Do you smoke? If so, what gives? What made you do it?

You smoke?

• No

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • A stick every once in a while

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Daily occurrence

• A literal locomotive steam engine

• I've quit

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Just a question for those who whips out those Lucky Strikes. What made you start smoking?

Is it the cool factor?

Does it remind you of someone?

Is it an obligation to do it?

Caught up in the whiplash that is Life™ and the habit simply came along?

It's simply something to keep you busy?

And how about that health risk? You ever think about it? Or is it a "let live" type shit; enjoy-life-and-shut-up-about-it-kind of deal?

Personally, I'm not touching that shit. I'm a paranoid guy, with a few zeroes short in my bank account keeping me from building a fallout shelter and buying a shotgun. I'd do better with one less risk to my longevity in my mind. And yes, that accounts to vaping as well. Just the pure association of "alternative to smoking" turns me away from it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Just a question for those who whips out those Lucky Strikes. What made you start smoking?

Is it the cool factor?

And how about that health risk? You ever think about it? Or is it a "let live" type shit; enjoy-life-and-shut-up-about-it-kind of deal?

Personally, I'm not touching that shit. I'm a paranoid guy, with a few zeroes short in my bank account keeping me from building a fallout shelter and buying a shotgun. I'd do better with one less risk to my longevity in my mind. And yes, that accounts to vaping as well. Just the pure association of "alternative to smoking" turns me away from it.
I dont smoke. I get baked. Why? Cuz its fucking amazing and everyone should do it.

And there are so many different strains of weed with so many different effects that you can solve any problem with the right strain.

Sad? Light a doobie. Worried? Doobie. Cant focus? Doobie. In pain? Guess what, light a doobie.

My buddy once got his finger blown off playing with firecrackers. I gave that fucker a hit of my blunt and he didnt feel anything for hours. Got that finger fixed up good and asked for another hit just a few days later. Long time user now.

As for cigarettes, those are just toasted trash. A pale imitation of weed. Nicotine...pfft. THC is the way to go.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I get second and third hand smoke everyday. So no, I don't need to buy my own smoke. The perks of being someone shameless enough to cling in relatives' house I guess.
Also, while I would play with a toothpick and smoke for the cool factor, I tried one and had an asthma attack when I was fifteen, so not as cool as I want to be lol.
The nickname of wheezer boy and deflator sticks with me till date.

TachimeSan

It relaxes me whenever work or school becomes too much. I've smoked less and less though since switching to vaping.

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
I did once tried out vape, but it just bugs me even more. I think it would be worse if I handle literal cigarettes, I don't think I would be able to handle it.

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
not a smoker or have ever smoked but (spoken like a redditor)
this applies only to some people

but people smoke cause they are already depressed and life doesn't seem to be going to get any better . " Why even bother . I am going to die but i can't see myself really caring about that. Why even live i just can't care. I don't really enjoy life and smoking also doesn't make me happy but it's a habbit . What i am going to do in life anyway it's just not fun and hasn't been fun for a long time . (this is optional)i am never going to get {something}"
It's more of a habbit . It's like opening youtube or scribblehub you do it invoulantry and your brain doesn't think (Try one thing hide youtube icon in phone or move it to some place else . sometimes it will happen that you will automatically click on that place and think why did i click)

Lot of people are depressed and don't really enjoy it but can't bring themselves to care about there life enough to stop.
This usually comes with the package of shit life and parents.

this was just an example my sample size is very very very limited .

Doesn't apply to vaping . people vape cause they think it's harmless and fun(idk if it is . It probably is)

Last edited:

Arkus86

not a smoker or have ever smoked but (spoken like a redditor)
this applies only to some people

but people smoke cause they are already depressed and life doesn't seem to be going to get any better . " Why even bother . I am going to die but i can't see myself really caring about that. Why even live i just can't care. I don't really enjoy life and smoking also doesn't make me happy but it's a habbit . What i am going to do in life anyway it's just not fun and hasn't been fun for a long time . (this is optional)i am never going to get {something}"
It's more of a habbit . It's like opening youtube or scribblehub you do it invoulantry and your brain doesn't think (Try one thing hide youtube icon in phone or move it to some place else . sometimes it will happen that you will automatically click on that place and think why did i click)

Lot of people are depressed and don't really enjoy it but can't bring themselves to care about there life enough to stop.
This usually comes with the package of shit life and parents.

this was just an example my sample size is very very very limited .

Doesn't apply to vaping . people vape cause they think it's harmless and fun(idk if it is . It probably is)
Every smoker I ever knew smoked either because it was the norm in their social group (peer perssure), or because they were already addicted and did not care enough/were unable to overcome the withdrawal and stop.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
rarely.

I prefer alcohols (beers and whiskey) and coffee.

Can't drink them for now, but i'll came back after this 6 months of recovery

lilGoat

I've quit recently, during first quarantine actually, 'cause I needed the money after losing my work term position since the industry shut down.
In my homecountry although it's supposed to be restricted it's very easy to get your hands on some smokes underage, and it's also more prevalent in the culture than what I've seen in North America at least.
I started when I was a preteen, because I was depressed and I was abusing alcohol and other terrible street drugs and people in my vicinity smoked.
It was definitely one of my worst addictions, I could smoke up to 40 cigs a day, which is about two packets.
I used to joke I'm trying to quit breathing.

I'm in a better place, and after immigrating and starting college I can finally see some prospects to my future, so I guess that's why this time around I was actually able to quit? Although, always have some issues with substance abuse, need to keep vigilant.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off

Is it the cool factor?

I started smoking when I was 14 and continue until I quit when I was 22 on New Years Eve. I smoked 5 packs of Pall Mall 100's all in one day that New Years Eve that I quit so that I'd theoretically be absolutely sick of it and then I quit cold turkey and haven't smoked or even thought of smoking since.

My usual was half-a-pack a day though. The 5 thing was just for that one day I quit.

For me, I've always hung out with people older than me. Never felt "right" with people my age. I just never had much in common with my classmates or othery age, so most of my friends growing up were on average, 4-5 years older than me. Apparently I acted older than I was well enough that I fit in and no one thought it was strange. So I started smoking earlier. Also, my neighborhood cornerstores had no problem selling tobacco or liquor to underage people as long as you paid them a few dollars extra than the normal price so they could pocket it for themselves. Kinda something like a bribe but more normalized. I can remember being drunk as hell at 15 in my school's rooftop during class hours. Common occurrence.

Rooftop scenes weren't just confined to anime for me.

I liked smoking. I like the cold menthol breeze in my chest. I don't believe I was ever addicted. I mean I quit cold turkey and have never had any cravings. So idk. Though I imagine one of the likely reasons it was so easy to quit is that most of the friends I used to smoke with growing up are all gone. 3 are dead. 2 are imprisoned for lengthy prison sentences in which they'll be elderly before they are freed. One completely vanished without a trace and is still missing. No body. The last has been a vegetable in a bed in a rest home for nearly 10 years now. I don't know why the family won't pull the plug so to speak because he's not really there anymore. Just a empty shell breathing by pure instinct.

Smoking was a thing we did and now that they are gone, I guess I don't do it anymore.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My husband used to smoke, but he quit before we got married. He had a brief relapse this year from stress, bummed a cigarette from a coworker, and went right back into the habit, but then I got pregnant, so he got a vape ASAP and quit again. He gets really pissed at the anti-vape stuff and the legislation trying to ban flavors because the vape is the only thing that worked for him when it came to quitting. He tried to quit with patches, gum, you name it, but the vape is finally what worked.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
Let me take a potshot: your waifu is Revy from Black Lagoon.
Nope. Dere is no waifu concept for me while me use dat word sometimes tho. Also me still no watched Black Lagoon cuz too lazy.

Just one day me saw a random art witha smoking anime girl and kinda...got addicted? Maybe sorta.
Aand me just love to blow off some smoke no sure bout da reason. Guess dats part of ma fetish.

As for health issues...me got too many already so adding an extra one wont really do any weather.

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
Damm i only thought my life was intresting. Turns out this is way more common than i thought .
I once convinced a depressed drug peadlar to quit and get help and anti depressants.
I did through discord and was 15 then.

The argument i remember is .

Drugs are not working. You are still not feeling that much pleasure cause of depression. You enjoy music but can't even enjoy that fully. You would probably be dead in 4-5 years. If you are already doing drugs you should also try anti depressants cause well they can't really be worse than drugs.
They probably have more chance of providing happiness and pleasure anyway.

Wouldn't it be kind of sad that you lived your life without experiencing true joy and then you just died.
You enjoy music right.

I don't remember what i said but it was probably good. Oh also empathy and bitching about school and system together.
Oh also he said that no one will care if i died so i said "i would probably be sad for a few days if you died"

Can't believe it worked.

smoking probably is a symptom of shit parents and friends and very less hope of success in life

I thought chance of people abusing additive stuff was 1 in 100 but after seeing this i think only one in 1 in 10. i can't believe i was able to convince him.

Boosted my confidence a lot. Probably my plot armour

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45556

I don't smoke. And I don't plan starting.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the results of the poll so far!

thedude3445

Smoking, no matter what the substance, is really gross, smells horrible, and gets on all your clothes for ages. Just going to clubs on one night for a few hours I've had my clothes be drenched in tobacco stench that took two washes to get out. There's just so many other ways to relax that don't involve ruining your sense of smell (and that's ignoring all the money and cancer and stuff).

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Smoking, no matter what the substance, is really gross, smells horrible, and gets on all your clothes for ages. Just going to clubs on one night for a few hours I've had my clothes be drenched in tobacco stench that took two washes to get out. There's just so many other ways to relax that don't involve ruining your sense of smell (and that's ignoring all the money and cancer and stuff).
Well, that's what I'm asking. What made these guys do it DESPITE these things.