Does anyone wanna talk about magic and badass paladins from my book with me?

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Last edited:

EternalSunset0

I wrote a book, and I put badass paladins in it, and also magic.

So if anyone wants to talk about paladins or magic (doesn't even have to be from the book) that'd be sick. That being said, I am very proud of my paladin from chapters 6-8.
I don't read much medieval/high fantasy but I do say that in the classic RPG classes, necromancers and paladins are two of my favorite non-enchanter/healer classes. Although paladins could count in that class at times, I guess.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Alright, here's a more exhaustive list of what makes paladins badass/cool, since it's not 4 AM anymore.

So, first off, you got the whole "usually has a badass sword"

This list has spoilers for Stormlight Archive, Deed of Paksenarrion, and others.

Examples of this include the sword from the Deed of Paksenarrion, Kaladin's spear from Stormlight Archive, and Heden's sword from Matt Colville's priest. Heden's sword literally drips rainbow, and is totally baller. Paksenarrion's sword is of elvish make, and is enchanted with a hell-of-a-lot of runes and stuff...so also cool. Kaladin's spear/shardblade is literally the higher being he swears his oath to.

Basically, most paladins are going to have badass weapons because that's part of a trope that goes all the way back to the King Arthur stories.

Paladins are also badass, because they speak oaths that give them power, and oaths are an excellent source of narrative conflict. The character may want something that their oath prevents them from taking. Their oath may restrict their life in a very interesting way (see Matt Colville's book, Priest). The point is, the stakes of paladin stories are almost always both grand-scale and personal, and it simply just makes for excellent stories to have a character torn between duty and desire.

Lastly, paladins are badass because they typically have badass magic/prayer. Their defining feature is they are aided from the divine, so they get to do some awesome spells and resist the spells of evil. Not to mention, the enemies they often face are usually badass as well. Zombies, demons, dragons, and even evil gods.

So basically, if your MC is a paladin, you get the following in your story

1) Interesting stakes on a character level
2) High-level world-ending stakes that conflict with character-stakes (oaths!), since the oath is ultimately what gives the knight power.
3) Cool weapons. Like, REALLY cool weapons.
4) The enemies are dope and powerful. The knight is oftentimes the only person who has a chance of defeating it, due to their unique skillset
5) Cool magic, oftentimes with interesting restrictions/a specific niche within the domain of the knight's patron (usually a deity, sometimes the oath itself)

tl;dr: I am a slut for paladins

Hathnuz

I wrote a book, and I put badass paladins in it, and also magic.

So if anyone wants to talk about paladins or magic (doesn't even have to be from the book) that'd be sick. That being said, I am very proud of my paladin from chapters 6-8.
Paladins in eastern stories, especially isekais are usually just a bunch of one-dimensional zealot hypocrites lol. I do have them in my story and I'm still researching about them. So, I've got some questions for you, oh paladin slut
  1. Can paladins use ranged weapons? Like bows or crossbows.
  2. What will happen to the paladins that break their oaths?
  3. How to become a paladin? What's the process usually?
Thanks in advance.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
1. IMO, any weapon is allowable, so far as it is in-line with the oath the paladin took. Oath to the god of swords? Yeah, you gotta use a sword. Oath to the Winter Huntress, Progenitor of all Hunting Equipment? If you aren't using a bow.... This being said, swords are typical because there is a trope of the blessed sword. The weapon most paladins wield is designed to be the one to fulfill some sort of prophecy/make them more powerful. In my story, swords are typical because those were the weapons of the saints.

2. Paladins who break their oaths may lose their power, it depends. Some gods tend to be a little more "hands-on" wherein you cannot use your powers if they don't like what you're currently doing, even if it is not oath-breaking. In my story...spoilers that are not yet written.

3. Becoming a paladin: train, get your ass kicked in training, train me. If the god/saint/patron wants you, they will accept your oath. If not? Too bad, go be clergy or a regular soldier or something. It's slightly more complicated than this in my story, and it's not addressed til later so I'll remain mute on it.

LilTV1155

What makes them so badass?
Paladins are heavy tankers with high Def and high Atk.
Think of a bodybuilder man with Muscles made of Titanium.
Simple answers: The Holy Knights or Priests in Shining Armors, your picks.
Dude will technically bust a hole in the walls just by walking through it. I'm joking, but not the total muscle power and armors.
Paladin Classes - Can use holy magic which involves healing spells. Can pull Aggros. Can take tons of damages. Can cast magic spells. Can . . . . probably punch a dragon dead with a fist?
Depending on the design of character, the Paladin can become OP if you manage to balance the stats well.
Now that I think about it. Then what terms do we call a Mage/Shaman in Tanking Armors?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Mage/Shaman in Tanking Armors
Warmage, Battlemage, Warpriest(of Odin), Eldritch Knight, Spellblade, Immortal (lol), Warlock, Heavy Mage, The Artillery, Abomination, Incarnation/Avatar of Metal/Wood, Arcane Berserker, Dragoon?, Geomancer, Rune Knight, Magic Swordsman, Dark Knight, Mystic Knight, (Anything magical + Knight apparently), Lionhide Druid/Shamen, Dragonhide (Anything), I'm done.

I used to love Paladins, but then I realized I was an Atheist/Agnostic, and I lost a lot of my fervor for them. I still love the image of a Knight in Shining Armor, running around healing the sick and inspiring courage in armies... But it's possible to do that as a Sorcerer, or a Druid, or even a common Alchemist. It's weird to live a life exclusively for war. ESPECIALLY if gods actually exist. Most problems in a setting with gods are caused by said gods. So a paladin devoted to those gods is kind of... Hypocritical. That's why I prefer 5e's Oaths that are unrelated to gods. Though it doesn't make much sense. :LOL:

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Warmage, Battlemage, Warpriest(of Odin), Eldritch Knight, Spellblade, Immortal (lol), Warlock, Heavy Mage, The Artillery, Abomination, Incarnation/Avatar of Metal/Wood, Arcane Berserker, Dragoon?, Geomancer, Rune Knight, Magic Swordsman, Dark Knight, Mystic Knight, (Anything magical + Knight apparently), Lionhide Druid/Shamen, Dragonhide (Anything), I'm done.

I used to love Paladins, but then I realized I was an Atheist/Agnostic, and I lost a lot of my fervor for them. I still love the image of a Knight in Shining Armor, running around healing the sick and inspiring courage in armies... But it's possible to do that as a Sorcerer, or a Druid, or even a common Alchemist. It's weird to live a life exclusively for war. ESPECIALLY if gods actually exist. Most problems in a setting with gods are caused by said gods. So a paladin devoted to those gods is kind of... Hypocritical. That's why I prefer 5e's Oaths that are unrelated to gods. Though it doesn't make much sense. :LOL:
I actually mostly envision the paladin as a ronin, not a soldier. I think it's more fitting for the traditional archetype, for they typically vow to destroy evil wherever it might lay. This includes small remote mountain villages.

LilTV1155

I actually mostly envision the paladin as a ronin, not a soldier. I think it's more fitting for the traditional archetype, for they typically vow to destroy evil wherever it might lay. This includes small remote mountain villages.
If that's the case, then that Paladin would be the Templar Crusader (Religion+Priest+Armor+Sword+Overzealous Faith+Yanderish Faith+ Sprinkle of Questionable Morality);
The Holy Evils. or Genocidal Baneslayer.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
paladin as a ronin, not a soldier
Eh, a Ronin is a mercenary.

My first impression of Paladins was the Call to Arms. A Paladin is chosen by a God or Holy Order at around the age of five, and immediately enters Spartan style combat training and religious instruction. Once they reach the age where they can go out and start being a do-gooder, they do tend to wander like a Ronin, but at the behest of their Deity/Order. Which would technically make them closer to a Samurai... Whatever.

Either way, a Paladin is 100% a soldier. Or rather, a questing Knight. They wear the armor, they learn all the weapon skills. Usually they even get a celestial horse. And armies rally whenever their banner appears. Traditionally, anyways.

If you want to defy tradition, then you get Paladins devoted to Evil or at least less moral gods. That's where those zealous fanatics that show up so much come from. 'Justice' is defined by the god they serve. Not serving a god is good for me, but it also means they aren't being held accountable to anyone but their oaths... Which could be anything.
If that's the case, then that Paladin would be the Templar Crusader (Religion+Priest+Armor+Sword+Overzealous Faith+Yanderish Faith+ Sprinkle of Questionable Morality);
The Holy Evils. or Genocidal Baneslayer.
Not necessarily. A traditional Paladin would have the ability to literally Detect Evil in some way. They wouldn't go around killing innocent people. They would be raised to offer compassion and mercy whenever possible. And redemption is always an option as well. It's only for the truly evil that they would take up arms.

Last edited:

LilTV1155

Actually if Priest is sort of a mage. And Warrior are guys with muscles and armors.
I got a better name for shaman/priest/etc/ + warrior fusions: The Magic Tanks or Magical Tankers / Big Cannon

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Actually if Priest is sort of a mage. And Warrior are guys with muscles and armors.
I got a better name for shaman/priest/etc/ + warrior fusions: The Magic Tanks or Magical Tankers.
Careful with the word tank. It only means what you think it means in the context of a post world war setting. It's better to use something else entirely. Though I love the image of a giant floating glass container holding a literal ton of magic power.

LilTV1155

Careful with the word tank. It only means what you think it means in the context of a post world war setting. It's better to use something else entirely. Though I love the image of a giant floating glass container holding a literal ton of magic power.
Hmmm.... How about Wrecking Balls of Magic?
But I did see the word "tank" being used as a general RPG term for Classes that have high attack power and high defense power. So heavy armored machines that can wreck holes in the walls just by charging at it, does fit the descriptions somehow like . . . Muscleman of Steel.