Does anyone wanna talk about magic and badass paladins from my book with me?

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Hmmm.... How about Wrecking Balls of Magic?
But I did see the word "tank" being used as a general RPG term for Classes that have high attack power and high defense power. So heavy armored machines that can wreck holes in the walls just by charging at it, does fit the descriptions somehow like . . . Muscleman of Steel.
Where was high attack power included in an RPG definition for tank? Usually an RPG's tank is purely defensive, with room for attack or support for flavoring. High attack would usually be called DPS.

Which is a good comparison, really. If you were in another world where classes were a thing, or something similar, nobody would have a class called 'Magic DPS'. They would be a Sorcerer, or a Black Mage or whatever. That's why 'Magic Tank' is off. You would swap Tank for Knight, Guardian, Protector, Warrior, something like that. Muscleman of Steel is fine, since it makes some kind of sense.

What I meant before though, is that the term Tank, meaning an Armored Vehicle, is a code word. It's effectively slang. Calling an armored vehicle (or someone who resembles an armored vehicle) a tank wouldn't make sense outside of a modern setting, or a futuristic setting where English slang is still a thing. It's fine if your Isekai'd character says it too. But not if the meaning is understood.

Last edited:

LilTV1155

Where was high attack power included in an RPG definition for tank? Usually an RPG's tank is purely defensive, with room for attack or support for flavoring. High attack would usually be called DPS.

Which is a good comparison, really. If you were in another world where classes were a thing, or something similar, nobody would have a class called 'Magic DPS'. They would be a Sorcerer, or a Black Mage or whatever. That's why 'Magic Tank' is off. You would swap Tank for Knight, Guardian, Protector, Warrior, something like that. Muscleman of Steel is fine, since it makes some kind of sense.

What I meant before though, is that the term Tank, meaning an Armored Vehicle, is a code word. It's effectively slang. Called an armored vehicle (or someone who resembles an armored vehicle) a tank wouldn't make sense outside of a modern setting, or a futuristic setting where English slang is still a thing. It's fine if your Isekai'd character says it too. But not if the meaning is understood.
Okay. Thank you for the clarification. Somehow I got the imagery idea while thinking about the High Def classes characters.

If I ever have to make a High Def class character in the future story, then these will be on his info status.
Title: Man of Steel Abs and Iron Pecs
Lyrics devoted from a battlesong: Bags checked, racks decked / Prep yo stashes, pack yo abs / Get ready and set yo A* out
** Character will have no choice but to sing this 4 liner lyrics if he want to go OP Defense.
*** Even if he is a Paladin devoted to his faith. Also the better the musical and battlesong, the longer lasting effects of OP Def Booster

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I play my trap card:

I posted 5 chapters this week

I wanna talk about badass magic and paladins
lol. Paladins are well covered. So, badass magic then.

Ironically, I usually don't include Necromancy in that category. Anything Necromancy can do, Healing magic or Elemental magic can do better. The few times Necromancy is better is when Healing magic isn't a category, or with things that can only be done with Necromancy. Speaking with the Dead, creating mindless foot soldiers without actually resurrecting your enemies, and maybe resisting certain effects and spells. That last one is extremely dependent on your magic system though. Sometimes people make magic systems where Like resists Like, and sometimes they say Opposites Defy each other. So either you resist Holy magic, or it completely destroys you, lol.

My biggest complaint about Necromancy goes back to that first point though. Why would you turn yourself into an insane, immoral, immortal Lich, when you could just be flat out immortal, no strings attached with Healing magic or Nature magic or whatever. Why rot when you can regenerate? Why drink blood when you can make yourself photosynthetic. Necromancy and the undead are... Pitiful, at best.

Of course, that's where Necromancers who exist to destroy the undead come in. THAT'S badass.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
lol. Paladins are well covered. So, badass magic then.

Ironically, I usually don't include Necromancy in that category. Anything Necromancy can do, Healing magic or Elemental magic can do better. The few times Necromancy is better is when Healing magic isn't a category, or with things that can only be done with Necromancy. Speaking with the Dead, creating mindless foot soldiers without actually resurrecting your enemies, and maybe resisting certain effects and spells. That last one is extremely dependent on your magic system though. Sometimes people make magic systems where Like resists Like, and sometimes they say Opposites Defy each other. So either you resist Holy magic, or it completely destroys you, lol.

My biggest complaint about Necromancy goes back to that first point though. Why would you turn yourself into an insane, immoral, immortal Lich, when you could just be flat out immortal, no strings attached with Healing magic or Nature magic or whatever. Why rot when you can regenerate? Why drink blood when you can make yourself photosynthetic. Necromancy and the undead are... Pitiful, at best.

Of course, that's where Necromancers who exist to destroy the undead come in. THAT'S badass.

That makes the assumption liches exist in this world. Also, there's a lot more magic besides necromancy on the story. c:

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
That makes the assumption liches exist in this world. Also, there's a lot more magic besides necromancy on the story. c:
Ah, it was meant to be an opening to talk about other things. Like, liches don't exist in your story? And what other magics?

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Ah, it was meant to be an opening to talk about other things. Like, liches don't exist in your story? And what other magics?
It's sorta a more "wonderous" magic system. Repelling powerful storms, controlling a bolt of lightning, making one's self unnoticeable, or animating a trebuchet into a wooden dragon.

And yeah, liches dont exist because of the nature of necromantic magic. Immortality is also impossible in the world. Spells are much more tied-in to how well someone understands the nature of the thing they are manipulating. If you understands storms well, you'll be good at weather magic...if you get the chance to study magic and practice for a long time.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
It's sorta a more "wonderous" magic system. Repelling powerful storms, controlling a bolt of lightning, making one's self unnoticeable, or animating a trebuchet into a wooden dragon.

And yeah, liches dont exist because of the nature of necromantic magic. Immortality is also impossible in the world. Spells are much more tied-in to how well someone understands the nature of the thing they are manipulating. If you understands storms well, you'll be good at weather magic...if you get the chance to study magic and practice for a long time.
Sounds like it would lend itself well to supporting science. By studying the world, you can overcome it. So rather than being impossible, that just means they haven't learned enough about the body yet, lol.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Sounds like it would lend itself well to supporting science. By studying the world, you can overcome it. So rather than being impossible, that just means they haven't learned enough about the body yet, lol.
Learning things in general is helpful, but not sufficient for being able to do it. The spell, if it were ever possible, would be so convoluted and precise that you would probably die because of the wrong pinky placement.

Also, immortality is impossible humans in my story.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Learning things in general is helpful, but not sufficient for being able to do it. The spell, if it were ever possible, would be so convoluted and precise that you would probably die because of the wrong pinky placement.

Also, immortality is impossible humans in my story.
Why? Divine proclamation, or something?

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Why? Divine proclamation, or something?
The god of death is also the god of Decay. Magic involves reaching across an invisible barrier to the realm of the gods, and healing magic in-particular is very close to her domains. God of death also ensures all men wither and die.

I do suppose there might be a couple of in-universe solutions to her existing that one could try, but I don't think they are feasible.