Do you think Scribblehub should ban ai generated novels?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If we were to ban AI novels we should also ban template novels like cultuvation and isekai.

At least AI can be fun to read

CubicleHermit

I managed to get ChatGPT to put together a not-horrible YA short story. I wish I had access to one of the plagiarism detectors that schools use these days, to find out how much of it was literally pulled out of other people's writing.

Efthicia

AI writing can't be banned, it's useless since others would just find a way to smuggle it or something, it might even become more popular than human-written ones after all people have this strange excitement about infringing taboos. It was really strange. Regulations and the use of tags is good enough, of course, although it can't be banned it can't also be overly promoted. Novels and literature might be made and read for the sake of enjoyment but it was also skilled work and a form of expression. Most AIs rely on recorded data and lack the expressiveness of humans, it also doesn't suddenly make one a good writer. For writer's block, it was only a remedy, not a cure, one shouldn't rely on it. I suggest that SH should have something like a novel inspection officer or a plagiarism checker program added so that it could at least protect the integrity of the work. A clear division between AI and human-written novels should be made. At least the readers have a choice.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I don't understand why everyone is saying a ban would cause it to become some underground sensation with smuggling and shady dealers... It's funny as a joke, but it's not something you should take seriously.

They'd just make a site dedicated to it. Don't needlessly overcomplicate things.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Scribblehub is great in that it allows you get publicity through the newly listed and newly updated sections on the front page. If I was still actively posting, I’m sure I’d get a pretty sour feeling from having a chapter I spent potentially hours working on get bumped into the abyss by a story that took very little human input and even less time to create.

Disney99

Ai art has taken over places such as devianart and other sites have chosen too regulate ai art or outright ban it, with Novelai becoming such a big trend do you believe that future novels which are generated with the use of sites such as Novelai should be banned or should they just be marked as being written by ai?
I think AI writes better than half the guys on this platform so...

ThanksALot

I think AI writes better than half the guys on this platform so...

I wouldn't be here if I didn't like reading and writing 'trash' lol

Probably need to tag it.
AI text does trigger plagiarism checks and stuff especially if you use it to write articles lol (Which is ironic cause the check is AI too lol).

Nafew

Ai art has taken over places such as devianart and other sites have chosen too regulate ai art or outright ban it, with Novelai becoming such a big trend do you believe that future novels which are generated with the use of sites such as Novelai should be banned or should they just be marked as being written by ai?
A Content warning should be enough IMO

Arkus86

I agree with the majority here, a tag or genre so you can filter it out, but banning it is largely pointless.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Scribblehub is great in that it allows you get publicity through the newly listed and newly updated sections on the front page. If I was still actively posting, I’m sure I’d get a pretty sour feeling from having a chapter I spent potentially hours working on get bumped into the abyss by a story that took very little human input and even less time to create.
I wanted to equate this to the writers of old that pump out trashy 500 word chapters in an hour and drowning out the aforementioned writers that spend hours honing their craft, but then I realize that would just happen on another stage.

Despite the popular narrative, AI art isn't as easy as "feed prompt and out comes masterpiece". It's usually trained and filtered through who knows how many examples and models to put out the big titty euro chick you see blasted on Twitter. Some of them are edited by hand to fix the niches before being put out. It's like the Library of Babel; unless you know the catalogue and it's structure, you're just gonna keep getting 6 legged fat thigh'd abominations.

IF we introduce AI works into the site, we're just gonna have another field where we'd have AI novels that the creator uses more as a template to sharpen the results or even transform it into something else, or 16 AI novels credited to one guy who does nothing but shove in the previous chapter and hit "generate". There's no objective measure for this, but you will see a clear divide of quality between the two possible camps.

It'll probably be two years down the line before some AI forum gets a thread with the title: Is it considered AI generated if the results are tampered?

D

Deleted member 122296

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/729507/station-breeder-athena/

I've been actively exploring AI-assisted writing using a frontend webui interface in conjunction with the GPT-4 API. It's different from ChatGPT because this approach allows for a dynamic collaboration between me and the AI, with continuous adjustments to the prompts and interactions. In addition to incorporating previous chat history, the frontend app also includes a customized description, a context-providing "lore book" similar to Novel AI, and specific prompt instructions to guide the AI in terms of rules, logic, and style.

By leveraging this system, I can produce around 50,000 words per day, or even more if I forgo editing. It's worth noting that it takes considerable time and effort to fine-tune the various settings, and on occasion, I've had to recalibrate the system after making unintended changes. Nevertheless, I find this method of writing to be incredibly engaging and enjoyable, particularly since my writing background primarily consists of role-playing with others.

Premier

I'd say yes, if only because AI stuff tends to flood sites once it's accepted, and it's not fair for just a few people to drown out all the other authors.

D

Deleted member 122296

I'd say yes, if only because AI stuff tends to flood sites once it's accepted, and it's not fair for just a few people to drown out all the other authors.
Do you know how to determine if a story was AI generated or not, if it isn't disclosed? Especially if the author takes some time to edit and adjust the text making AI detection of the AI generation impossible?

KrakenRiderEmma

Curious which sites are being flooded? The free sites I pay attention to have either banned AI work, or accept it (like Scribble Hub does) and have a small amount being posted. Some of the AI content that’s posted is very low-effort “write a prompt and post what the AI spits out” and tends to be ignored. Other stuff is half-written, or edited, by a human being and as was just mentioned, can be hard to distinguish from everything else if the authors don’t disclose. I started posting AI-generated series here three months ago (all of them linked below) and disclosed all of it, and most of the words in these stories are written by me. Still, the floodgates don’t seem to have opened?

There are commercial venues, like Amazon and Clarkesworld, that HAVE gotten flooded with really low-effort five-minute AI fiction, but that seems to be from a bunch of “grindset passive income hustlers” telling people to submit to Clarkesworld (since they pay for short stories) and shovel stuff onto Amazon into order to make a quick buck. I don’t think it really works… well, maybe on Amazon. There’s a bunch of AI-generated stuff filling up the bottom of the Kindle & Audible stores now, with one-star ratings. But someone buys it to give it one-star, I guess? Good job making dozens of dollars by writing a prompt?

Last edited:

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Do you know how to determine if a story was AI generated or not, if it isn't disclosed? Especially if the author takes some time to edit and adjust the text making AI detection of the AI generation impossible?
While I don't think there should be a ban, rather a tag would be helpful.

But just to point out, there are websites that can determine if something is A.i. Gen.

Secondly, any substantial volume of text of a.i. Generated work becomes obvious, due to the monotonousness of linguistic patterns.

It could be edited, so it does not appear a.i. writen and add more stylistic voice to work but if edited to that point, it's nolonger considered a.i. imo.

Here is an idea. Instead, of a tag saying it's a.i. assisted. There should be an tag saying. "Without a.i. assistance".

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
While I don't think there should be a ban, rather a tag would be helpful.

But just to point out, there are websites that can determine if something is A.i. Gen.

Secondly, any substantial volume of text of a.i. Generated work becomes obvious, due to the monotonousness of linguistic patterns.

It could be edited, so it does not appear a.i. writen and add more stylistic voice to work but if edited to that point, it's nolonger considered a.i. imo.

Here is an idea. Instead, of a tag saying it's a.i. assisted. There should be an tag saying. "Without a.i. assistance".
Tags are added by authors, not by readers. This doesn't work.

Also, tags should only show what is on your story, not what isn't there.

An exclusive tag would only make sense in a situation where the default thing that everybody assumes you're writing has [Thing] then an exclusive tag could make sense... And even then, it could probably be reworded to feel like a tag that says something that the story has instead of something that the story doesn't have.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Tags are added by authors, not by readers. This doesn't work.

Also, tags should only show what is on your story, not what isn't there.

An exclusive tag would only make sense in a situation where the default thing that everybody assumes you're writing has [Thing] then an exclusive tag could make sense... And even then, it could probably be reworded to feel like a tag that says something that the story has instead of something that the story doesn't have.
I was imagining a world where fully human written story would become a rarity in a horrific dystopia future kinda way, where most people can't string a conlherent narrative together without an a.i. on their shoulder.

Premier

Curious which sites are being flooded? The free sites I pay attention to have either banned AI work, or accept it (like Scribble Hub does) and have a small amount being posted.
I was more thinking of image boards. AI writing isn’t as good yet, but it’ll get there.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/729507/station-breeder-athena/

I've been actively exploring AI-assisted writing using a frontend webui interface in conjunction with the GPT-4 API. It's different from ChatGPT because this approach allows for a dynamic collaboration between me and the AI, with continuous adjustments to the prompts and interactions. In addition to incorporating previous chat history, the frontend app also includes a customized description, a context-providing "lore book" similar to Novel AI, and specific prompt instructions to guide the AI in terms of rules, logic, and style.

By leveraging this system, I can produce around 50,000 words per day, or even more if I forgo editing. It's worth noting that it takes considerable time and effort to fine-tune the various settings, and on occasion, I've had to recalibrate the system after making unintended changes. Nevertheless, I find this method of writing to be incredibly engaging and enjoyable, particularly since my writing background primarily consists of role-playing with others.
>creates an ai-assisted writing application
>writes smut

1681354738745.png