Doing the 'boring' chapters...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

I don't know what is the right term for it, but I'm sure all of us went through this: there are parts in your story that took you a while to finish. Not because you're busy or out of ideas, but rather, you just don't like writing the part and would rather skip it for a more interesting chapter.

What did you do?

I recently went through it. I'm currently writing my 6th volume when I came to this 'part', and though important, I just couldn't write it. Even went procrastinating and rewriting my ideas, but I really need to include the said scenes.

Well, the next thing I did is to write the chapter bit by bit (up to 500 words per day, sometimes scrapping the ideas and restarting again). When I got to the point that I could not think anymore, I rested for a few days. The whole ordeal lasted for two weeks. It's really frustrating!

But when I was fully rested, I went over that 'boring' chapter again, to find that my ideas were actually good. I did some adjusting until I was fully satisfied. Then my writing went on to 'explode', writing three more chapters in one sitting.

Well, that's my story. What about you? How did you 'cross' that boring chapter or part, and continue to write again? Feel free to share your ideas below. 😉📝

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Nah I never had that problem I'm just a lazy cunt. I never had a boring chapter. I have had boring parts, but they were over fast.

If you find a chapter boring, dont even bother writing it. Write it differently. There ain't much excuse for not finding more interesting approaches.

Well. I guess if you write in first person solely from one perspective. Then you are severely limited. Which is why I dont do that. If I do first person, I make the character himself interesting (least to me) or write the story where it can have different points of view from different characters.

Best way to write in my opinion is third person. You have SO much freedom. Even from paragraph to paragraph you can switch between one character to another.

That's why I almost never get caught up in "boring" chapters. Cuz even if I do, I can just find a way to switch it up to where Its more interesting to write.

I will completely derail my pre established plans to avoid boredom too. I find it a challenge. To make things work out even when my characters completely fuck up what I originally wanted to do.

And they do. Fuck up plans I mean. Its cuz I've found that if the character has a certain personality they would make choices that can change everything. And I can never bring myself to just change the choices they would make just for the sake of advancing the plot.

Hm. I dont have that problem much in my other stories tho. Only my main one. Cuz the MC is fucking insane. And an extremist.

to me, the only important part is the fun one.

if it's not fun, it's not worth writing. i will just wait it out until i found one.

D

Deleted member 29316

Nah I never had that problem I'm just a lazy cunt. I never had a boring chapter. I have had boring parts, but they were over fast.

If you find a chapter boring, dont even bother writing it. Write it differently. There ain't much excuse for not finding more interesting approaches.

Well. I guess if you write in first person solely from one perspective. Then you are severely limited. Which is why I dont do that. If I do first person, I make the character himself interesting (least to me) or write the story where it can have different points of view from different characters.

Best way to write in my opinion is third person. You have SO much freedom. Even from paragraph to paragraph you can switch between one character to another.

That's why I almost never get caught up in "boring" chapters. Cuz even if I do, I can just find a way to switch it up to where Its more interesting to write.

I will completely derail my pre established plans to avoid boredom too. I find it a challenge. To make things work out even when my characters completely fuck up what I originally wanted to do.

And they do. Fuck up plans I mean. Its cuz I've found that if the character has a certain personality they would make choices that can change everything. And I can never bring myself to just change the choices they would make just for the sake of advancing the plot.

Hm. I dont have that problem much in my other stories tho. Only my main one. Cuz the MC is fucking insane. And an extremist.
Yeah, I agree that writing in 3rd person is the best. Less chance to get stuck in a chapter because of the wide range of perspectives you can choose from. Pretty flexible POV.

to me, the only important part is the fun one.

if it's not fun, it's not worth writing. i will just wait it out until i found one.
So, uh, you're going to wait for new ideas, or twists, to improve your chapter? 🤔. Sometimes it works too.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I look at it honestly and ask myself why it's boring.

Oftentimes, it's because I'm not writing it properly. I think I'm passing over important information to the reader, but I'm actually under-utilising the scene and it's not contributing to the story as much as I thought.

I just spent 2 out of my 6 weeks struggling with this problem for my Snow White retelling. We haven't even met the dwarves yet.
A few days ago, I realised that these scenes are my most important opportunity to introduce Snow's character, make the villain an object of fear, and to establish everything that's at stake.
So I was able to inject life into the scenes focusing on that, and some of the details changed to create a more lively beginning.

If that doesn't work, I ask what I'd need to do to make the scene more interesting to me personally.
Maybe that's add more jokes, maybe it's to add more fantasy descriptions, or to change the whole dynamic...
Whatever it is, I do it.

D

Deleted member 29316

I look at it honestly and ask myself why it's boring.

Oftentimes, it's because I'm not writing it properly. I think I'm passing over important information to the reader, but I'm actually under-utilising the scene and it's not contributing to the story as much as I thought.

I just spent 2 out of my 6 weeks struggling with this problem for my Snow White retelling. We haven't even met the dwarves yet.
A few days ago, I realised that these scenes are my most important opportunity to introduce Snow's character, make the villain an object of fear, and to establish everything that's at stake.
So I was able to inject life into the scenes focusing on that, and some of the details changed to create a more lively beginning.

If that doesn't work, I ask what I'd need to do to make the scene more interesting to me personally.
Maybe that's add more jokes, maybe it's to add more fantasy descriptions, or to change the whole dynamic...
Whatever it is, I do it.
So this would be more on the 'analytical' side of things, with discipline added? Am I correct on that?

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
You're doing something wrong if your chapter is boring.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
First thing I'd do is examine why did I manage to come up with that scene in the first place. Usually it's because of some crucial plot points, character-building, world-building, build-up to a climax, etc. Then I'd convince myself that this story NEEDS it, because, just like baked beans on a breakfast set, your final product can't do without it.

If I can't find a reason, then into the bin it goes.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
kinda too generalising. without breathing room or space for the story to grow, you'd just end up like transformers, where everything is toned up to 11 to the point where it's just boring all round.

D

Deleted member 29316

Well yes, it's a given, that's why you're bored at it. But then, what are the things you do to 'go past' that part (the solution) to make it interesting for you, and hopefully, to the reader as well?

D

Deleted member 29316

First thing I'd do is examine why did I manage to come up with that scene in the first place. Usually it's because of some crucial plot points, character-building, world-building, build-up to a climax, etc. Then I'd convince myself that this story NEEDS it, because, just like baked beans on a breakfast set, your final product can't do without it.

If I can't find a reason, then into the bin it goes.
Hmm...I like your perspective in this matter, because yes, while you try to avoid boring parts as an author, sometimes you have to include it to 'bridge' the other scenes of the story.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
kinda too generalising. without breathing room or space for the story to grow, you'd just end up like transformers, where everything is toned up to 11 to the point where it's just boring all round.
you can have fun and interesting scenes that aren't just action-packed or fast pace. Boring doesn't mean slow. It means uninteresting.
Well yes, it's a given, that's why you're bored at it. But then, what are the things you do to 'go past' that part (the solution) to make it interesting for you, and hopefully, to the reader as well?
It's case by case. Only you know what that scene is and what it lacks or can be improved upon. Your creativity is the solution to make things interesting.

D

Deleted member 29316

It's case by case. Only you know what that scene is and what it lacks or can be improved upon. Your creativity is the solution to make things interesting.
True. And it could get frustrating to the author when his/her creativity doesn't work at the moment.

As for my solution, I take a break for a few days before going over the ideas I've written. Then, just like what Benjephenet said, if the idea doesn't fit, into the bin it goes.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
So this would be more on the 'analytical' side of things, with discipline added? Am I correct on that?

I suppose it is. I generally find that, if I don't correct my attitude like this, I'll write my characters too passive and the narrative too rushed.

Sometimes it comes out okay despite that, but it could be better. Other times, it becomes a complete liability to the whole story...

D

Deleted member 29316

I suppose it is. I generally find that, if I don't correct my attitude like this, I'll write my characters too passive and the narrative too rushed.

Sometimes it comes out okay despite that, but it could be better. Other times, it becomes a complete liability to the whole story...
Ah yes, I guess we authors need to 'push' ourselves from time to time to bring out the best in our works. Because, really, doing the right thing in writing takes a good deal of time and effort, then rinse and repeat.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I have had this problem before, but it was less out of boredom and more out of excitement for later chapters. I wanted to start writing those chapters but I got depressed knowing that everything I'm doing won't be used and is likely to be discarded when the time comes to use it so I end up going back to work eventually. But then perpetual laziness and procrastination gets in my way to the point where it doesn't even matter whether what I'm currently writing is boring, because it all gets done at a snail's pace anyway.

D

Deleted member 29316

I have had this problem before, but it was less out of boredom and more out of excitement for later chapters. I wanted to start writing those chapters but I got depressed knowing that everything I'm doing won't be used and is likely to be discarded when the time comes to use it so I end up going back to work eventually. But then perpetual laziness and procrastination gets in my way to the point where it doesn't even matter whether what I'm currently writing is boring, because it all gets done at a snail's pace anyway.
Yeah, that feeling of wanting to jump straight into the interesting chapters is also a problem...as well as procrastination and laziness.

In such cases, I guess the only solution is self-discipline? 😱

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Yeah, that feeling of wanting to jump straight into the interesting chapters is also a problem...as well as procrastination and laziness.

In such cases, I guess the only solution is self-discipline? 😱
A solution I've yet to achieve.

D

Deleted member 29316

A solution I've yet to achieve.
Well, self-discipline is an easy word to say, but hard to actually do. I mean, I've struggled myself as well in writing for the past few weeks...

Had to disconnect with a lot of people and other distractions to focus on my writing. But it paid off in the end.