Does anyone here knows a lot about swords?

yunano34a1

From sword techniques, what kind of swords/weapons that outbest another weapon, defensive strategies using certain swords or gripstyles, when to use punches and kicks after a slash or whatever... Anything you'd like to share! I'd like to know more since I barely know anything

P.S. No magic only straight on sword fighting

Last edited:

Daitengu

The youtube channels Skallagrim and Shadiversity would help you. There's more channels, but I think these two cover ALOT of info and dispelling myths, as well as fictional fantasy arms and armor.

To expand, Skallagrim studies European swords arts and is a part of a FEMA group. He likes to talk about practicality of fantasy weapons and what type of fighting style fits better. Like fencing would be a better fit for light sabers.

Shadiversity likes to talk about castles, armor, bows, and swords in their historical setting, for the most part. His vids on bow grip, arrow paradox, and shooting an arrow on the inside or outside of the bow were very interesting. His argument for leather armor in fantasy being a mistake and it actually should be brigantine armor is fun.

Last edited:

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
I highly recommend the youtube channel Shadiversity for all your martial needs. Shad'll help you out.

FashionableForestDweller

You probably want to look into HEMA. If you can find a place near you that runs classes that'd be even better, since you'd get first-hand experience and better be able to tell what would or wouldnt work in a fictional fight. I get the impression that's part of the reason Shad is into the topic too.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
From sword techniques, what kind of swords/weapons that outbest another weapon, defensive strategies using certain swords or gripstyles, when to use punches and kicks after a slash or whatever... Anything you'd like to share! I'd like to know more since I barely know anything

The general rule when it comes to melee regardless of weapon is

Determination >

Initiative >

Speed >

Technique

Technique is the least of your worries unless it is a duel environment. External factors and the mental constitution of the combatant are significantly more important, but even then melee remains a gamble.

Localforeigner

Bear in mind, with Shadversity, he isn't a Historian, Smith, or any sort of actual expert, just a history buff. That said, some of his stuff his good.

There are not really any particular 'best' weapon styles or forms. Most weapons were developed to deal with specific threats and are the result of their culture, environment, resource level, and the threats they faced. For example, as much as we love swords, for most of history, swords were the weapon of wealthy elites who were most often fighting under armored peasants. They were great at cutting through light armors and clothing, but versus heavier armor or even chain, it was better to reverse your grip and swing them like a hammer. Because, like weapons, armor developed to meet the threats that weapons posed. Maces and Hammers were the weapons of choice versus heavily armored knights, for example, despite all stories and movies to the contrary.

Really it all depends on your time period and cultural setting.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Ehh, just follow Jingyong's bs method that he used for his wuxia, no technique beats those with technique.
Long story short, adapt beats all forms and exploit your enemy's weaknesses in their sword style while keeping your own as muddled as possible (because unlike rigid fighting style where after a move you follow another, you decide to just make do and go another way).

What Bruce Lee said, before learning, a punch is a punch; during learning, a punch is not just a punch; after learning, a punch is still a punch.
Meaning everything is so straightforward yet you have no understanding of the actual technique, you think you know but you don't. Then you rigidly trying to conform yourself to what you learn and suddenly something so simple becomes complex due to you overthinking. Then when everything becomes natural; you practise so much that shit flows without much thought, it becomes simple once more.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state

yes balance on swords is important additionally the difference between a great sword and a bad one is

a bad one=to sharp an edge it will chip, too heavy makes it hard to swing with finesse, too light will fly out of hand or just break

a good one= is not to heavy nor light,not to sharp an edge but just enough.

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
Swords are pointy and do not make good huggers.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Swords are pointy and do not make good huggers.
Funny. Cuz Tite Kubo made a phrase like that in his early Bleach days.
"When I am holding you, I cannot protect you.
Now with my sword unsheathed, I cannot embrace you."

namio

Do you still need recommendations? Scholagladitoria does some work with antique weapons dealing and reviews a lot of weapons. He also expands to quite a number of cultures, which is ALWAYS welcome. I'm on my phone and can't look up my favorites, but when I get on my laptop I'll try to link some more folks I watch. Hope that's fine.

From what I see, you use a kick or a punch when it feels like a good (and safe) time to do it. You don't want to deck someone only to expose it to a good chop. I feel like it's actually not rare for a sword fight to go from the "more elegant" standing exchanges to just... ground fighting. Also, what outbests a sword is probably a longer range weapon, UNTIL the one with the sword bypasses it, probably. From what I gathered, if you ask someone in the HEMA community what's the best sword against another, they'll probably say the longer one LOL (or a staff. Or a polestaff.) There is a lot of dynamics... and not a small part of it relates to what defenses the other person has. Half-swording is a technique to ensure that a sword can pierce through mail for not insignificant damage, for example. War hammers were created to inflict damage through plate armor. Furthermore, it might be good to note as well that swords are often *sidearms*-- that is, they're secondary weapons, often used as last resort (in battles I presume). The main weapons are probably something longer reaching (probably spears). Of course, writing just swords because swords are cool and you're not in a battlefield setting is no problem (I'm writing a wuxia, I can't talk), but remembering the context that other weapons exist at equal if not greater importance will help a lot in expanding the dynamics of fight in your writing, I feel.

You can look up HEMA treatises or discussions on it; European might be a lot more reliable because Chinese martial arts has been mostly for acrobatic aesthetics since what, 19th century? As far I remember, some are uploaded in long articles online, but they do require some background knowledge to understand. I haven't checked this much, but you can try?

There are also a LOT of forums. Especially if you're not limiting yourself to Chinese martial arts, you're bound to find plenty of references. I sure can't find a swordfighting class in good ol' Southeast Asia 😂😂 Even better, there are also forums for weapon smiths. If you want to include more variety, lots of non-western fighting styles are also discussed in forums. I remember coming across discussions on Filipino martial arts (the name escapes me, I'm sorry). There's just a lot. But this post is already monstrous according to this forum's standards...

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Yes, Ai-chan learned kenjutsu. Ai-chan is more specialized on naginata, but Ai-chan did learn how to spar with a katana. No, not kendo. Kendo is for tournaments. Kenjutsu is the art of using swords to kill people. Many of the moves are similar, but with different aims.

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai

They suck, well I don’t like them that much.

LinMeili

Read Roger Zelazny's Amber series. The main character is a fencer/swordsman. (y)