Doing Free Covers [No copyright claim.]

aree

Hello World.

Before anything, let me clear it for you.
I am not a digital illustrator.
If I make a cover for you, I would have no claim over it. Neither do you.

My friend AnnonBee asked me to do a cover for him, So I did it with Photoshop, free art, and fanart (If any art I have used is not free then forgive me).
I am happy with the results. So I wanted to do more. I know there is a better artist than me, so people who are more experienced in photoshop. But I just want to have fun. So, if you want just reply to this post. I will contact you.

Experience: My work has more to do with precision art, than this type of work. Oh! I just realized there is symmetry in these covers too.

Schedule: I will do 1-2 covers per week depending on the time I have.

What you need to provide me: A detail of your expected cover. e.g. If you want a cover centered on your mc's power, then please summarize Mc's power.
You need to understand that I am not creating the art myself, rather finding the suitable one and assembling them (Like a prebuilt system). If it is not up to your mark, don't use it, I wouldn't mind.

Copyright claims: As I have said, I have no claim on it, neither do you.

Payment: Add my name to your synopsis. (Annonbee used: Assembled by my friend Aree (forum ID) using Photoshop. Neither he nor I have any claim over source images.) Something like that.

fu1.jpg
cover6.jpg

Last edited:

aree

Even if you're photo-bashing, I'm pretty sure the copyright of the assets you're using still carry over.
Do you really read what I have wrote? I have no claim over the any images. It was written in bold.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Do you really read what I have wrote? I have no claim over the any images. It was written in bold.
ye but there's still somebody else's intellectual property on the covers i.e. you used them to make these covers, which means someone still owns them regardless of whether you do. you have no claim over these images but someone else does, and if that someone asks for it the one who uses it may get in trouble.

but I doubt 343 industries would claim over Walmart Master Chief on a clip art background so take my words for a grain of salt

ziplen4

ye but there's still somebody else's intellectual property on the covers i.e. you used them to make these covers, which means someone still owns them regardless of whether you do. you have no claim over these images but someone else does, and if that someone asks for it the one who uses it may get in trouble.

but I doubt 343 industries would claim over Walmart Master Chief on a clip art background so take my words for a grain of salt

Even if you're photo-bashing, I'm pretty sure the copyright of the assets you're using still carry over.

isn't there's something like it's transformative enough, it wouldn't be claimed. I'm not sure though also I think as long you're not earning money it should be fine

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
isn't there's something like it's transformative enough, it wouldn't be claimed. I'm not sure though also I think as long you're not earning money it should be fine
Boooooooooooy
wait till you hear about Anne Rice

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
What about Anne rice?
basically anne rice took action against fanfiction using elements or characters from her novels. So the only connection i can find between that and the dude's comment about the "30 percent different and it cant be claimed" thing is that any obvious semblance can still be grounds for a case against you.
The 30 percent thing is a myth, essentially. That said, when is a copy a copy? For example, with characters? There's a point where certain types of characters become so commonplace that there's no point in pursuing a case unless you REALLY can afford it and are a goddamn asshole.

For example, marvel and DC have had lawsuits against each other for writers copying ideas from the other company. Captain Britain, Shazam, the Sentry...those that are obviously based on Superman.
Back in those days it was easier because superman was THE FIRST superhero of his kind.
So it was simple to say, "hey you copied us so we can sue you"
Its harder now because the world is so oversaturated with similar concepts and ideas. Almost everything has been done already and copied to the point where its dumb to sue anyone.
Unless you can prove without doubt they copied you specifically, its just not worth it.

I think its somewhat harder with images, but yeah. Its a huge grey area cuz it gets way complicated and relies heavily on context to determine whether your work is similar enough to another to deem it a copy or a copyrighted material.

Look here for a more in depth explanation

CypherTails

It depends on the IP and the controlling entity like the mickey mouse ears is a heavily protected IP, so if you try to use it on anything no matter how transformative you can expect the mouse police to come knocking. Technically by that logic the master chief should also be under the same rule.

Also, the money thing technically isn't true, the IP protects the usage of it. So if the host entity does not agree with its usage they can take legal action to take it down.

However, just because it breaks the rules doesn't mean anyone will come after you. Alot of IPs now like fan works, it's good marketing as long as it's not too messed up. Like if there's a Master Chief story that blows up all over the internet and the story is about him raping his way across the universe.

aree

basically anne rice took action against fanfiction using elements or characters from her novels. So the only connection i can find between that and the dude's comment about the "30 percent different and it cant be claimed" thing is that any obvious semblance can still be grounds for a case against you.
The 30 percent thing is a myth, essentially. That said, when is a copy a copy? For example, with characters? There's a point where certain types of characters become so commonplace that there's no point in pursuing a case unless you REALLY can afford it and are a goddamn asshole.

For example, marvel and DC have had lawsuits against each other for writers copying ideas from the other company. Captain Britain, Shazam, the Sentry...those that are obviously based on Superman.
Back in those days it was easier because superman was THE FIRST superhero of his kind.
So it was simple to say, "hey you copied us so we can sue you"
Its harder now because the world is so oversaturated with similar concepts and ideas. Almost everything has been done already and copied to the point where its dumb to sue anyone.
Unless you can prove without doubt they copied you specifically, its just not worth it.

I think its somewhat harder with images, but yeah. Its a huge grey area cuz it gets way complicated and relies heavily on context to determine whether your work is similar enough to another to deem it a copy or a copyrighted material.

Look here for a more in depth explanation

Thanks for the info, bro.

SailusGebel

The op simply offered his Photoshop skills. There is already plenty of stol...borrowed artwork for covers here. Why bother arguing about something that is basically free? Mention in the synopsis is nothing compared to the fact that you might get a cover closer to the one you want.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
The op simply offered his Photoshop skills. There is already plenty of stol...borrowed artwork for covers here. Why bother arguing about something that is basically free? Mention in the synopsis is nothing compared to the fact that you might get a cover closer to the one you want.
You said it yourself.
Stolen is always illegal. And what a surprise, there are people who don’t know it’s illegal and think “everyone does it so it’s ok” when it’s not. The way OP phrased it showed they didn’t know about the copyright issues.

Why is it suddenly wrong to point out misinformation? Also, it wasn’t arguing, it was a clear discussion without hard feelings.

SailusGebel

You said it yourself.
Stolen is always illegal. And what a surprise, there are people who don’t know it’s illegal and think “everyone does it so it’s ok” when it’s not. The way OP phrased it showed they didn’t know about the copyright issues.

Why is it suddenly wrong to point out misinformation? Also, it wasn’t arguing, it was a clear discussion without hard feelings.
Didn't he state that no one will have the copyrights except for the rightful owners? Or was it added later on? If so, excuse me. As for my usage of the word argue, yes, I used the wrong synonym.

aree

You said it yourself.

It'
Didn't he state that no one will have the copyrights except for the rightful owners? Or was it added later on? If so, excuse me. As for my usage of the word argue, yes, I used the wrong synonym.
It wasn't edited later. I am saying it again, I have no claim over the source art.
There is no hard feeling. This is really first time doing this type of thing. So thank you all for all the information. It really helped me understand the problem.