Do you start at the end of a novel before reading?

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
When you pick up a story that is finished, do you go and read the ending first? To know if you even want to read it? Or is it a kinda self-spoiling fetish? Is this a valid option or thing people do? Or are the numbers lying? The numbers... MASON THE FUCKING NUMBERS!

Here is why I got curious. My finished book's last chapter has almost double the views of the previous 3 which is simply... baffling as it is too big of a difference if I go by continuity. :blob_hmm: THE NUMBERS MASON, WHAT DO THEY MEAN?!

Traineye

I usually start reading at the beginning, maybe your chapter title was just that enticing?

Edit: nvm just read TrashyHuman’s reply probably just that (then again who doesn’t just click on the novel and read the synopsis?)

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Could also be people dropping the book halfway and checking how it turns out.
Haven't read the thing, so this is a general statement, but I've come across plenty of long running series that put off the things I read for once too many.

LilRora

Mostly formless
It's also possible people are refreshing the page to check if there is any new chapter. I think it counts that as another view, I had that happen in my story, where I stopped posting for a few months at chapter 46 and it now has almost three times the views of the previous chapter.

Aaqil

Cookies!
It's also possible people are refreshing the page to check if there is any new chapter. I think it counts that as another view, I had that happen in my story, where I stopped posting for a few months at chapter 46 and it now has almost three times the views of the previous chapter.
Fascinating, :blob_hmm: :blob_cookie:

J_Chemist

If it's a physical book, I'll flip through to a random page and see how it is. If it's good then I'll read it
I too am like this. I read the prologue, jump to a random part of the book and read a page or two. If I find myself still staring and flipping along, I generally snap myself out of the trance and keep the book.

Gotta catch myself though. I do remember reading a third of a book in the store from some random midpoint once. My missus at the time left me to read and came back to find me still standing there.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Definitely this. Had the same thing happen. 800 views instead of the 2-300 on the nearby chapters.
However, it's also be due to comment spam. Each time someone leaves a comment, anyone who gets notified about that comment will come to see what it's about, and maybe leave a new comment as well.
See how you have 26 comments on that chapter, but 5 on the others?
Each comment creates 2 to 10 views, with more for every person who gets a notification.

Lastly, people might just be rereading parts of it. Finales tend to be longer and have more interesting things, so it's a good place for people to get hung up on something and go back to figure out something they missed.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's a thing people do. I'm not one of those people, but I've heard of it before.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
What kind of monster does start with the last chapter?!?

OP1000

I really do not see the point of reading the last chapter before I even start reading a book. If I wanted to know the ending of a story without even reading it in its entirety, then I would only do so if the story has lost most of its appeal for me after I have read a few chapters of the story(which I would not do often).

proxybaba

I do,
I usually scan the completed novel's last chapter, mostly the last paragraphs to check for cliffhangers and open endings. Mostly because authors tend to create series and I don't like to wait for the next book.

ps- if it is mentioned that a book is in a series then that's a different story

pps - I really hate open endings

Missivist

Sometimes I look at the last chapter, if only to confirm that the author has not just abandoned it or cut it off after they painted themselves into a corner and the storyline was lost beyond salvation.