Don't do this. [ Advice for new webnovel writers. ]

Kuropon

First of all, this is just my two cents so just take it how it is. I've been writing for over a year now, I've had moderate success with my writing even though it isn't anything special but my Patreon is doing well. So this advice is mostly for people that would like to start writing their own webnovels and maybe earn some money while at it.

It's just about a certain thing that I've seen people do before they start posting their novel which I think is a mistake in the long run. What could that be, you might ask? Well, I'm talking about writing a massive amount of chapters before even releasing one out into the open...

Yes, I think it's a big mistake to prewrite 30 chapters, sometimes saw people doing more before releasing. Most people say that they want a safety net if something happens so they have a large backlog that they can go back to.

But in my opinion, if you aren't able to constantly write then you're probably not suited for the webnovel format. From what I've seen, there is a certain thing that happens with this approach. The stockpile runs out and the story goes on hiatus.

Most people when they have a month's worth of chapters in a backlog will start to get lazy. This is the biggest issue here, you lose consistency in your work. If you stop writing for a prolonged time, picking up your old story will be very hard and this is when a lot of people just give up.

So my advice to you is, to not stockpile chapters. At least not more than a week ahead, this will keep you more focused on the work ahead. While if you have a stockpile that you can just dip into constantly you will start to put the writing off for later, or even start a new story and just let the old one die.

Anyway, that was the point that I wanted to touch upon xD Cya.

360048951933796362.png

Jamminrabbit

Im just dropping by with a counterpoint to say stockpiling isn't for everyone. But stockpiling isn't a bad idea if you are a consistent writer. In fact, it's one of the best things you can do if you are a consistent writer or treat it like a job. If you're hoping to make money from a patreon, they will be expecting consistent releases. That safety net allows leg room, once again, as long as you are a consistent writer.

Kuropon

Yeah, I do have a stockpile of a weeks worth of chapters. But I think I would start getting lazy if I had two or three weeks of them. Then it would start to get harder to go back into the zone of writing. I know this as it happened to me before, almost quit writing because of it.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Again, it all depends on the person. In my case, I just want to keep writing and writing and writing and so on so on so on, no matter how many chapters are in the stockpile. But well, I enjoy this thoroughly and most of the day when I'm not writing I'm looking forward to the moment I have some spare time.

Those who would actually get lazy are already getting those vibes with a few chapters. Mostly. There are different approaches and the first thing a new author should do is figure which one is his own. How many words they can comfortably write. How consistently. How often. Etc.

Yes, I'm addicted to writing.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
^
It's the middleground that's the issue. Either write all of it, or do as OP suggests. Trying to do something in between is generally a bad idea (for new authors, at least).
I like stockpiling so I can edit for consistency. I'm accustomed to editing an entire novel (written by others) in one go, so I worry that I'll release something towards the end that won't add up to what I've written in the beginning. However, I also feel compelled to release some of it now because there's no telling what the future may hold. Some of you already know this, but one of my boyfriends died unexpectedly in 2015. I might die while trying to give birth. I might catch Covid and die that way. While I have no intention to die prematurely and leave readers hanging, I also have a message I need to share in order to make my time on this planet worthwhile. I've written enough to express the core elements of my message, and the rest of the story is mostly entertainment at this point, with some fine-tuning on my message.

Then again, I'm not exactly "new" to all this.

Last edited:

JayDirex

I Do All That

First I stock up, then I run out. Then I write one chapter a week. BURN OUT... go on Hiatus...and then I

Stock up again, then I run out. Then I write one chapter a week. BURN OUT... go on Hiatus...and then I

Stock up again, then I run out. Then I write one chapter a week. BURN OUT... go on Hiatus...and then I

because FML

Silver_Sky

There's also the writers feedback that may dissuade them even more from writing/continuing.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Much Agreed. I start with 0 backlog and post all my novels as soon as I finish the 1st chapter. A backlog is something you make once you are sure this novel is a keeper.
Albeit I'm not the best at making those since my patreon has 1 adv chapter right now lol
In my defense I'm barely able to write most days

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Lol, I plan to oneshot release all 30+/- chapters once I manages to finish them and then go on a hiatus.

RimuThighHighs

First of all, this is just my two cents so just take it how it is. I've been writing for over a year now, I've had moderate success with my writing even though it isn't anything special but my Patreon is doing well. So this advice is mostly for people that would like to start writing their own webnovels and maybe earn some money while at it.

It's just about a certain thing that I've seen people do before they start posting their novel which I think is a mistake in the long run. What could that be, you might ask? Well, I'm talking about writing a massive amount of chapters before even releasing one out into the open...

Yes, I think it's a big mistake to prewrite 30 chapters, sometimes saw people doing more before releasing. Most people say that they want a safety net if something happens so they have a large backlog that they can go back to.

But in my opinion, if you aren't able to constantly write then you're probably not suited for the webnovel format. From what I've seen, there is a certain thing that happens with this approach. The stockpile runs out and the story goes on hiatus.

Most people when they have a month's worth of chapters in a backlog will start to get lazy. This is the biggest issue here, you lose consistency in your work. If you stop writing for a prolonged time, picking up your old story will be very hard and this is when a lot of people just give up.

So my advice to you is, to not stockpile chapters. At least not more than a week ahead, this will keep you more focused on the work ahead. While if you have a stockpile that you can just dip into constantly you will start to put the writing off for later, or even start a new story and just let the old one die.

Anyway, that was the point that I wanted to touch upon xD Cya.
I think that's an extremely interesting take and I agree with much of your advice! Do you have any tips for growing your Patreon mines been stagnant and I'm hoping to grow it this year.

jojmist

I have some advice too for new authors as a reader. You know what makes me not read your novel? When you have grammar/spelling errors in your title and synopsis. Biggest turn-offs for me ever wanting to read your novels at all. Makes me think you don't care about your story and that it is full of errors even if it doesn't have any (I wouldn't know, because I won't read it).

CL

What if you RP over a text platform? You could keep your writing skills up while awaiting the next release, right?

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Thanks, I'll remember this advice, I'm surprised that you have a new member tag even though your novel is famous here. Maybe a shy one, huh.