Drug-Addicted MC

JDC_OnPaper

Okay, just a quick question, though I don't know where to ask, Either on Reader General or This one, I don't know.

So, Let me explain such a Thread title, I have written a backlog for a novel I had so dearly planned for the past few days, To put it mildly, the story is set in our Modern world, though in the near future, like near 2100s something, but let me explain more in a vague manner, Technology barely advanced and we Little Shits are unable to get to the moon and stuff. (That's the Background, I won't go into further details, Since I'm still in the writing phase.) [P.S- But Magic, Sorcery, and the Supernatural exists in this world, Oh, and the world has changed due to a world war, not apocalyptic, its more of our modern world, but some countries just disappeared and some rose, like a new world order, Smth like that? IDK? Just think of the world map like the one from 'Irregular at Magic High School']

Now, for the reason MC is a drug-addict, He is not addicted to Cocaine or any of those substances, but he does smoke weed and marijuana, that's about it, MC has a reason for it but I don't plan on explaining it on the first few parts of the novel, but I will reveal the reason soon.

So let me ask a question, What are your views on an MC occasionally smoking Weed, I mean, in some countries it's restricted but legal, and most countries its still an illegal drug, so the question is, How well will he be received? And how many days will my novel get cancelled, Banned, Or reported? (PS: MC is in legal age, will reveal it later in the novel)

I mean, if Sherlock Holmes did cocaine to ease himself, Why can't my MC do it?

Last edited:

Internet-Degenerate

EVERY👏GOOD👏CHARACTER👏HAS👏FLAWS!!

The only limit in writing is your imagination. Nobody can stop you from making your main character smoke weed.

If you want your MC to blaze it every now and then, go for it. Let the babies whine.

If you want your MC to be a hardcore addict who shoots crack through his eyeballs, then do it! SKY'S THE LIMIT!

If you want your MC to be an abusive alcoholic father who takes his anger out on his children by beating them to a bloody pulp with a heavy duty extension cable, then just write it all down. Nothing and no one can stop you. You are a God.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
every one of my mcs, in every one of my novels, is addicted to something. it's not a flaw, it's life

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
lol the main character for my main novel is a major druggie. So you can guess my views on them. Long as its used for recreational purposes instead of trading your daughters for your next fix, its fine

longer

Balls
Now, for the reason MC is a drug-addict, He is not addicted to Cocaine or any of those substances, but he does smoke weed and marijuana, that's about it, MC has a reason for it but I don't plan on explaining it on the first few parts of the novel, but I will reveal the reason soon.
Well occasional usage doesn't equate to addiction. And even if a character is either addicted or someone who just does drugs from time to time, you shouldn't have to worry about getting cancelled or reported. As for reception, this depends on the readers and how you write it. Nonetheless, reception should be fine since people perceive drug abuse as a sort of flaw that characters have and can possibly overcome.

In my own case, I have a bad habit of self inserting by making my characters almost alcoholics. And nothing bad has happened so far.

Vnator

If you want your MC to be an abusive alcoholic father who takes his anger out on his children by beating them to a bloody pulp with a heavy duty extension cable, then just write it all down
Rogersimon10, is that you?

Armored99

Harem-phobic
One of the worst character flaws imaginable : Stoner-Pothead

- Unmotivated
- Usually don't bath regularly
- Insists they now know some deeper truth.
- Tells you its not addictive.
- Either has job and smoking is their hobby.
- or is jobless with a hobby that might help them with money.
- If the second option they're also living on someone else's couch.
- Pretends they're laid back, but they're really just apathetic.
- Say their really empathetic however they're often very inconsiderate.
- Tell you it cures cancer but the chemical that actually has studies on it
- is CBD and not the THC that makes you high. Additionally strains bred for
- Smoking have very little CBD and much higher THC.
- Has taken brain altering chemicals and insists it has no effect on the personality.
- If you don't like weed or have had a bad experience
- they tell you that it was just a bad strain you must've had.
- Will always say its better being a stoner than an alcoholic
- because alcoholics abuse children, but they only neglect theirs.

Layenlml

Feels like a nice touch to add at the end of a chapter or a scene without mentioning it directly and for the viewer to realize that he does it every time he can.

It is your novel, just do what you want. I doubt there is a problem unless you make a fake propaganda of how heavenly and all mighty cure-all a real drug is.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
As long as you can juatify it I guess... I mean I had read in previous works that some MCs eat babies for a good reason like their alignment, cultivation technique or it is as simple as they are basically human shit.

Also, smoking weed isn't a big deal, or any of the illegal substance as long as you can still function as a basic decent human being.

Basic: able to perform everyday mundane stuff with little to no effort.

Decent: while this should be included into basic, apparently human decency like greet people or being nice is seen as optional.

Human being or whatever being with the alignment chart may be.

The reason you give, if any, can be as simple as "just because I can" or as complex as you want. It is your book.

KittraMcBriar

- Unmotivated
- Has taken brain altering chemicals and insists it has no effect on the personality.

Interesting. I’m a stoner and I:

—have written well over 500,000 words worth in my novel projects over the past few years and completed several art projects, including my book covers which are all my own work. I have achieved my dream job and gotten to do licensed work related to pretty much all of my favorite intellectual properties. My hobbies include writing, learning Japanese and Hindi, and exploring new places
—Bathe very frequently
—Don’t think I know any particular “deeper truth” or even that such a thing exists
—Know that almost anything which produces happy chemicals in the brain can be addictive
—don’t claim to be empathetic, and I’m kind of wary of people who do
—won’t tell you weed cures cancer. It’s more complicated than that and the field is way behind where it should be because of
the stigma against it
—won’t tell you that it’s just a bad strain if you had a negative experience with weed. It’s not for everyone.
—don’t have kids to neglect and never will because I don’t want them, and I try not to be judgmental of alchoholics

And I’m not unique. I know plenty of “stoners” who are like me in a fair amount of ways.

Which one or two particular stoners hurt you? Lol

Anyway, OP—you do you and write the character you want. There are always gonna be people like this dude, but he doesn’t matter. There’s still a huge audience for you. People are flawed, people have vices and addictions. It makes sense for fictional characters to have them too, and frankly it makes them more believable and interesting.

KittraMcBriar

Hey, if giving me an excuse to talk about myself on a writing forum where part of the whole point is to participate and draw attention to your work feels like an accomplishment to you, who am I to take that away? Enjoy, friend. And thank you.

Really should get around to putting my art and links in the signature though, come to think of it

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I personally don't identify with protagonists who do drugs because I don't do them. However, drugs can be an important element in a story:

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery

- Unmotivated

You're describing a personality, not stoners in particular.

Source: I'm like that :D

Btw, count of Montecristo is addicted to hashish land it's almost written as a good thing lol

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Okay, just a quick question, though I don't know where to ask, Either on Reader General or This one, I don't know.

So, Let me explain such a Thread title, I have written a backlog for a novel I had so dearly planned for the past few days, To put it mildly, the story is set in our Modern world, though in the near future, like near 2100s something, but let me explain more in a vague manner, Technology barely advanced and we Little Shits are unable to get to the moon and stuff. (That's the Background, I won't go into further details, Since I'm still in the writing phase.) [P.S- But Magic, Sorcery, and the Supernatural exists in this world, Oh, and the world has changed due to a world war, not apocalyptic, its more of our modern world, but some countries just disappeared and some rose, like a new world order, Smth like that? IDK? Just think of the world map like the one from 'Irregular at Magic High School']

So let me ask a question, What are your views on an MC occasionally smoking Weed, I mean, in some countries it's restricted but legal, and most countries its still an illegal drug, so the question is, How well will he be received? And how many days will my novel get cancelled, Banned, Or reported? (PS: MC is in legal age, will reveal it later in the novel)

I personally don’t like weed and stuff of that nature but I find it acceptable to have characters use those things. And I believe in a future setting weed and hallucinogens could be simulated via technology.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

- Unmotivated
Lol a stoner stole your girlfriend and it shows. You're basically cherry picking the absolute most hardcore stoners, cuz those are the only guys these thing could even be remotely true for.

Weed makes you happy and hungry, anyone else who says there are any real negative effects are asshats, and they need weed the most.

Listen buddy, I'm sorry a pothead fucked your girl harder than you ever could. Really I am. All imma say about it

Last edited:

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Somewhat unrelated but now I'm thinking about a MC in a fantasy world that's addicted to powerful hallucinogens that also act as magic enhancers, and now he has schizophrenia because of it's abuse

Could also make it like, part of his training when he was picked up as an orphan got him addicted to the drug, but maybe the drug also has effects like seeing spirits, other planes, stuff like that. So could also be a little beneficial along with the other "normal" schizophrenia stuff. Idk

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation

I like characters who kill people and do human experimentation, but weed... You sicko, we live in a society, dammit!
(jk, I don't thing anybody will be mad)