Does anyone else post a chapter and then keep refreshing the page every 2 minutes?

sage61

but why do readers find it hard to comment on a novel chapter but easier on a manga chapter :blob_hmm:
probably because we read the manga too fast so have more spare time to comment, i guess?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
but why do readers find it hard to comment on a novel chapter but easier on a manga chapter :blob_hmm:

Don’t know. For me it’s the contrary, I comment more on novel chapters than manga chapters, but I get the feeling that scribblehub readers are rather comment-shy. When nobody breaks the ice, the other’s won’t follow.

FableNet

Don’t know. For me it’s the contrary, I comment more on novel chapters than manga chapters, but I get the feeling that scribblehub readers are rather comment-shy. When nobody breaks the ice, the other’s won’t follow.
Lmaooooo this may be true XD I must be need to be thick skin and comment my self

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Lmaooooo this may be true XD I must be need to be thick skin and comment my self
I abuse the author‘s comment, that’s why my readers feel less intimidated (though it’s more effective on Wattpad than scribblehub)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress

Probably because your comment isn't likely to be seen by the creator if you comment on a manga chapter. You comment so that other fans can see and interact with you. Even on translated novels, you only expect to be seen by fans and the translator - who's technically a fan of the series too.

You get self-conscious if the person who made the thing is watching, though, because they take everything personally. Especially on Scribble Hub, where comments on a story are directed mostly towards the author rather than other fans, so everything you might usually say takes on a completely different meaning.
On a manga chapter, you could rant about how much you hate a particular character or don't like a certain development in the story. On Scribble Hub, that would be an attack on the author.
For manga, you can speculate with other fans about what's going to happen next and talk about the things you really hope don't happen. Here, that would sound like you were demanding that the author write the story the way you want them to.
You're basically stuck only ever saying 100% positive and simple things about the novel, or taking the risk to provide suggestions/feedback - which the author might get huffy about. Who can really be bothered commenting in those conditions?

You, as an author, can accidentally dissuade people from commenting too. Because you can see your readers' comments and your readers know that, you're really expected to interact with those comments.
Someone who leaves a comment - particularly a longer and well-crafted comment - really expects some sort of reply. If the author doesn't reply, they'll feel snubbed and you'll come across as someone who's cold and doesn't care about their readers. Since they feel like you'll just ignore whatever they say, they give up on writing comments. It can sour how they feel about the novel overall as well.
So if you're getting less and less comments as your novel goes along, it might be worth considering if it's your PR that's failing you.

Those are just my observations.

Ninetailed_Furball

Probably because your comment isn't likely to be seen by the creator if you comment on a manga chapter. You comment so that other fans can see and interact with you. Even on translated novels, you only expect to be seen by fans and the translator - who's technically a fan of the series too.

You get self-conscious if the person who made the thing is watching, though, because they take everything personally. Especially on Scribble Hub, where comments on a story are directed mostly towards the author rather than other fans, so everything you might usually say takes on a completely different meaning.
On a manga chapter, you could rant about how much you hate a particular character or don't like a certain development in the story. On Scribble Hub, that would be an attack on the author.
For manga, you can speculate with other fans about what's going to happen next and talk about the things you really hope don't happen. Here, that would sound like you were demanding that the author write the story the way you want them to.
You're basically stuck only ever saying 100% positive and simple things about the novel, or taking the risk to provide suggestions/feedback - which the author might get huffy about. Who can really be bothered commenting in those conditions?

You, as an author, can accidentally dissuade people from commenting too. Because you can see your readers' comments and your readers know that, you're really expected to interact with those comments.
Someone who leaves a comment - particularly a longer and well-crafted comment - really expects some sort of reply. If the author doesn't reply, they'll feel snubbed and you'll come across as someone who's cold and doesn't care about their readers. Since they feel like you'll just ignore whatever they say, they give up on writing comments. It can sour how they feel about the novel overall as well.
So if you're getting less and less comments as your novel goes along, it might be worth considering if it's your PR that's failing you.

Those are just my observations.
I kinda find it a bit sad that authors take criticism on their stories personally, as well as the fact that readers expect that as the norm. Criticism on a work is talking about the art itself, and there's an infinite number of places to criticize any work regardless of quality.

Generally there's a distinct difference between an attack on a work and an attack of an artist, and while it hurts to have your work being criticized, it's a chance to grow in distinct and tangible ways. I hate it how it's seen as otherwise.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I feel strongly about this, and embrace all the criticism that's laid out on my own work and encourage it whenever possible. Not everyone has thick skin like me, but I think that developing that thick skin is part of the journey of becoming a great artist.

More on topic, I've managed to shake off the habit of refreshing the view count constantly, but instead, I'm in the camp that keeps checking in on comments even when I should be working on the next chapter instead.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
I kinda accepted that my novels won't be popular and have already moved on.

I don't understand very well what your story is about from the synopsis. Maybe readers are just unsure about what they are going to read and pass it over.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Yeah. I check the viewcount continuously, but I feel like it doesn't update immediately so I end up just leaving it. Not only do I do that, but I also waste my time completely in other ways! Like I view my statistics page obsessively. I click on the recent readers profiles and creep around to see what else my readers like reading. I pray for comments and compulsively reply to every comment I get with the best possible response I can. I always have an Author's Notes/Comments section after each chapter for fun where I sometimes put a poll question hoping for more discussion.