Do you listen to your readers?

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
It's just as it is on the title. Do you listen to your readers? So, for example. The reader comments "I hate you for killing *my fave character*" or "The story is too boring, give it up"

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Do I read every one of my comments? absolutely. Will I change the story for them - not as likely. For example, if my story doesn't even have the Action genre selected and people complain about the lack of fighting - I would most likely say that my story isn't really for them.

If someone says to me that they hate me for killing their favourite character that technically means I've done a good job on that character, no? If they say the story is too boring - that would make me look at the pacing for example and see if I made it too slow. I ignore all personal stuff in the critique otherwise.

D

Deleted member 45782

It's just as it is on the title. Do you want listen to your readers? So, the reader comments "I hate you for killing *my fave character*" or "The story is too boring, give it up"
I hardly write so nah. Plus there are more serious things in life got to attend to, so I feel like I could care less how much effort put into writing or how well its received. Maybe don't see their faces and its just like invisible readers so don't feel that much. I would ask for feedback though and mull over how certain elements in story are good (accurate depiction and stuff and whatnot). I think the i-don't-really-care helps me in a way. Others are bogged down by how their readers like or don't like their story. I'm no where near that point, but its nice bc I also feel like I got more room slack off and tell people to read at your own risk. Can be seen as bad not write much/success much but it is blessing not to care much too. :D

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
:blob_aww:I listen just for feedback on grammer and on other criticism that can help me improve. The rest well... It's their opinion and I can't change that.

I am grateful for evey reader I get because it means my crazy stories can become their escape.:blob_popcorn:

But in the end, I just write for fun. No one is paying me either. So... All I have to say, don't like it? Be careful to not let the door hit your tail on the way out. :blobspearpeek:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
It's just as it is on the title. Do you want listen to your readers? So, the reader comments "I hate you for killing *my fave character*" or "The story is too boring, give it up"
No. I tell them to read some other shit. I am open to suggestions but anyone just straight bitching can go fuck themselves.
"Why are you reading this then?"
Is my response if I see them again after complaining for for several chapters they hate the story or whatever.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
As a reader myself, my policy is always "if I don't like it, I can leave."

My other policy of writing a fanfic of "what I like" is on death's bed, cuz writing is hard. Salute to the writers who bothered to post, especially those who still update.

It is a bit like going into a shop and not liking what you see; don't buy anything then.

JK-Sama

I don't generally get much feedback from readers. Most were grammar/spelling in usually my first 1-3 chapters. Past the initial chapters, I don't get any feedback or anything at all, at least on RR. Hardly here or even Spacebattles.

bigbear51

Of course I do. If anything, I'm the one asking all them to suggest things all the time. but of course I'm on scribblehub so some readers might be too scared off to make mention of their own volition.

Seriously though, with the attitudes of many authors, I'm surprised that readers still give them the time of day.
Edit: Case in point, this thread.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Of course I do. If anything, I'm the one asking all them to suggest things all the time. but of course I'm on scribblehub so some readers might be too scared off to make mention of their own volition.

Seriously though, with the attitudes of many authors, I'm surprised that readers still give them the time of day.
Edit: Case in point, this thread.
Maybe it's just me but I write for the story, not for my readers. I have a view and I want to accomplish it. I feel like asking for suggestions for story like a novel isn't going to work.

Maybe in short stories but lengthy works if they stick it's because they want to enjoy the ride. Not to direct it.

Just because someone doesn't listen to their readers when it comes to story direction does not mean they have an attitude.

For me writing is an art and you can castrate it real easy if you just follow the flow. Like if a character is going to die well he or she is dead and will be dead.

It's life we can't control out comes. And in this case it's that stories life. :blob_aww:

bigbear51

Just because someone doesn't listen to their readers when it comes to story direction does not mean they have an attitude.
Yeah, I'm going to have a hard time believing that from this crowd judging from the responses, yours included.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Yeah, I'm going to have a hard time believing that from this crowd judging from the responses, yours included.
Honestly speaking, my readers are absolutely awesome and shower me with good ideas all the time. On SH, Discord or other sites.

bigbear51

Honestly speaking, my readers are absolutely awesome and shower me with good ideas all the time. On SH, Discord or other sites.
I would say the same about my readers. It's just frustrating to see the same things over and over from some authors of this site. They're just so bad at listening about anything. Even the way this thread is presented is insulting.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't recall anyone even giving me comments of that nature, so . . . no?

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
@bigbear51
I meant it more as the part you replied about story direction. My plot is pretty much fixed already and planned out. So while suggestions are welcome I will not follow them if it means changing the plot in a different direction. Unless they point to me a glaring hole I've missed which would be too obvious if I continue.
Small ideas quite often help me think of new scenes, or I incorporate them into the story entirely. But I still use my own judgment first because I simply know the setting a tiny bit better.

D

Deleted member 45782

Maybe in short stories but lengthy works if they stick it's because they want to enjoy the ride. Not to direct it.

For me writing is an art and you can castrate it real easy if you just follow the flow. Like if a character is going to die well he or she is dead and will be dead.

It's life we can't control out comes. And in this case it's that stories life. :blob_aww:
Kitty, they probably meant some authors. If you been here long enough, sometimes you'll hear complains like why hasn't anyone liked my story or how some reader comments completely turn them off from writing. Some comments from readers are constructive but it can be hard to sort out the really rude ones and the ones that mean but don't say in the nicest way and mixed in with the feeling of how proud one feels bout ones work only for the flaws to be pointed out to them. Some wish for more but some don't improve.

Authors don't have to take in everything every reader comments. Thu if they're asking for feedback or wondering their story hasn't progressed with more positive views after people already suggested them stuff, then eh. That's really up to them and how they wish to improve.