Does gender bender tag apply to this

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
This is the definition of the tag according to scribblehub's search function:
Girls dressing up as guys, guys dressing up as girls. Guys turning into girls, girls turning into guys.

So, I think what you say is more of a sexless monster turning into a human and vice versa.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
This counts.
Gender includes non-binary, so changing from binary to non-binary or vice-versa is gender bender.

Just keep in mind that it has to be important to the plot. If your stone statue turns into Goliath the Male Gargoyle, but he acts like everything's fine and doesn't comment on it, it isn't gender bender.
If he goes, "What the heck is this between my legs!?! Why is that girl so frickin attractive?!? I wanna go back to stone, now!" That's gender bender.

Or if you turn @CupcakeNinja into a Divine Being, that's Gender Bender, and you might get punched.

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
This counts.
Gender includes non-binary, so changing from binary to non-binary or vice-versa is gender bender.

Just keep in mind that it has to be important to the plot. If your stone statue turns into Goliath the Male Gargoyle, but he acts like everything's fine and doesn't comment on it, it isn't gender bender.
If he goes, "What the heck is this between my legs!?! Why is that girl so frickin attractive?!? I wanna go back to stone, now!" That's gender bender.

Or if you turn [DATA EXPUNGED] nto a Divine Being, that's Gender Bender, and you might get punched.
Oh yeah, gender is more of an identity thing. I assumed it was biological(minus the brain), cause that's what most stories work with.
Funny how I missed that when my most recently thought of MC turns himself into a girl in both body and mind because he was too enthusiastic to fulfill his girlfriend's request(to which he kinda did the exact opposite)

MajorKerina

I suppose it’s kind of like what you present in the story like if you have a character that shape shifts because they’re some extra dimensional thing and they can look like anyone any gender or whatever then I suppose you could include it. Sort of intent I guess

BlackKnightX

If we look at it objectively then, it counts. But what most reader want from this tag is guy turning into girl and vice versa.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Entity with a gender - > entity without gender and vice versa
I'd say... depends how you intend it? There's definitely room to tag it, if you think it relevant to the character's story. You might also wanna tag it as transgender, assuming this is about the main character becoming/discovering they are agender (which, being a non-binary identity, falls under the trans umbrella for the purpose of tags, until we get an actual non-binary tag).

sereminar

It's up to you, going from having a gender to being agender is definitely a change.

Aureoled

Optional, only genderless tag applies to it. But i would say it wouldnt be in your best interest to apply the tag because many people use that tag to search for male to female or female to male novels

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
If we look at it objectively then, it counts. But what most reader want from this tag is guy turning into girl and vice versa.
Optional, only genderless tag applies to it. But i would say it wouldnt be in your best interest to apply the tag because many people use that tag to search for male to female or female to male novels
Those people should be looking at the tags they want instead, then.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Girls dressing up as guys, guys dressing up as girls. Guys turning into girls, girls turning into guys.

So, I think what you say is more of a sexless monster turning into a human and vice versa.
I would prefer people using crossdressing to refer to such things, Gender bender/swap is TSF and should stay TSF when we already have a perfect tag and word already for guys or girls dressing up as the opposite gender, which is crossdressing.
It really depends, Are we talking about being sexless or genderless or both?

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I would prefer people using crossdressing to refer to such things, Gender bender/swap is TSF and should stay TSF when we already have a perfect tag and word already for guys or girls dressing up as the opposite gender, which is crossdressing.

It really depends, Are we talking about being sexless or genderless or both?
Tbf, a large part of Gender Fuck or Gender Bender were by crossdressers making a political statement. Eliminating Crossdressing from the equation is like removing mythology from the definition of fantasy. Sure, there are a few valid arguments for it, but it feels ungrateful.

Whether it's sexless or genderless, it's still gender bender. Unless you mean sexless like, not having sex. In which case yeah, that would be celibacy, not gender bender.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Girls dressing up as guys, guys dressing up as girls.
This part should be removed, that is just crossdressing ~ and there is no need for overlap between both. I guess I will just drop in the tag cleaning thread over on nuf...
Yes, it would go under gender bender.

It is more about the spirit of the tag and its definition than the exact words. And yes this is the consensus amongst mods and older members (atleast on nuf and most likely on shf)

For example, there is a tag I introduced back in NUF called "Cryostasis"
Here is the definition under it,
This tag is to be used if one or more characters is in prolonged life-preserving hibernation, voluntary or otherwise, followed by waking up decades/centuries/millennias in the future and finding the world around them has changed.
This tag is not limited to hibernation due to being cryopreserved.
It was named Cryostasis as even though it as a tag was meant to encompass all such event of long term stasis; we couldnt think of better tag names and major examples of it back then had chars frozen in ~ice.

So yeah intent is important.

Btw pssst write stuff with Cryostasis as a tag pls ~