Does a Staggered Release Schedule Discourage You From Writing?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
So basically what the title says.

Publishing two or so chapters a week, I've noticed that if I'm sitting on what I am going to publish, I don't really feel the need to write. It's very much an attitude of "eh, I've got everything done for now."

Does that happen to anyone else?

EternalSunset0

Not for me. My stuff are written and completed beforehand, so I'm actually doing little to no writing on the actual site itself. I only do it in case of some sudden edits, which are often minor and often just have to do with fixing punctuation and tensing that I missed out while editing through the completed work beforehand.

D

Deleted member 29316

Like @EternalSunset0, my story is written and completed before I release it online. I just copy and paste my chapters from MS Word, format the chapter subdivisions, and schedule the release. For edits, I do it on the actual (MS Word) manuscript before I update the ones I already uploaded. I always make sure I'm ahead of one volume to the chapter released, so that I won't procrastinate (or if I did procrastinate, I still have time allowance to get myself back to writing).

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
You see, most of us like to live on the edge. With others, they stockpile chapters. They build a dam. They hold onto the water bubbling on the other side, letting it build before they reach a limit and let the water flow at a uniform pace. They get used to this set-up. They grow accustomed to their comfort, seeing as they shun away the Bad Times of content drought. Soon they don't see their comfort as a virtue but a norm. They start to get lazy. They see the build-up of the dam and think "damn, I'm alright for the next few weeks". They grow lazy, and soon they get into the monotony of simply letting the water flow instead of keeping that dam filled.

By the time the dam dries up, the reality hits. The norm of the Bad Times is long gone. Comfort had taken a toll on them, and as they struggle to fill the dam, they found themselves dejected, seeing as their past practices had driven them to an involuntary content drought.

Us? We brave the rivers. We, stupid men, brave the waters naked. We barely have a log on the end of the waterfall to keep the dam up. Some of us don't even have a log. We run the dry stretch from one lake to another by the skin of our teeth with nothing but the vitality that'll hopefully carry us to the next release schedule. To us, every day is Bad Times, but that is only for namesake. It is our lifeblood; the thing that keeps us alive. Sitting on content for us is like being a caveman in a ball. Comfort is alien; even hostile to us. Bad Times aren't bad times, they're the daily grind. The daily bread. The daily hustle. Stockpiling is for the weak. Daily grinding is for men. Irregular updates are for kings.

The gods? We don't even write. We release 10 good chapters and let the readers starve over the PROMISE of more chapters to come, when the reality is that we'll keep up the farce for the next 6 months before eventually dropping the series and leaving the readers eternally blueballed.

ForestDweller

Publishing two or so chapters a week, I've noticed that if I'm sitting on what I am going to publish, I don't really feel the need to write. It's very much an attitude of "eh, I've got everything done for now."

Yep, that's me. That's why I stopped doing it. :blob_no:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It keeps me motivated to work ahead. I can't stand procrastinating on things.

TRNRLogan

It would require me actually convincing myself to write first.

Temple

Yep that's me too. Although now I'm editing earlier parts of the story + continuing release as scheduled so I found out I can have a higher output than I initially thought. In the future I'll try out making 1 more chapter for stockpile on top of the weekly one. I think my problem is that I change my mind a whole lot even if I'm in the middle of the writing so there's a large chance I'll just change stockpiled chapters anyway so I don't feel the urge to write them.

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
what's a release schedule? I just write until I pass out, then wake up and do it again. 90 chaps at 2-3 a day for 40 days? Easy~ Just 1.5 volumes to go~ Might finish by new years.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

If I go past a week without releasing a chapter I will be very hard pressed to get one out past that. May take a full month even. I get...like...I avoid it. I know I shouldnt but it becomes like a phobia almost at that point.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
I set a schedule of one thousand words per day, small things will become bigger when pile up. As for releasing, I reread my chapter before posting it, if I found any mistakes I'll correct it. It's actually hard for me to write English because I'm not native, though I love writing it. Just don't lose motivation 😁😁😁

MasterHiatus

I am back
Writing for me is like an assignment, I do it before deadlines.
And if I don''t write...I feel blessed :blobtaco::blob_teehee:

I write when I feel like writing... when I don't... I don't... schedules have never made me want to write more... conversely, if I have written ahead of my schedule it does not make me want to write less...

Last edited:
mood decides when i write, not schedules.

if i don't feel like it, i can just quit writing at any time and do something else that makes me happy.

the moment i started thinking of it as a job, and not a hobby, it's a cue to take a break--as long as it takes.