Do you think Scribblehub should ban ai generated novels?

Unturned_Leafs

Ai art has taken over places such as devianart and other sites have chosen too regulate ai art or outright ban it, with Novelai becoming such a big trend do you believe that future novels which are generated with the use of sites such as Novelai should be banned or should they just be marked as being written by ai?

D

Deleted member 54065

Ai art has taken over places such as devianart and other sites have chosen too regulate ai art or outright ban it, with Novelai becoming such a big trend do you believe that future novels which are generated with the use of sites such as Novelai should be banned or should they just be marked as being written by ai?
Nope. But SH should create a tag for it.

History has shown that banning stuff is counter-productive, and a waste of resources. It will only lead for the AI-generated novels to become even more famous/popular. Besides, the problem with AI is not the program itself, but those who are behind the creations who act as if they themselves made the best thing there is (like those Twitter soy boys getting cocky and teaching actual illustrators).

Last edited by a moderator:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
As someone who spent years browsing DeviantArt, I'll say that the flood of AI generated art there has caused me to abandon it.

I love AI art, but it kills me every time I see a thumbnail and go to click it, only to realize it was AI generated. I've tried filtering out all of the AI tags, but most people don't use tags anyways. I've wasted a lot of time on DA just trying to figure out if an image was stolen and reposted on someone else's account, and now I waste even more time trying to figure out if it was made by a human or just a really lucky AI result.

I don't even really know why it bugs me so much... But I'd prefer that AI generated stuff and human made stuff are entirely separate. 🙃 I'd literally rather browse through NightCafe's results (100% AI Generated) than sift through DeviantArt's stuff looking past all of AI generated results that I would have happily liked on NightCafe.

Though I will say, SH has a significantly better setup than DA. It might work out just fine with release filtering and tag muting.

Scheherazade

Ban, definitely not. Require tag currently, absolutely yes. Those who have a problem with them in terms of quality, your input is exactly what will result in stories indistinguishable from human-created in the future. There's no stopping it, only helping it in its early stages.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Like many others, I am against banning it, but fully in support of tagging it.

Some stuff from AI is quite good, while other things are crap. But it is best to have people decide if it is acceptable or not, rather than ban it outright. If it is bad enough, people will not read it, or will even report it depending on content, while the good ones will keep those who find them, eventually becoming more popular and leading others to consider them.

Similarly, AI art can be very good at times, and I highly recommend it, though one should put some effort into it to get a good result. The cover for my story was from NightCafe's AI art generator, though it took several days to get high enough quality to share it. I assume AI writing will be similar, requiring multiple attempts and refining the output to get a solid end result.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
No.

AI still needs to improve a lot before it can generate quality writing. However, when it gets there, I would like to use it to complete my story. I'll still be editing and guiding the AI along the way because I still have a vision I'd like to express. I'd mainly like to use it in places where I get stuck.

In essence, AI is simply a tool to help humans express their vision. Humans still decide which outputs to display and can edit things to suit the message they want to convey.

I wouldn't say that a warning is called for, but an "oil on canvas" type of description would help the community understand the creative process that went into it. There will always be snobs who refuse to give AI art/writing the time of day, of course.

MajorKerina

Absolutely not. Things should be credited but it always takes a human impetus because there’s the addition of tags and lore and direction of the composition. It would be like banning particular word processing software. Honestly, much of it is far better than some things posted. I would rather see AI constructive narratives. It’s just another tool.

Zakuro

Crushed Pomegranate

Using deep learning to generate texts.
You guys want to ban this?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Nope. But SH should create a tag for it.

History has shown that banning stuff is counter-productive, and a waste of resources. It will only lead for the AI-generated novels to become even more famous/popular. Besides, the problem with AI is not the program itself, but those who are behind the creations who act as if they themselves made the best thing there is (like those Twitter soy boys getting cocky and teaching actual illustrators).
I've always imagined a potential AI ban to be followed by the advent of bootleggers smuggling AI works in the black market.

"Hey sonny, want summa those computer written books? Not even dear ol' Scott Fitzgerald made em' this interesting."

Maldon

How would you even distinguish between an AI story and a human written one? it's all just text at the end of the day. Would banning those stories even be enforceable?

As other have said, it's better to put a new content warning and tags