good as physics. I am in highschool (it's india so on practical terms it's more like first year of BSc cause of jee advanced)but the models in chemistry feels like excuses someone came up after seeing the experiments. Just best guesses.
While in physics it's mostly explained by the models. Except a few thing which still feel made up. Like surface tension making the meniscus bend from forces. Everything except that makes sense.

It's either someone is making excuses to explain shit OR
they are just so many axioms and so many things which don't correspond with reality and just help with visualization that i just can't remember them all.
CH2=CH-(CH3)2 is more stable than CH3CH=CHCH3
you would think that CH3 being on diffirent atoms would make them more stable cause they won't push each other but turns out
that first one has inductive effect after hyperconjugation which destabilizes it.
How is someone supposed to remember that. No one would even guess it
Ah, JEE Advanced. Would you believe me if I told you we did them a while ago for practice?

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
Ah, JEE Advanced. Would you believe me if I told you we did them a while ago for practice?
yes. I would believe that.
everyday I go to some youtube video and read comments saying.
"thank you professor. this really explained things"
just makes me sad bruh. this shit is child abuse. no one should need to suffer through chemistry.
it's even more stupid cause most people do computer engineering after jee advanced. which get this never uses chemistry at all. physics is also never used.so all that is literally for nothing

nosinkarma

Bruh at higher levels, everything is just pure theory. You might think that maybe once we go in master's or PhD program it become better, nah.
You just cram even more. Practical more yes, but only what prof likes and what industry demands. And that consist of like 5 percent of your books.
Also chemistry is like hybrid of bio and phy in study model. You cram more like bio but you also need logic more like phy too.

For real organic chemistry may seem like pure cramming but it is really is not. Though it is true that chemistry is not purely reason and logic based like physics but I have seen many people suffer in math and pyhsics at higher level as it just becomes absurd. People struggle so much to even get a single question assignment done then they just complain how easy it was for you chem guys.

Plus JEE is over rated for real or more like engineering is overrated people form third rate and best colleges work in same industry and same position at same pay grade after first few years of work, experience and actual abilities matter.

D

Deleted member 45782

I only like chemistry because it sounded cool combustible and really interesting chemical experiments.
Reality: watch videos in class about chemistry. maybe just the ice melt to liquid thing. dry ice was cool thats about it from what i remembered.

D

Deleted member 52929

Back in High School I used to enjoy the practicals and demonstrations, but the math in Chemistry always killed my brain cells. To this day I still have no clue how to balance equations and honestly I don't think I'd get it even if someone explained it to me lmao