Do you update your chapters very often?

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
So, I update the chapters on my novels sporadically and i write them down once i get the creative juices flowing. Is it bad if you don't update your novels regularly?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, I update the chapters on my novels sporadically and i write them down once i get the creative juices flowing. Is it bad if you don't update your novels regularly?
Dude I have been ON A ROLL with chapters lately. A chapter a day. But only for one story, and in neglecting my others.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
It might be bad. It doesn't seem quite as bad when you are well into the story. At that point you have established some commitment. I am very inconsistent when it comes to finishing chapters lately. One reason is because I have some subplots and important points to tie together. I go over a chapter a dozen times or more to make sure it is consistent with the main plot, typical grammar/sentence structure checks, etc. etc. I work on them almost daily, but it is sometimes out of order so it can take a while to upload.
And yeah, sometimes stuff in real life just makes me too tired to work on it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm on maternity leave from my main story, but I add a Lewd Parody to my Lewd Poem collection whenever something pops into my head.
See link in signature for details!

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
For my current story, I am posting 4 chapters a week, but that is because I already have my second book completed. For my second one, I will be uploading once a week until I finish the third book.~:blob_aww:
I treat my books like novels, once completed I upload them. That way I don't feel hurried or like I am neglecting anyone. Though... my friend that reads them before anyone else can tell you otherwise. I neglect the crap out of him. xD But he is willing. :blobrofl:

EternalSunset0

I finish entire volumes before posting, so no.

However, I immediately update typos, bad word choice, clunky sentence structures, and such when someone gets to point it out.

JK-Sama

I post new chapters once a week on Friday or my extended weekend deadlines, and sometimes I miss even those and have to release them on the next weekday. Back then, I used to post chapters as soon as I finished them which meant every 3-4 days, but I started to slow down since it was proving unsustainable.

Edit: it's not necessarily bad, but readers do like consistency. There's nothing more burning to the readers than you going on permanent hiatus/dropping the story and starting up several new ones over time.

Derin_Edala

Whether it's bad depends on what your goals are. If you just want to get a fun story written, your schedule doesn't matter (so long as it works for you to actually complete it). If you want a large audience that's going to keep reading, then when it comes to free serial projects like webcomics and webnovels, update consistency is the #1 most important factor. A basically tolerable story that updates like clockwork for a few years will do far better than an amazing story that updates at random and/or goes on unwarned or unplanned hiatuses.

But that only matters if you're trying to maximise your readership. If you're not, it doesn't matter. And there are exceptions to every rule -- look how popular Homestuck was.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I do if I have a backlog of chapters to take advantage of posting on the regular basis, which I've done for one story and and try to do for another story.

Kitsura

Eh I'm uploading daily but mostly because I'm a degen who writes fast but only when I have motivation. I can shuck out a 1k chapter in a little over an hour.

ZesshiLavi

Nope haha, I write a lot when I have nothing to do, but I don't write at all when something distracts me like a really good anime/manga or game.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I could post every week with my output, but that'll ruin readability.

H0LL0W

I update daily. I just write the entire volume, post it, and then work on the book after it in between. If I have issues with that, I just post the extra side chapters, official art, or I switch to four times a week updates.