Do you like slice of life? Why?

BlackKnightX

I have a confession to make. I—love slice of life.

Yep, the story that’s might be considered slow and boring to some people, but I just love it. I heard some people criticizing this genre as being boring, there’s not much conflicts, the stake isn’t high enough or almost nonexistent, it’s just too slow, or there’s no plot.

But despite all that, I still love it.

For me personally, what appeals to me about this genre is that it’s just pure fun and wholesome to read. It’s easy to digest. It gives off that fluffy feeling. It makes me smile from ear to ear. And all in all just gives me comfort.

A lot of writing advices often say that a good story needs a lot of conflicts and tensions, and don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you don’t need them, but sometime I just want the sweet little fluffs.

You know, the moment when the characters just have fun and joke around with each other. And sometime they go on an adventure just for the sake of enjoying themself and exploring the world, and not because the plot forces them to.

Or if you’re a fan of anime, you’ll surely know, “the beach episode”, right? It’s an episode in an anime that dedicated purely for fan service with the waifus in the swimsuits.

Now, what I’m tryna say is not about the swimsuit (although that’s one of the reason I like watching it too *ahem*), but about the feeling that episode gives off. It’s just pure fluffs with no plot progression or any tense conflicts. It‘s just fun to watch and you don’t have to think much about anything.

So, all that was the reason why I love this genre, but what about you guys? Do you like slice of life? If so, why?

———

An example of what I like is Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense. Have you ever watch or read it?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

Yep, the story that’s might be considered slow and boring to some people, but I just love it. I heard some people criticizing this genre as being boring, there’s not much conflicts, the stake isn’t high enough or almost nonexistent, it’s just too slow, or there’s no plot.

For me personally, what appeals to me about this genre is that it’s just pure fun and wholesome to read. It’s easy to digest. It gives off that fluffy feeling. It makes me smile from ear to ear. And all in all just gives me comfort.

A lot of writing advices often say that a good story needs a lot of conflicts and tensions, and don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that you don’t need them, but sometime I just want the sweet little fluffs.

You know, the moment when the characters just have fun and joke around with each other. And sometime they go on an adventure just for the sake of enjoying themself and exploring the world, and not because the plot forces them to.

Or if you’re a fan of anime, you’ll surely know, “the beach episode”, right? It’s an episode in an anime that dedicated purely for fan service with the waifus in the swimsuits.

Now, what I’m tryna say is not about the swimsuit (although that’s one of the reason I like watching it too *ahem*), but about the feeling that episode gives off. It’s just pure fluffs with no plot progression or any tense conflicts. It‘s just fun to watch and you don’t have to think much about anything.

So, all that was the reason why I love this genre, but what about you guys? Do you like slice of life? If so, why?

———

An example of what I like is Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense. Have you ever watch or read it?
I like SoL cuz there's already enough drama in my life for me to get into any "intense, plot-filled action" novel. I can agree though, action and a bit of drama are necessary elements to keep a story active and fun, but I read too many of those already. So, I like reading SoL. The sad thing is because there isn't any active challenges or such, I usually drop those types of novels after reading around 6/10 of the published chapters (I almost always only read novels with at least 20~30 chapters already posted)

BlackKnightX

Does Horimiya or Wotakoi count as a slice of life, or not? If it does, I would say I prefer a slice of life + romance, minus fantasy. Fantasy + slice of life is boring to me. If it doesn't, I would say that I'm neutral about the whole slice of life genre.
Well, most romance, especially rom-com, are slice of life.
I like SoL cuz there's already enough drama in my life for me to get into any "intense, plot-filled action" novel. I can agree though, action and a bit of drama are necessary elements to keep a story active and fun, but I read too many of those already. So, I like reading SoL. The sad thing is because there isn't any active challenges or such, I usually drop those types of novels after reading around 6/10 of the published chapters (I almost always only read novels with at least 20~30 chapters already posted)
I understand what you mean. What so fun about slice of life is that it lets the characters we already know and care about shine with their personalities. But to know and care about the characters to the very core, we usually need to see them in a tense situation or in a pinch.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Well, most romance, especially rom-com, are slice of life.
Everyone has a different definition for every genre, so I wanted to be sure. Anyway, the one that I currently enjoy the most and wait for a new chapter eagerly is: "Boku no Kokoro no Yabai yatsu." Why do I like slice of life? Because when it comes in a combo with romance, it lets me die with diabetes. Peacefully and happily.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Mine starts as slice of life and turns into fantasy at Chapter 40.

BlackKnightX

Everyone has a different definition for every genre, so I wanted to be sure. Anyway, the one that I currently enjoy the most and wait for a new chapter eagerly is: "Boku no Kokoro no Yabai yatsu." Why do I like slice of life? Because when it comes in a combo with romance, it lets me die with diabetes. Peacefully and happily.
Well, I use slice of life with the word fluff interchangeably even though they’re not technically the same thing.

Slice of life is a genre while fluff is just just a part of the story that will let you die with diabetes. I think what you were talking about is fluff.

SailusGebel

Well, I use slice of life with the word fluff interchangeably even though they’re not technically the same thing.

Slice of life is a genre while fluff is just just a part of the story that will let you die with diabetes. I think what you were talking about is fluff.
Okay. I don't like slice of life, I like fluff.

Yamemai

Depends on the pacing & writing. It's nice/light and I prefer stories with it, but most of it just aren't written well, and/or author tends to drop it after awhile.

Imo, most SoL are really slow, like day to day and such. Then when they try to add drama --to 'stir the pot'-- there's usually no real build up or it's overdramatized.

Ps. Though, it could just be due to the medium I read them as, usually webnovels.

EternalSunset0

———

Personally, I can't see myself writing a full slice of life. I just don't have the mental creativity to keep thinking of everyday scenarios and make them engaging or funny consistently. Consistency is the key, and I don't think I have that in me.

That being said, my series does have a lot of those moments littered all over the volumes. I have a "hot springs episode," an "idol concert" segment, an "unexpected coffee shop date" segment, and more. However, they mostly serve to introduce side characters that I will use more later or add some plot developments or have someone reveal something in their mind to get the main conflict going. They almost never end with "nothing happening" as you said.

So I don't think they still count in your definition of full SoL in a pure basis. It's fluff.

As for watching SoL, I do watch them from time to time. Takagi-san is one of my favorite pretty recent anime. K-on is one of the first shows that got me started on the road to weebdom, too. And I watch the idol/musical girls shows like Love Live, Bang Dream, etc.

DubstheDuke

I'll admit that for a period I really hated slice of life just because well... there wasn't any point to it.

There was no overarching plot. Nothing ever really changes throughout the series, etc. However I think that perhaps I was mistaken in my hatred for the series.

In many slice of life series, the characters do grow as people - so even if there aren't any major action scenes or extreme situations, it can be enjoyable to watch them develop and have their own interactions.

I won't ever binge a slice of life series. It's just too slow for that. But here and there, I can appreciate it for what it is.

BlackKnightX

In many slice of life series, the characters do grow as people - so even if there aren't any major action scenes or extreme situations, it can be enjoyable to watch them develop and have their own interactions.
Honestly, if you view the characters as real people, they will grow throughout the course of the story whether you plan for it or not. Especially if you put them in trouble, they will reveal themself to you.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I've only experienced slice-of-life anime, but never in written form. How does that even go? Is it like a diary of sorts? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea because I love slice-of-life anime. Any recommendations for me to check out?

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…

———

If it’s a comedy/romance, yes. If not, Sometimes.

BlackKnightX

I've only experienced slice-of-life anime, but never in written form. How does that even go? Is it like a diary of sorts? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea because I love slice-of-life anime. Any recommendations for me to check out?
There are a lot of slice of life stories in this site, though. Check it out.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
A lot of the stories I write are pretty much all slice of life.

LilTV1155

What you can learn from slice of life. People complains because they want dramas and actions.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
There are a lot of slice of life stories in this site, though. Check it out.

Perhaps you can narrow that down for me. There are a lot of stories with that tag but clearly have SoL as a secondary or even third genre (as in, some are action oriented but have SoL in the tags). That way, I can check out stories with what you have in mind.