Do you like or dislike it when...

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42060

Do you like or dislike it when your friends or acquaintances read your story then they say, "The MC reminds me of you" or "The MC is so you"? Personally, it annoys me for some reason. I am actually trying to separate myself from the MC, but I guess old habits die hard.

SailusGebel

They don't know English well enough to read my stories. But, it's not that my writing is godly. It's them not knowing the language, like, at all.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Do you like or dislike it when your friends or acquaintances read your story then they say, "The MC reminds me of you" or "The MC is so you"? Personally, it annoys me for some reason. I am actually trying to separate myself from the MC, but I guess old habits die hard.
Lol no. Friends and family dont read my stuff. Dont even know about it. Online friends, yeah. But my characters are pretty out there, not really like me at all. Maybe they have some of my values, but yeah. Personality wise, no. Well, not unless they get really extreme and start speaking like a sailor

Kitsura

Dear god I don’t let my friends read what I write.

my hot mess is my own

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
I've never had this happen, as of yet.

But that may be because I don't have that many friends who'd read through my things that much.

I do know someone who suffers from the "this character is just like you" bane and I might have been the one to say it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Husband reads my story. He knows that I am Joan and he is Michael.
Sometimes, my boyfriends read it, too! I tell new people I might date to read my story to get an idea of my personality.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
Well, every character an author writes is in some form an extension of themselves, even if just a little.

If your friends see 'you' in the MC while trying to make a distinct character unlike yourself, then you clearly aren't trying hard enough.

Do a character study of a unique person or fictional character and peer into their thought process and habits if you are so bothered by it.

As for me, I already know my MC and several supporting/secondary characters of my story will carry an aspect of my own personality, whether it be the persona I show outwardly or one I hide secretly to myself. I'm not bothered by that fact.

The minimum I would do is give enough distinction between my characters so that they don't all become the same rehashed personality with a different skin, hair, etc.

Think of cultivation stories where every antagonist wants to ruthlessly kill you because you're arrogant; isekai/reincarnation stories where the MC is a brainless walking sack of shit that knows 'no common sense' and relies on a heavy suit of plot armor and OP skills to survive; or a game-type story where only the MC has a system/interface to himself/dungeons and fights alone/has a legendary class, has a sick/dying mother in the hospital, or is paying off a huge family debt, where the debt has almost no bearing on the story's progression...

Apologies, I'm sure you can tell how sick I am of the same rehashed character tropes. Maybe I just need to read better content.

blanksphere

Friends? Do imaginary friends count? I'm guessing no.
Irl, my laptop and I are the only ones who know I'm writing things.
Tbh, the MC will always share some aspects with me even if just a little. I mean, the story came from my imagination so it would be odd if I wrote something that felt completely foreign and incomprehensible to me.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Ah, yes... I'm a tall, gold skinned, ripped futa that used to be an accomplished artist and now is an op being... screames 'me'

EternalSunset0

Not at all for me. I think the easiest way to write characters is to make them extensions of yourself, so you can more easily answer the "what would they do?" questions when writing. Essentially, I split my overall personality into different characters.

So if someone would tell me that, I won't be super happy or anything, but my reaction would be more of a dull "Oh... yeah, makes sense."

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well, they say that the best character you can make is yourself... so once in a while you would align your own personality to the MC just as you write. This issue will less likely to occur when you have a premade character chart and a set route that fixes your character's agenda. The only time the character becomes you is when you freeball a bit too hard and put yourself in their situation. Don't do that.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
:blob_cookie: In the first place, you shouldn't have said it. Just keep the story to yourself, keep it a secret. Or else they'll make fun of you.

HelenBold

Just accept it and get over it. If you love the characters you have created, then be glad that people see your resemblance to them. Every character you will create will have at least a tiny bit of you. Those close enough can always spot that. Just be happy with it and make some interesting characters to represent you as a writer :D

Surfing_Cipher

Lol no. Friends and family dont read my stuff. Dont even know about it. Online friends, yeah. But my characters are pretty out there, not really like me at all. Maybe they have some of my values, but yeah. Personality wise, no. Well, not unless they get really extreme and start speaking like a sailor
no, i think they will just say my story is cursed.
Are u THE LENGENDARY Florida man
True.
True.

Last edited: