Downloading All Chapters for Authors

• Thread starter Deleted member 12793
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12793

This is a feature request for authors. Downloading all written chapters of a novel to their computer.

I don't know about other authors but I tend to read over chapters sometimes and make changes on scribble. The thing is, while doing that, I'll forget to make those changes to my original file I have saved on my computer. Because of this, every month or so, I have to go and copy & paste each chapter again since I have no idea which chapters I made changes to.

So, I remember seeing a feature on another site that gave authors an easier time in saving their stories.

I don't know if this feature was requested or talked about yet, so sorry if it was! ;^^

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
I love it. RR has something similar that’s of similar convenience. Hope Tony seriously considers this!

Ehao_Truth

I too want this sort of functionality. Perhaps it can be something like allowing the authors to copy all the text from every chapter of their story at once? Or at least more than one chapter at a time.

D

Deleted member 12793

@CautiousTitan @Ehao_Truth Thanks guys! Glad to see there are others who support this. I'm not on RR, so I didn't know about that.

As for copying all text from the story at once, it was what the other site does too. The authors click on a link that only they can see, and it takes them to a page that has all their chapters. You just have to copy and paste it to your word document.

Or, I was thinking of having a way where you can pick the chapters you want to save and then download it. Something like that.

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
There's ways to compile to .EPUB format from PHP. With the sophistication of this site considered, I doubt it would be beyond his skill to do, but there's one danger of that sort of an arrangement.

Systems don't tend to count downloads as views. It would certainly impact author's readership values. The economy would survive, but it would weaken the statistics.

I support this idea, but I would suggest that Tony should bind these downloads only to people who have accounts.

Beyond this, nya, we need to take the IPs into account and log them. If it passes this check and maybe a better one, it moves onto the next step which would be to count the chapters, and this would be possible since the compiler would on the fly grab the chapters and stick them into an EPUB book with reasonable formatting. So, after the chapters are counted, the number is added to an author's views count.

Another caveat is that the lovely hearts we love wouldn't be awarded unless readers went back and gave them for chapters they supported, but I just don't see readers doing this.

So my final suggestion to improve the system and put less load on the system, Tony could add an additional step to when a story is marked as "Completed". When this happens, a EPUB is published to a directory with the story's id and a link is available on the page. Maybe the compiler would have some added blurbs about supporting their favorite authors on ScribbleHub even if the story has finished it's publication period, these stories still need lots of love! <3 =^.^=

And these downloads could add the corresponding views after the before mentioned checks to make sure downloads weren't spammed for a huge stack of views for these stories.

I wouldn't expect this feature any time soon, because it'd be hard to implement it properly, I'd think. So much thought has to go into it without negatively impacting the site.

<3 <3 <3 Nya! <3 <3 <3 (I'm making up for a lack of meowing here cause I'm a little tired and it's hot today XD)

AkalE

It's best kept a feature just for authors and not for the readers. As @Rellawing mentioned, the feature extended to authors could be an issue. Besides many authors might not like the idea of their work being available offline to share as well.

But as for authors, this seems like a really handy tool. I've seen quite a few grumble about how tiresome it is to handle and sort large number of chapters. I can definitely see authors moving over to SH just for the convenience of this feature.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
There's ways to compile to .EPUB format from PHP. With the sophistication of this site considered, I doubt it would be beyond his skill to do, but there's one danger of that sort of an arrangement.

Systems don't tend to count downloads as views. It would certainly impact author's readership values. The economy would survive, but it would weaken the statistics.

I support this idea, but I would suggest that Tony should bind these downloads only to people who have accounts.

Beyond this, nya, we need to take the IPs into account and log them. If it passes this check and maybe a better one, it moves onto the next step which would be to count the chapters, and this would be possible since the compiler would on the fly grab the chapters and stick them into an EPUB book with reasonable formatting. So, after the chapters are counted, the number is added to an author's views count.

Another caveat is that the lovely hearts we love wouldn't be awarded unless readers went back and gave them for chapters they supported, but I just don't see readers doing this.

So my final suggestion to improve the system and put less load on the system, Tony could add an additional step to when a story is marked as "Completed". When this happens, a EPUB is published to a directory with the story's id and a link is available on the page. Maybe the compiler would have some added blurbs about supporting their favorite authors on ScribbleHub even if the story has finished it's publication period, these stories still need lots of love! <3 =^.^=

And these downloads could add the corresponding views after the before mentioned checks to make sure downloads weren't spammed for a huge stack of views for these stories.

I wouldn't expect this feature any time soon, because it'd be hard to implement it properly, I'd think. So much thought has to go into it without negatively impacting the site.

<3 <3 <3 Nya! <3 <3 <3 (I'm making up for a lack of meowing here cause I'm a little tired and it's hot today XD)
I don't understand a single fucking word but it sounds smart and I like it