Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Like the title suggests, dear forum-goers, do you like plot twists?

I'm starting this forum page because, well, if you haven't seen my chosen title -- Cliff Hanger Player -- I have a slight flair for the dramatics. Now, I'm asking this because I'm a mystery and psychological writer, so my stories are expected to have plot twists or deeply embedded secrets in the writing. But, I want hear the opinions of other authors and readers! So, what do you have to say about plot twists?

Do you love them? And, why so?

Do you hate them? And, why so?

Is there a certain way that plot twists have to be written in order for you to enjoy them?

Do you think that plot twists are a means of lazy writing or a sign of an author not having a cohesive story line?

Please, tell me all about it! The forums have been a bit dead lately, so let's spice things up :blob_popcorn:

MrTiemos

DinoSir, thank you very much!
Bit of a vague question.
I’ll go with ‘Eh’ because of two things: 1-The plot twist should make sense to the story/setting, 2-No deus-ex-machina.

Some of my most hated plot twists is ‘It was just a dream’ and sudden power gains.
Some of my favorite plot twists is identity reveals (Scooby Doo, looking at you) and hidden romance.

tldr: Sometimes

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
The plot twist has to make sense in order for me to like it. Plot twist where something completely out of the ball park comes blaring in like some random outer space aliens in my medieval fantasy? I hate that. Plot twist like Kimi no Na wa with Mitsuha? I'm all for that.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Like a lot of people before me, it depends.

I could go and list some really specific plot twists I do/don't enjoy from obscure sources, but for a rough general guidline:
After reading the plot twist, I should be able to go back and discover hints/clues/foreshadowing of the plot twist, otherwise it seems like it was pulled out of thin air for no reason. Also it can't be too out of left field.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Bit of a vague question.
I’ll go with ‘Eh’ because of two things: 1-The plot twist should make sense to the story/setting, 2-No deus-ex-machina.

Some of my most hated plot twists is ‘It was just a dream’ and sudden power gains.
Some of my favorite plot twists is identity reveals (Scooby Doo, looking at you) and hidden romance.

tldr: Sometimes
I totally get that, some plot twists are generally horribly done and just pop out of nowhere in a genre that doesn't seem to fit it. But I love plot twists in dramatic stories and in romance novels, where its revealed the love interests knew each other since childhood, or something along those lines :blob_popcorn:
The plot twist has to make sense in order for me to like it. Plot twist where something completely out of the ball park comes blaring in like some random outer space aliens in my medieval fantasy? I hate that. Plot twist like Kimi no Na wa with Mitsuha? I'm all for that.
Out of place plot twists suck! They seem like poor excuses to cover up flaws in the writing but instead make the entire novel and story seem cheapened. And, I definitely agree in your taste with Kimi no Na wa <3
I'm ok with it. Not too fond nor do I dislike them.

Its the execution that matters in my opinion.
Definitely right.
Like a lot of people before me, it depends.

I could go and list some really specific plot twists I do/don't enjoy from obscure sources, but for a rough general guidline:
After reading the plot twist, I should be able to go back and discover hints/clues/foreshadowing of the plot twist, otherwise it seems like it was pulled out of thin air for no reason. Also it can't be too out of left field.
I'd love to hear some of the plot twists that you didn't enjoy. And, I totally get that feeling. Sometimes I read through my favorite novels that horribly obtuse endings that strayed from the plot and I wonder just how they ended up so terribly, but nothing pointed towards the event happening. Rip my mind.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Only and only if it's done right. No ass-pulls, no I'm-actually-your-sister-surprise, no bull and no shit. I want to see left clues and foreshadowing dialogue. I don't want a blatant deus-ex machina from your anal canal. I want a good, kick in the balls surprise that I've never, EVER seen coming.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
Only and only if it's done right. No ass-pulls, no I'm-actually-your-sister-surprise, no bull and no shit. I want to see left clues and foreshadowing dialogue. I don't want a blatant deus-ex machina from your anal canal. I want a good, kick in the balls surprise that I've never, EVER seen coming.
How do you have a plot twist that you don't see coming that also have clues in the text? :blob_joy:

Joking aside, I totally get the feeling.

There are also some plot twists I've read that are blatantly obvious and disappointing at times :(

I think the story itself matters a lot more. Anything asspulls, deus ex machina, I don't care. As long it interests me, I can tolerate anything.

If I don't like the story, I won't give a damn 'bout any plot twist whatsoever.

ChubbyLiv

Call me a masochist or something, but I love when an author is able to face-slap me, and proves to me, that I was wrong.

I like this type of plot twists. :blob_okay: