Does anyone know if we can create fantasy journals here that aren't stories, but rather, notes and observations of original fantasy specimens?

D

Deleted member 45782

Oh yes, ChaddicusThundercock, didn't you also write one for newbies authors on how to write?

That's not really for a diary/compendium of things like what LinXueLian is planning. The outline is more for people quick brainstorming how characteristics to develop characters better.

Althu now I feel like I also wanna write a story about compendium of creatures too. XD sounds so cool

Slaynoir

I've a lot of things I'd like to post that are note related. Didn't know it was an option here :O

D

Deleted member 45782

i think if maybe if its a very good well known story on the platform and ppl wish more of it was explored in its worldbuild/knowledge/myths/etc., then perhaps ppl may take a look at it more. but agree, might not get as much readers. unless its a combo of story and a compendium of sorts within a story.

D

Deleted member 45782

Hey @LinXueLian , is it like biji or biji xiaoshuo (both are slight different. Biji is anecdotes, quotes and stuff author just wants record. Biji xiaoshuo is collection of short fictions). Biji translates to notebook. Link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biji_(Chinese_literature)

Was looking up Chinese fiction genres the other day. Most people, if they do read CN fiction, mostly know Wuxia, Xianxia, and Xuanhuan. Many of story ideas aren't really into cultivation like xianxia but bout gods and demons (Shenmo). Characterizing them as modern/ancient vs dark or short or paranormal is a bit messy I think since some of them is all over place but may fit well in this part but not in other parts.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hey @LinXueLian , is it like biji or biji xiaoshuo (both are slight different. Biji is anecdotes, quotes and stuff author just wants record. Biji xiaoshuo is collection of short fictions). Biji translates to notebook. Link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biji_(Chinese_literature)

Was looking up Chinese fiction genres the other day. Most people, if they do read CN fiction, mostly know Wuxia, Xianxia, and Xuanhuan. Many of story ideas aren't really into cultivation like xianxia but bout gods and demons (Shenmo). Characterizing them as modern/ancient vs dark or short or paranormal is a bit messy I think since some of them is all over place but may fit well in this part but not in other parts.
A bit like that! I feel on Scribblehub, it's probably important to add some characterization into the work in the form of fictional anecdotes at least. Such as.... "Today I travelled to the Northen Mountains and found the Red Blood Buddha's Palm Dragon Supreme Something-Something Flower. I'll bring it back to make medicine and sell it for a lot of money."

It's probably a lot more interesting for a reader than just.... notes, I think. Xianxia tends to already use existing folklore by changing it somewhat, like you said, for modern/dark/paranormal. It's the XuanHuan ones featuring wild animals and nature that I feel are quite interesting. :blob_hide:

D

Deleted member 45782

A bit like that! I feel on Scribblehub, it's probably important to add some characterization into the work in the form of fictional anecdotes at least. Such as.... "Today I travelled to the Northen Mountains and found the Red Blood Buddha's Palm Dragon Supreme Something-Something Flower. I'll bring it back to make medicine and sell it for a lot of money."

It's probably a lot more interesting for a reader than just.... notes, I think. Xianxia tends to already use existing folklore by changing it somewhat, like you said, for modern/dark/paranormal. It's the XuanHuan ones featuring wild animals and nature that I feel are quite interesting. :blob_hide:
i see. i don't read much xuanhuan so idk. its interesting googling up other cn old genres.

Last edited by a moderator:

bulmabriefs144

Hi, hello! Sorry for the weird question, but does anyone know if this is allowed here? :blobspearpeek:

What I'm trying to make isn't a story, per se, rather a journal that has illustrations of fantasy tribes, fantasy beasts, fantasy herbs, maybe recipes for forging pills out of these. The illustrations are like... botanical drawings? Zoology plates? Blueprints of automobiles (fantasy-powered automobiles, etc)

I've looked through the tags and found no "Journal" option there, nor anything in the Content Guidelines page. Additionally, I've looked through existing series here with a journal and those are more or less story-based, not observational or botanical journals. These are original fantasy worlds I've created, of course (not taken from other existing novels, don't worry :sweat_smile:).

I'm quite interested in making a pill-forging journal with botanical illustrations of fantasy herbs or beast hides/organs or a "personal journal" style for fantasy tribes/kingdoms and house them onsite. Do let me know if you know it's allowed here! Much thanks~

EDIT: If not... I'll just slap a story on nilly-willy hahaha :blob_ninja::blob_ninja::blob_ninja:

I have made a rather weird book myself, so I honestly know about doing experimental techniques (I added spoilers and notifications inside my book).

What it sounds like you want to make is a different genre book. This would be something like Reference Fantasy, where you're simulating an alchemy book or botany book or some such. If you'll notice in the toolbar for writing chapters, there is a picture function. This should manage to give your book its diagrams and stuff, but you should probably break this into short chapters, so you don't flood it with pictures. The other thing I will mention is to be sure that the pictures do not become broken, or your book is unviewable.

As for being okay, I can't imagine why not. It's not offensive, so really the issue is labeling it correctly. The Genre (which is required) doesn't appear to have a nonfiction section. Mark it as Fantasy, and then tag it Alchemy, Beasts. Something like that. Get creative. I would mention this in the novel description, so readers aren't surprised and stop reading.