Dropping a Story

Sam_Carreon

Just asking, what will make you drop a story?

(Just found one dropped in the statistics, I kinda expected it but I'm still curious)

TotallyHuman

If the writer pulls the rug from under me (like implicitly promising yuri and turning the story hetero, or promising a slow progression but having baby mc be superman instead), that would be one reason.
If he story suddenly gets political is another.
It can also begin to drag out, go off the rails or other things that make it obvious that the author is forcing the plot/has no plot in the first place.
There are probably many others

SailusGebel

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

(Just found one dropped in the statistics, I kinda expected it but I'm still curious)
If the plot becomes retarded. Or if there is too much fluff, no action

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□

If the book in the author's opinion is getting boring, if the book isn't very popular, if the author is busy with other books or other things, etc

Western42

....I may be Insane....
Pretty much what everyone has said so far, though I dropped a couple of stories if there is no romance tag and the person is genderbent, then suddenly there is a male love interest that comes out of nowhere.

Daitengu

Let's see...

Author baits with a neat synapsis but I get a different story.

Suddenly the tags/genre shifts to things I'm not interested in. Like, I skip harem and will always drop a non-harem story that goes that route.

Going full on unrealistic JP degen H doujin in a sex scene. Like one story packed a drugged girl filled with toys into a backpack for a week. IRL that girl woulda died from blood lots causing a heart attack or brain damage or a stroke. And she 'loved' it. No thanks.

I give a lot of leeway, but not communicating will have me drop a story. Life happens, people get busy or depressed. All understandable. So long as the author says there's an issue I can sit on a story for a year or two. But if they ghost, I drop it after a month. I've gone so far as to just ignore ANY releases by that author, cause I can't trust them to finish a story.

Grammar can be ignored to some extent if they preface that English isn't their first language. But I'm also not about that paragraph long run-on sentence life. Caps and punctuation aren't optional. Should probably practice those 5th grade basics before an attempt is made. Write for yourself and get a friend or teacher to correct it. Build up your skills some before subjecting yourself to the harshness of the internet. You could be great in the future, but kill off your passion by jumping the gun and getting hated on.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Main reason I drop stuff is if I get bored. No reason to keep on reading if I'm bored out of a story and reading the latest updates feel like a chore.

Other reasons are usually if there are specific developments I dislike. Most notably are big changes on the story that make it hardly feel like the same story it was at the start...

For example, if I was reading a Slice of Life Child Protagonist story with no real plot to it, I'll drop it if a sudden wild timeskip makes the protagonist become a teenager. It completely changes the entire dynamic of the story, and I'm not interested in reading a teenager protag story when I signed up to read a child protag story... It's fine if the story had a real plot that required growing up, or if the growing up part was more gradual and shown slowly... But a wild timeskip will always make me drop the story in those cases.

Another example is reading a fluffy Slice of Life story suddenly have a war break out, then start focusing heavily on the war and its repercussions and whatnot... I was reading a fluffy Slice of Life, not a war story. It's too far from what I wanted to read, so I end up dropping it.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Sometimes I drop a really good story that I'm enjoying just because the author made too satisfying of a conclusion before the actual end of a story, and I just think 'Yeah I'm fine leaving it here.'

Last edited:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I tend to drop it if the author leaves too many loose ends before going to the next arc or problem. I really hate loose ends in stories and often I’ll skip entire volumes to see if the problem or the person that was lost was actually saved.

Sam_Carreon

I tried to look for similar threads before posting but I guess I didn't look hard enough

I see. So usually stories are dropped by readers when the story changes wildly, gets boring, or left hanging.

Kenjona

I tried to look for similar threads before posting but I guess I didn't look hard enough

I see. So usually stories are dropped by readers when the story changes wildly, gets boring, or left hanging.
Or not necessarily changes wildly but unrealistically in the view of the reader. Or adds a something to the story that might fit the story, but is not something you are comfortable with (Such as MC having sex with a 12-13 year old in a story).

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
When plot and character development make way for harem.
I just don't like harem. Even a love triangle is sometimes already too much for me, especially the "we fight (meaning fuck) fair and (almost always) with everyone involved" kind which ist just Mc's harem but with just two members. Can't tell me the relationship is poly without showing how things go without MC involved...

Or when new characters don't get any kind of development or growth after their "arc", which almost always is just
Introduction of new character -> Problem -> MC solves Problem -> New character is now friend/haremon/plot device -> That's all, folks

Forced School arcs or forced tournament arcs are also a no-go. Those almost always appear and only serve to show how AWWSUM MC, YU DA BESTT the main character is. Always the same underdog story as well, Yes, they're easy to write, and yes, they are fairly hard to mess up, but that's it. No risk & no return for a WHOLE ARC is too much. At least do it the way TsukiMichi did and focus on other characters or introduce new characters during those arcs...

And last but not least: Bad editing and/or grammar. That's my personal Vietnam. If you're at least a bit proud of your story then please, please, PLEASE get yoursef an editor. And if you think your story sucks get yourself an editor. Or at least force it through grammarly or word...

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
When plot and character development make way for harem.
I just don't like harem. Even a love triangle is sometimes already too much for me, especially the "we fight (meaning fuck) fair and (almost always) with everyone involved" kind which ist just Mc's harem but with just two members. Can't tell me the relationship is poly without showing how things go without MC involved...

Or when new characters don't get any kind of development or growth after their "arc", which almost always is just
Introduction of new character -> Problem -> MC solves Problem -> New character is now friend/haremon/plot device -> That's all, folks
Actually I'm curious now. Would you consider what I'm writing a poly? That is if you can handle the yuri smut.

D

Deleted member 54065

I drop a story (since I currently read Isekai) if it's a LitRPG. I feel that the characters are being limited with system levels and such, and they don't 'feel like' human.

SternenklarenRitter

1) The MC falls past the moral event horizon. If they start stalking and killing their antagonists, or start killing challengers (even just bandits) they could effortlessly restrain, then I can never like or empathize with that character again. This is the most common reason I drop a story.
2) Dire lack of comic relief. Sometimes even if I like the premise and characters, the grueling slog of misfortune and loss is so constant that reading feels like digging a hole through my arm with a pencil.
3) Unintelligible. While extremely rare, sometimes the writing (or translation maybe) is so disorganized that I just can't make heads or tails of it. When this happens I drop before I finish the first chapter.
4) Extremely long story with interrupted schedule. If a story is hundreds of chapters long, but then goes on hiatus for several months or more before resuming, it can be extremely hard to figure out where I left off or even remember most of the characters' names. This is somewhat frequent, and I haven't really dropped them since I do intend to re-read them from the beginning, but they are indefinitely postponed for now.
Quoting myself here. This kind of thread seems to show up often.