Writing Easiest Genre to Start Out Writing in?

• Thread starter Deleted member 57675
  • Start date

Which genre is easier to start out writing in?

• romance

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • horror

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • tragedy

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • xianxia

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • scifi

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • slice of life

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • comedy

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 57675

Eh...

Which genres are best paired with other genres?

Last edited by a moderator:

Agentt

Thighs
I would say isekai? Majority of template is already written for you and you only have to fill small gaps. Mastering slice of life can be difficult if you just run out of fun things to do.

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
If we are talking about easiest, then I think none of those three are particularly easy. Better luck simply writing slice of life, or some mindless power-fantasy, at least if we are talking just things being easy. Though I do believe in writing whatever one desires even if the end-result isn't ideal, it's about the experience gained. While, I do not think power-fantasy is easy to write in a good manner, it's relatively easy in a decent manner. Plot holes? What are those, I can't see them over my cool powers!

D

Deleted member 57675

I would say isekai? Majority of template is already written for you and you only have to fill small gaps. Mastering slice of life can be difficult if you just run out of fun things to do.
Not really an isekai fan.

P00tis

Probably isekai. I mean the template is easy. X gets killed by a truck. Or is summoned to another world by a god or some powerful magic person. X is given a system and a reallu op skill. X is told to go kill z and save the world. X has lots of fights on the way there meets lots of interesting characters on his journey there. X finally makes it to where z is located after 200+ chapters. X kills Z and the story is over.

Bonus points for:
Making the person who summoned x the bad guy.
Throwing in some believable romance.
Some interesting politics in the world you are building.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Comedy. All you have to do is right down your everyday life! I'm jk

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
The easiest genre to start out with is diary. You don't even have to do much thinking, reality already wrote it and all you gotta do is plagiarize.

D

Deleted member 57675

The easiest genre to start out with is diary. You don't even have to do much thinking, reality already wrote it and all you gotta do is plagiarize.
already done that. so far been much better bout it this yr.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Fanfiction.

The genre doesn't matter. All that matters is that you get experience. Looking at someone else's work is the best way to understand what's good and what's bad in writing. Comparing your 'copy' to the original is even more effective in that.

Templary

Feasy, it's Xiaxia, op mc and half of the plot is already done

Jemini

I would have to say the easiest genre to start out with is non-fiction. All you have to do is research some real life event or fact and then present it in an effective manner.

When it comes to fiction, there is no one "easy" genre. That said, whatever genre you consume the most of in your reading will be considerably easier for you to write since reading it will make you more subconsciously aware of what goes into it and you will find yourself following those rules naturally.

Jemini

Comedy. All you have to do is right down your everyday life! I'm jk

I am very glad you're joking with this. Comedy is quite likely the single hardest genre to write. You need to not only come up with the gags, you have to be such an expert with timing that you can control the flow of the joke in written format. That is an incredibly rare skill.

If you plan to write comedy, you are going to have to put a lot of effort into practicing the craft. I would actually not know where to begin in written form. A part of me wants to say practice in some stand-up clubs. With stand-up, you get some live feed-back from your audience as to whether or not the jokes are landing. But, stand-up actually is a bit different from written jokes. It's a very different skill set.

Something to note, though. I have found it rare that I find anything with the actual "comedy" tag to be funny. However, I will laugh uproariously at the banter in some stories that are primarily fantasy-adventure. So, my suggestion would be to start there. Find some fantasy-adventure novels with some REALLY good banter scenes that are laugh-out-loud funny.

I could suggest the one rare comedy-tagged story that I actually do find funny though. This guy is pretty darn good. He was already having a fair amount of success on Webnovel before he wrote this one, so he'd already honed his craft. This meant he was already an expert writer before he tried his hand at comedy. That seems to be the secret sauce, having already honed your skill with a more serious genre.

Templary

Interesting. Perhaps not that kind of xianxia one's looking into. Have to dive into worldbuilding and myths.
In part but you can use a simple scheme called the Mc op but underestimated, something like this:
"Hey who's that?" Mob #1
"oh he's the trash that came from the lower sect, the lower continent, the lower realm, plus he has the lowest spiritual talent in the sect, worthless trash" mob #2
*Mc proceeds to use the 3-Legged Black Mutant Dragon's 9 Forbidden Techniques*

Agentt

Thighs
*pats*
It seems you are having difficulty chooeing now