Does this site shadow ban?

I'm fairly new to Scribblehub and I started crossposting some stories I have posted elsewhere, three of them at the exact same time. Two of them have 200-300+ views and the third one has.... 6? All after the first chapter and before the others? Is it like shadowbanned??
The chapters seem to take longer to post as well.
I think it has been too many hours since the chapter was posted for me to see if it's showing up on the newest releases page or whatever it is called on this site but I can pay attention to that next week when I post.
It has the sexual content tag but I haven't even gotten to any smut yet. The cover has a mostly naked male character (shadows hiding any private parts) but its not a provocative or sexual cover at all? Also if its the cover than how are there any views at all??
And if there is something they find objectionable about my work to have it shadowbanned than why don't they just give me a notification????
tl;dr Is shadow banning a thing on this site and if it is, is there some way to appeal the shadow ban?

[edit]
It appears the story in question hasn't been approved, even after a week, and that is the reason for the extremely low view counts, trying to look into why or if I need to reupload

Last edited:

RebelLion

The system will hide your stories from Latest Updates if you update them too many times in a day.

The system will hide your stories from Latest Updates if you update them too many times in a day.
I didn't post multiple chapters a day tho. I posted one chapter 1 day, a chapter the next day, and then a chapter a week later (a.k.a earlier today). I do post all three of these (separate) stories back to back and it is the third of them that I post, could that cause a problem? Or is it only for uploading multiple chapters of the same story in one day?

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I find it very unlikly that there is a shadowban, if only because this site is a one man show (praise Tony), and complicated algorithms like that/manual discrimination take an enormous amount of work.
Smut is usually very appreciated on this site, so that would not be a reason to discriminate against you. (right now I'm seeing a book in teh latest updates called Sex Cult 101)
Latest updates are often fiddly, with your new chapter sometimes taking some time to appear, but it is rarely a big issue. You might have been unlucky with a bug, or your release was buried under multiple other new releases, or your title/cover didn't appeal to many people. The chances of foul play are very slim.

To my knowledge, shadow banning isn't a thing here. Usually, it's bugs or some anti-abuse system malfunctioning that causes such troubles, or you might've been unlucky.
Ah if it is a bug is there a way to report? Like I said very new to Scribblehub lol

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Ah if it is a bug is there a way to report? Like I said very new to Scribblehub lol

all the tech stuff is done by a 1 @Tony band so sometimes things can get a little wonky, especially with 'latest updates' or as vaurwyn said, your releases just might have popped at a very busy release time so ended up shuffled off 'latest releases' very fast which does happen.

soo... looked up your novels and saw the one with just 6 views. "Action Boys Love Drama Fantasy Romance Tragedy".. huh, there's a thriving BL community here so normally they're like moths to flames when it comes to new BL novels. then again, sometimes they seem like they can be quite picky. who knows.

I find it very unlikly that there is a shadowban, if only because this site is a one man show (praise Tony), and complicated algorithms like that/manual discrimination take an enormous amount of work.
Smut is usually very appreciated on this site, so that would not be a reason to discriminate against you. (right now I'm seeing a book in teh latest updates called Sex Cult 101)
Latest updates are often fiddly, with your new chapter sometimes taking some time to appear, but it is rarely a big issue. You might have been unlucky with a bug, or your release was buried under multiple other new releases, or your title/cover didn't appeal to many people. The chances of foul play are very slim.
Thank you for the information! I wouldn't have been suspicious if it weren't for the other two works I'm posting getting a good bit more views at pretty much the same time of posting. I wonder if the sort of slower posting of it (it seems to take a few hours before its actual posted instead of being immediate for some reason) makes it come out at a really slow time or something. Thanks again!

SailusGebel

You can write a thread in Bug Reports. However, even if it is a bug, it's not certain that you will get your views. You might get something, like a spot in the latest update for ten minutes or so to get back those views, or you might not. It's up to luck.

all the tech stuff is done by a 1 @Tony band so sometimes things can get a little wonky, especially with 'latest updates' or as vaurwyn said, your releases just might have popped at a very busy release time so ended up shuffled off 'latest releases' very fast which does happen.

soo... looked up your novels and saw the one with just 6 views. "Action Boys Love Drama Fantasy Romance Tragedy".. huh, there's a thriving BL community here so normally they're like moths to flames when it comes to new BL novels. then again, sometimes they seem like they can be quite picky. who knows.
Lol I did wonder at first if maybe there just aren't many fans of angsty/tragic bl on at the posting time when it got so few to begin with only started thinking shadow ban or bug when it didn't at least double by the third chapter's posting. I shall experiment with different posting times and if it stays at 6 views after a few more chapters maybe report it as a possible bug.
Perhaps I am just saddened by my favorite child being surpassed by my stress inducing child once again lol

SailusGebel

Lol I did wonder at first if maybe there just aren't many fans of angsty/tragic bl on at the posting time when it got so few to begin with only started thinking shadow ban or bug when it didn't at least double by the third chapter's posting. I shall experiment with different posting times and if it stays at 6 views after a few more chapters maybe report it as a possible bug.
Perhaps I am just saddened by my favorite child being surpassed by my stress inducing child once again lol
There is even a discord server for BL writers from SH. @tiaf am I right or not?

And lastly, I almost forgot. Have you just started posting the novel with 6 views? Because the statistics of every novel are usually updated once a day. So, maybe the stats of your novel haven't been updated yet?

LostLibrarian

Your novel doesn't seem to appear in the latest series, so it probably wasn't visible on the frontpage directly after the start which is the main source of the first hundred views your other stories got.

And while there is no shadowban in itself, there is the option that stories aren't shown on the frontpage. At least I remember some cases where people hosted translations which won't be shown together with the normal novels. It might be that it got flagged for that.

I also think your story could be taken off the frontpage if its content is against rules. I think I remember some discussions about it but don't quote me on that. But it might be another reason if it (still) exists...

In the end, you'll have to open a Bug Report and ask Tony why.
Might be something you should resolve before reposting/adding new chapters.

Your novel doesn't seem to appear in the latest series, so it probably wasn't visible on the frontpage directly after the start which is the main source of the first hundred views your other stories got.

And while there is no shadowban in itself, there is the option that stories aren't shown on the frontpage. At least I remember some cases where people hosted translations which won't be shown together with the normal novels. It might be that it got flagged for that.

I also think your story could be taken off the frontpage if its content is against rules. I think I remember some discussions about it but don't quote me on that. But it might be another reason if it (still) exists...

In the end, you'll have to open a Bug Report and ask Tony why.
Might be something you should resolve before reposting/adding new chapters.
Interesting! Then maybe I'll try to open a thread on bug reports soon

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'm fairly new to Scribblehub and I started crossposting some stories I have posted elsewhere, three of them at the exact same time. Two of them have 200-300+ views and the third one has.... 6? All after the first chapter and before the others? Is it like shadowbanned??
The chapters seem to take longer to post as well.
I think it has been too many hours since the chapter was posted for me to see if it's showing up on the newest releases page or whatever it is called on this site but I can pay attention to that next week when I post.
It has the sexual content tag but I haven't even gotten to any smut yet. The cover has a mostly naked male character (shadows hiding any private parts) but its not a provocative or sexual cover at all? Also if its the cover than how are there any views at all??
And if there is something they find objectionable about my work to have it shadowbanned than why don't they just give me a notification????
tl;dr Is shadow banning a thing on this site and if it is, is there some way to appeal the shadow ban?
There is definitely not any shadowban system.

That said, your "Blood-Forged" series isn't showing on the search, which means it hasn't been approved yet. Hence why it has so few views.

I'm not sure why it hasn't been approved when considering it's been a week since you first posted it. Maybe Tony just missed it somehow... But it hasn't been Shadowbanned at all, it simply wasn't approved yet.

Try poking Tony about it. My best guess is that he accidentally forgot to click a button that would make your novel become visible.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It does for poems and other things that aren't stories. I found out the hard way. You can still find Lewd Poems through my profile or the link in my signature, though. Please don't forget to give me one-star ratings 😇