Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Too lazy

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Since when did we have this?!

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I've been using the glossary function for my novel Undaunted Daughter: Song Gwakkot, since the beginning few chapters of my story, but I realized that not many authors have used it. I thought that maybe people just didn't know it existed, which seemed possible since some people on the sight actually have chapters in their stories such as character introductions or forewords instead of the glossary, which seemed entirely unnecessary because of the glossary function.

If you weren't aware. The glossary function is an section of the story right next to it's details where an author can input separate listed information such as characters, locations, items, or other things to be mentioned without these lines of text being mentioned as a separate chapter in the story.

I use this function to go in depth about the names of all my main characters, because the meanings of the names play a large part in the story as well as the foreshadowing of the story.

Do you guys use this function?

Kotohood

Noob Author
One day maybe.

There is also the decision to either use the glossary to supplement world building or using the glossary for readers to remember certains things about the story that they can't remember.

Personally, I'll do it if someone ask me to I guess.

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
I do. In fact, I quite love the glossary.
I add things people might not always remember, or sometimes even add worldbuilding related things that are kind of unimportant to the actual story itself. If someone is interested in it, they can check it.
As someone who loves to do worldbuilding, it's quite a great tool for all the things that won't appear in the actual story. Assuming they can be added already.

Although in terms of characters there's the problem of how up-to-date you want to keep it... Since some things might be quite spoiler-heavy, which is why I added a warning at the top of the glossary. It's better they caught up with the story. Unless you keep the descriptions really simple, of course.

Whether people actually read up on the glossary though... Good question. I don't know.
Which reminds me, I should probably update it soon.

mrsimple

Writer
I've been wondering if it is possible to use the glossary to hyperlink someone to another page and create a more indepth interactive story. I'd like to experiment with that at some point in time.

hueyhare

I use it on mine. I don't know if anyone looks at it, but I find it's helpful to hold things like character, location, and race descriptions.

I've been wondering if it is possible to use the glossary to hyperlink someone to another page and create a more indepth interactive story. I'd like to experiment with that at some point in time.

mrsimple, it looks like links aren't supported in the glossary, so I don't thing that would work. It would be cool though.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I'm using it on one of my novels since there are a lot of characters that sometimes don't turn up for several hundred chapters and since I'm only uploading once a day right now, I wanted to give people the chance to look that kind of thing up. I only added things there at the start though and am not up-to-date. I guess I should go and do another round of making entries ...

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I have put a character sheet there, but I guess nobody is looking at it :blob_sweat:

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I do. In fact, I quite love the glossary.
I add things people might not always remember, or sometimes even add worldbuilding related things that are kind of unimportant to the actual story itself. If someone is interested in it, they can check it.
As someone who loves to do worldbuilding, it's quite a great tool for all the things that won't appear in the actual story. Assuming they can be added already.

Although in terms of characters there's the problem of how up-to-date you want to keep it... Since some things might be quite spoiler-heavy, which is why I added a warning at the top of the glossary. It's better they caught up with the story. Unless you keep the descriptions really simple, of course.

Whether people actually read up on the glossary though... Good question. I don't know.
Which reminds me, I should probably update it soon.
I use it on mine. I don't know if anyone looks at it, but I find it's helpful to hold things like character, location, and race descriptions.

mrsimple, it looks like links aren't supported in the glossary, so I don't thing that would work. It would be cool though.
I'm using it on one of my novels since there are a lot of characters that sometimes don't turn up for several hundred chapters and since I'm only uploading once a day right now, I wanted to give people the chance to look that kind of thing up. I only added things there at the start though and am not up-to-date. I guess I should go and do another round of making entries ...
I have put a character sheet there, but I guess nobody is looking at it :blob_sweat:

I guess now the question is whether the readers actually read our glossaries :sweating_profusely:

Wintertime

King of Nothing
I do it for myself, so I don't forget important tidbits about certain characters/locations. I don't know if people actually look at it, though.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I do it for myself, so I don't forget important tidbits about certain characters/locations. I don't know if people actually look at it, though.
I never thought of that before! That's pretty clever, I usually keep all of my story notes on a google doc, and then copy and paste them over onto my glossary.

Nihilaine

I do so heavily since I don't want to info dump so much. Also, one method I use is to make some informatics images & link it to the chapter sort of like this,

"He's a pyromancer of the violet tier."

I think most people wouldn't bother going the glossary so I use this method instead so its just one click away & the readers could easily backspace back to reading.

Ninetailed_Furball

I have a locally made one for myself. It's full of spoilers, so I don't dare put it somewhere public though.

That's also the reason why I don't use the built in glossary. It's especially bad since I go through a decent amount of work to name and describe characters that I have no plans on making future appearances for the sake of worldbuilding. Sometimes they become more important later, but the point is that it's almost impossible to tell for the most part.

If I put any of those characters into the glossary, then it'll be a blatant tipoff that this character made to look as minor as all these others that I introduced isn't actually and hold deep secrets for future chapters.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I think it's too much work to update the glossary every chapter so I'll update it at the end of each volume. Also, to not spoil my readers I'll also not add any plot-related element into it.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
Yes, I love the glossary! It’s the main reason I decided to hang out here in the first place.